Poll
Question: Yes or no?
Count me in. - 0 (0%)
Not for me. - 42 (87.5%)
Couldn't give a shit. - 6 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WC every two years?  (Read 4236 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 16, 2021, 22:26:00 »

Of course they want it every year and with as many teams in it as possible.   

Lots of small backhanders is harder to find than big juicy ones.

Seems totally self indulgent and would devalue the competition completely.   

Cynical fucker.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 00:15:35 »

It's not for me but with 24 teams already qualifying for the Euros...I think it makes sense for that tournament to become a 32 team tournament. Only a matter of time. Don't really fully agree with that but it has to be either 4 groups of 4 (16 teams) or 8 groups of 4 (32 teams).

It was quite the farce this Summer whereby a team would qualify for the next round if they finished 3rd and made the "group of death" much less savage. You could get through with just one point (and a better GD). They won't revert to 16 teams in the Euros so personally would prefer it to bridge from 24 to 32.

An actual World Cup every other year though would certainly take "even more" of the already dull sheen, off the gold and malachite cup formerly known as Jules Rimet Trophy. What would that mean for the existing prestige of the Henri Delaunay too? Would it be similar to the way the domestic cups have been devalued (for the bigger teams), for example the FA Cup?

Maybe this is the kind of angle FIFA/UEFA want? A kind of "divisional" set of World Cups. The better teams entering one and the less so qualifying for the other.

Whatever format was decided on, it's a terrible idea in practice. Part of the charm (much like in a similar way the FA Cup retains its charm) is a team like Togo, Panama, New Zealand, Lithuania, Wales, etc qualifying for the World Cup and either drawing a big team in their group or maybe qualifying and facing a big team in the 2nd round. The pride of having said that they played in the World  Cup Finals. Who gives a fuck if it was for Luxembourg or Eritrea but also the journey in qualifying too. I think it'd be a bit of an insult to those smaller teams who do qualify for tournaments already. They've earned the right to be there not just making up the numbers because "it's your turn to be in a tournament, as we're focusing on global expansion".

If the case becomes farcical (in footy? never?!) to a point of no return then it won't be long before we have Nations of Antarctica submitting a national squad to the World Cup.

***If you made it this far, my initial thought on seeing the thread title was someone suggesting folk get their bathroom redone every couple of years. I've been left deeply disappointed, as I thought there would be suggestions of different floor tiles, light fittings and go to sink suggestions!***

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 03:30:45 »

I actually quite like the idea of a lower nations World Cup.

I guess the best bet would be to do qualifying as it’s done now and then the best placed but non qualified for the WC nations go into the *other* World Cup.

Similar to teams going out in the CL knockout stages but going into the EL.

Therefore it would still be in the teams best interest to qualify as best as possible. Knock on effect is you’d have to condense qualifying to have for the less WC one year but then the nations who have qualified for the WC would have over a year until their WC. Then you’d have say Euros, Other WC, WC, break.

So you get the extra tournament in but the top, top players are still only playing through their off season every 2 years.

I dunno. Either that or schedule the Woman’s WC in between and try & make it a bigger spectacle
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 05:57:48 »

I quite like the nation's league for that reason.   

Teams of similar standing play each other with a reward and jeopardy.   For years Luxembourg were the whipping boys but suddenly had a chance of winning something, went on a run of wins and then held their own in the league above.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 17, 2021, 06:01:01 by Pookemon » Logged
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 06:00:03 »

Cynical fucker.

It was slightly tongue in cheek but money is definitely a big part of it and probably more so than fans needs or wants.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 06:01:17 »

I actually quite like the idea of a lower nations World Cup.

I guess the best bet would be to do qualifying as it’s done now and then the best placed but non qualified for the WC nations go into the *other* World Cup.

Similar to teams going out in the CL knockout stages but going into the EL.

Therefore it would still be in the teams best interest to qualify as best as possible. Knock on effect is you’d have to condense qualifying to have for the less WC one year but then the nations who have qualified for the WC would have over a year until their WC. Then you’d have say Euros, Other WC, WC, break.

So you get the extra tournament in but the top, top players are still only playing through their off season every 2 years.

I dunno. Either that or schedule the Woman’s WC in between and try & make it a bigger spectacle

I had this thought too. If it was in place last time around it would have included the likes of Italy, Netherlands, USA, Ivory Coast - I think there’d be plenty enough interest.

It would be an international equivalent of the europa league, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Gives tournament opportunities to smaller teams who’d struggle to make the World Cup, and the bigger teams would get memed about being in it but ultimately once it got to the later rounds would be taking it very seriously

Things get better but they never get good
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 08:12:31 »

Totally against it for reasons already given. It's all about money not football. If they get this then it won't be long until you have a world league pyramid and cup to give crumbs to the smaller teams.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 08:22:27 »

It's all about money not football.

That ship sailed about 30 years ago...
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 16:16:00 »

Another practical problem is how do they organise  qualifying?
Currently we have (say) World Cup in 2022, Euro qualifiers souring 2022/3 and 2023/4, with Euros in 24, World cup qualifiers over the two years to the 2026 WC
If you have the main tournaments more often you have to condense qualifiers which means more international breaks - there aren’t enough dates in the calendar unless they want to flog players into the ground - there are too many games / competitions already.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 16:20:32 »

Another practical problem is how do they organise  qualifying?
Currently we have (say) World Cup in 2022, Euro qualifiers souring 2022/3 and 2023/4, with Euros in 24, World cup qualifiers over the two years to the 2026 WC
If you have the main tournaments more often you have to condense qualifiers which means more international breaks - there aren’t enough dates in the calendar unless they want to flog players into the ground - there are too many games / competitions already.
You have qualifiers for the plebs and guarantee the top 20 odd countries entry. That will mean less overall games keeping the top cubs happy.
Once that's done then a league is easy
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 17:15:01 »

I don't remember the home nations, seems unnecessary to me, we all play each other fairly often anyway.

The last time we played Scotland prior to the Euros was 1996 FFS.

Once every 26 years is not very often in my book.

You seem to have very low expectations of "often" Are you not getting much KT?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 17:31:39 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England%E2%80%93Scotland_football_rivalry#All_official_matches_between_England_and_Scotland

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, September 17, 2021, 18:48:57 »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: