Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21505 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 10:21:37 »

Out of interest what would you have done to change it. I think the lack of personnel at the moment is really showing when it comes to changing the game

Agree with this, the only thing "different" that we have when available is McKirdy - all other options are like for like - this point on it's own limits our opportunities to have a plan B that is significantly different to plan A.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 10:44:30 »

Garner has 22 players to choose from - the 18 from the matchday squad on Saturday plus Grant, Williams, McKirdy and Lyden. The problem is that too many of the ‘attacking’ players are all very similar. Not enough variety.

Yeah I think you are right here Aud. For me the only player who are likely to offer something a bit 'different' are McKirdy and Dabre. I think at the moment Garner is too cautious to risk using either of them as they are probably (and this is a total guess) less tactically (st)able than the rest of the squad.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 10:58:25 »

Having only seen home games, I like the 3CBs and 2 wing backs - we look more solid defensively, which is important as we don’t have a lot of goals in the team. Also, without exception, the other teams have been packed with tall players, so we need the extra height defending set pieces.
I also feel that either (or both) of Williams and McGirdy have made us look more threatening when they have come on as subs - possibly because their pace worries tiring defenders in the last 20-30 mins.
This is a tight league - we are 5 points off the bottom 2 and 3 from the top 2. Continue to keep clean sheets and start scoring and we can move up the table.
Finally, remember where we were 2 weeks before the start of the season. To be on 13 points, 2 defeats from 9 - most of us would have taken that before we played  Scunthorpe.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:00:35 »

Well, i feel we are a good side, without the threat of being a great one.

final third each and every time.

Glad we have a club, doing better than expected, im all good, if a little frustrated at times.

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #274 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:06:25 »

Glad we have a club, doing better than expected, im all good, if a little frustrated at times.
This sentence sums it up totally, of course we are happy to have a team still but frustrated as we are not THAT far from being a very good side.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:17:52 »

he seemed to be before international duty. .
Exactly. Playing well enough to get international recognition,then not even in the squad. I get the initial delay but this is a guy I think we've missed

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:26:18 »

I was tired on Saturday and disappointed that we had dropped two points at home to what to me looked like a bang average side. I was looking forward to the game having missed the Northampton one. I was hoping to see us win, but I felt we never really looked like scoring.

I think everyone has said it all already. But my summary is:
- We play possession based football
- We are sometimes a little too slow in our play
- We rely on being able to make some killer passes in the final third to create chances
- Not for the first time, our final ball was poor on Saturday
- Many of our 'forwards' are learning and their reading of play and decision making is sometimes off
- No preseason means some of our players are struggling with strength, fitness and speed of thought

But:
- We have a team
- We have some exciting players, most of whom will improve
- The style of play is more watchable than last year
- We are not fighting for survival at the bottom of the league (.....yet!)
- What we are good at we are very good at. What we are not, we are not!
- We have all got a bit excited by some excellent play from an understandably inconsistent L2 team

I will continue to be disappointed when we don't win and elated when we do. If we draw, I will rue missed opportunities. I've done the same for nearly 50 years and won't/can't change now!
« Last Edit: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:28:25 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:29:10 »

This sentence sums it up totally, of course we are happy to have a team still but frustrated as we are not THAT far from being a very good side.
Wish I'd summed it up like that! :-)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:38:02 »

I think 99% of the fan base is of the same opinion. When we play a quick passing game we open teams up with ease. When we are deliberate and slow teams close us down to quickly and easily and we rush ourselves and make mistakes.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #279 on: Monday, September 27, 2021, 11:50:31 »

Its such a shame as I thought Colchester were one of if not the poorest sides we have played so far, they were poor at passing, had little or no threat in front of goal and actually created very little, they also let us have to ball and play with a certain amount of freedom without closing us down and pressing us high as Port Vale and Northampton did.

We should really have got all 3 points with better finishing by Simpson, but that said he still impressed me as he has in most games recently.

What did piss me off though was Gladwin (not picking on him specifically as I thought he did ok over all) having 2 or 3 chances to shoot from around the box but chose not to even have a pop, Iandolo and Gilbert were the only ones who risked a shot from distance when the chance arose and Iandolos was on his weak right foot and Gilberts was high and wide when they did try.

Gilbert looked eager and full of running at times but he is not a striker or natural number 10, hes a winger who is being played more centrally and doesn't offer Simpson much backup when playing in a free/number 10 role, he is far more a creator.

It was also nice to see KKH get the ball a lot more but his final ball was pretty poor unfortunately but his pace and dribbling skills got him into some excellent positions even though he was at times occupying the same space as Gladwin down the right.

It was far from poor and 2nd half we played quite well IMO but that killer edge is what is missing, blatantly, what with us having only scored 9 goals from 9 games in the league and only scoring more than a single goal just once so far in the 1st game of the season.

Although if you keep a clean sheet then you can't lose, something we have done on 4 occassions so far in the league, thats the same amount of clean sheets that we had ALL of last season already.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: