Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Colchester United pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 21501 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:01:24 »

But he doesn’t give the slightest intention of changing a thing. Every game is precisely the same.

8 non scoring 1st halves out of 9 cannot be coincidence. There is a lack of clear cut chances let alone actual goals.

I’m sorry, but we won’t get promoted playing like this.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:02:02 »

It's dull, boring and predictable, afraid of crossing and shooting.  
They were utter toss but we just didn't look like scoring.  We won't go down but we will lose an awful lot of casual fans playing like that.

Its mystifying how Garner thinks that's the best we've played

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:05:08 »

The best we’ve played is the second half at Scunthorpe before any flair or devilment had been drilled out of the players.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:07:01 »

I struggled with that today.
Without doubt 2 points dropped.
18 shots with only 6 on target, 68% possession and 634 completed passes.
The final 3rd lack of quality, both flanks poor delivery and on the 18 yard box showed lack of experience.

I was tired and frustrated watching it and had to have a coffee or would have fallen asleep with the long drive home.

This is spades 🤬
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:09:56 »

Is it not possible that a manager can improve like players do with experience? Garner seems like a smart guy, he's not likely to be mystified as to what the problem is with the team at the moment. Maybe he's too stubborn to bend from his principles, but he's only managed 44 professional games, this isn't a coach with decades of experience who isn't likely to deviate from what he knows like Sheridan was.

Not saying he'll definitely become a top class manager, but I think there's enough there to want to give him time. The Colchester comms were talking a lot about "pretty possession" today and that's clearly a fair criticism, but it's a decent platform to build from.

The fact he hasn’t changed the style towards the end of games we’ve been drawing or even losing indicates to me at least - he either doesn’t know how to fix the problem or he doesn’t think there is a problem.

What’s he waiting for?
If it was purely a personnel issue you could argue his hands were tied till January but it’s not.
It’s his either inability or unwillingness to deviate from his one and only tactic.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:10:21 »

The best we’ve played is the second half at Scunthorpe before any flair or devilment had been drilled out of the players.

It's a strange league table at the moment as Bradford, Carlisle, Mansfield & Salford are all struggling.

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:11:58 »

I've mentioned this before, but only Gladwin looks natural when shooting, nobody else gives me any confidence they have confidence.

Overall we were the better team, as we may be on many occasions, but we are like a very good team playing in Treacle at times.  I can't quite describe it, but we look over coached, if that is possible.  Everything is methodical, planned, there isn't anything happening off the cuff.  As a result we lack a cutting edge.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:17:05 »

Ironically it probably is.  First 20 mins at Northampton was also the best but we didn't have a shot and could have been 2-0 down.

The style doesn't really bother me, it's the intent, slow counter attacks and Conroy having 100-150 passes every game.
Don't hoof but attack with intent, bodies in the box etc.  They all look scared, just shoot already.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:25:35 »

First half all vey meh but the second half was the best 45 I’ve seen this season. Yes, lacking a cutting edge, yes, not scoring enough but I think today showed some individual and collective improvement.

If casual fans can’t cope with what’s being served up, then they can go do something else as far as I’m concerned.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:33:28 »

The fact he hasn’t changed the style towards the end of games we’ve been drawing or even losing indicates to me at least - he either doesn’t know how to fix the problem or he doesn’t think there is a problem.

What’s he waiting for?
If it was purely a personnel issue you could argue his hands were tied till January but it’s not.
It’s his either inability or unwillingness to deviate from his one and only tactic.

Summed up my frustration today.
It was begging to be changed.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:34:57 »

Just got in, and not read back but I thought we played well today. Defended well, limited their chances, passed well, there was also more movement, tempo and pressing than in previous games. The only thing missing was a goal.
There were some good performances through the side too - Conroy, despite having to manage being yellow carded after 8 mins (effectively on a tightrope for most of the game - any mistimed challenge would be a red) and Critchlow handheld Nouble well, Iandolo and KKH provided a lot of attacking threat, Reed excellent in midfield, Gladwin more mobile and had his best game so far, Gilbert provides a threat up front and Simpson’s work rate was excellent - although he should have scored with the header.
Remembering where /when we started after the takeover - I was really encouraged by today’s performance- things are starting to gel. Don’t forget that the last promotion team only really went on a run after a scrappy 1-0 win at home over Stevenage (93rd minute winner from Doyle) in early October.
I also think that the style of play helps us to get a better quality of loanee than a L2 team might normally be able to get - would Gilbert or KKH be loaned out to a team who play like Mansfield or Port Vale.

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:41:17 »

Just got in, and not read back but I thought we played well today. Defended well, limited their chances, passed well, there was also more movement, tempo and pressing than in previous games. The only thing missing was a goal.
There were some good performances through the side too - Conroy, despite having to manage being yellow carded after 8 mins (effectively on a tightrope for most of the game - any mistimed challenge would be a red) and Critchlow handheld Nouble well, Iandolo and KKH provided a lot of attacking threat, Reed excellent in midfield, Gladwin more mobile and had his best game so far, Gilbert provides a threat up front and Simpson’s work rate was excellent - although he should have scored with the header.
Remembering where /when we started after the takeover - I was really encouraged by today’s performance- things are starting to gel. Don’t forget that the last promotion team only really went on a run after a scrappy 1-0 win at home over Stevenage (93rd minute winner from Doyle) in early October.
I also think that the style of play helps us to get a better quality of loanee than a L2 team might normally be able to get - would Gilbert or KKH be loaned out to a team who play like Mansfield or Port Vale.

Very much this. I enjoyed the game immensely. Shame about the result.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 19:55:12 »

Really wished I enjoyed it.   Not missed a game yet and it's the same every week.  Look good but no end product and too many pointless risks taken.

They were there for the taking today and we dillied and dallied like we normally do.

Really pleased we have a team to watch and there is so much potential but we just don't seem to have a plan to score goals. 
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 20:33:50 »

When would you say that was then, if not today?

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, September 25, 2021, 22:14:05 »

The fact that a supposedly fit Grant is not a "shoe-in" to the squad,let alone the team is a worry to me

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: