Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22753 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 14:35:32 »

The piss stains are debating this very question at the moment. Most blame the stadium itself - location, absolute dump. But it’s been like that since they moved in. And even after a couple of relatively decent seasons, their support is slowly dwindling. Struggling to get above 7000 home fans in. And that after a season of no fans at all.

This is why it’s so important for us to build upon the present feelgood factor at the moment and not to let it fizzle out.

Momentum is vital.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 14:43:56 »

That depends on the opposition surely? We were bullied yesterday and lacked someone to break up play against their stronger midfielders. We missed him

Perhaps.
It might have made us a bit more solid without the ball but wouldn’t have given us less attacking impetus
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 18:25:31 »

Didn't get back until late last night and busy today so this is my first chance to put my thoughts into words!  We started so slowly - becoming a bit of a trait? - and allowed Vale to get a good foothold in the game, and it seemed we were always struggling.  Personally thought we were lucky to still be in the game at half time.  Great goal early in the second half and I felt we would go on and win the gaame from there.  Sadly it didn't work out and apart from a few odd minutes through the second half Vale strolled past us with ease.  Their right winger seemed to be given the freedom of the CG, always unmarked.  Although we did improve in the second half we were never good enough on the day.  Don't get me started on that ref either, seen some bad ones but he was right up there with them!  Need to get a bit more physicality in the team to match the sort of teams we are likely to come up against.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 18:39:13 »

good summary Ronnie
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 18:50:24 »

I’ve said before, I don’t give a shit what Wellens had done/is doing at other clubs. At Swindon it was great to watch.

Quite rightly, the club has had a honeymoon period. That won’t, and shouldn’t, last forever.

Agree. It’s fantastic to have a club. But you can be grateful for that and believe at the same time that we’re missing some key ingredients and need a heavy dose of urgency in our play. We seem to focus a bit much on the way we play as the aim, not what that play achieves.
Flashheart

« Reply #365 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 19:09:42 »

Do people still think they'd accept it if we just stayed up?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 19:23:14 »

Depends what you mean. Staying up but flirting with relegation - definitely not acceptable.

Staying up but flirting with play offs, but missing out - then, yes.

This isn’t a ‘staying up’ squad. It should be a play off squad. I’m on the fence regarding the manager, though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 19:30:11 »

Quote from: Flashheart

I'd have been perfectly happy before we started signing players.

But the players we bought were far better than  I expected.

So to answer the question, I'd feel not disappointed as such, but a missed opportunity .

As above though I'll be disappointed if we were dragged into the relegation battle
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 19:37:27 »

Yeah more than happy. We're miles ahead of where I thought we'd be and this squad is only going to get better...

Also I know our players are on 1 year deals but with Clem in charge I can't see the mass squad overhaul every summer. Some continuity will be welcome
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 20:33:48 »

I quite fancied the front four we picked, but they didn't work.  Gilbert has to be the one behind the striker because he is more direct and will commit defenders to come to him.

The problem is Payne cannot be trusted to play wide.  Williams should be able to do it.

Gladwin was the weak point for the midfield, he really cannot be in a two.

Left back is a worry unless we move Critchlow out there and bring Odimayo in to centre back.  We were targeted there all game and it's not the only time.

Overall, plenty of promise and much better than expected given the summer, but still look a little short of a challenge.  Try and hang on to the coat tails and strengthen in January and we could have a bit more about us.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #370 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 08:53:44 »

I quite fancied the front four we picked, but they didn't work.  Gilbert has to be the one behind the striker because he is more direct and will commit defenders to come to him.

The problem is Payne cannot be trusted to play wide.  Williams should be able to do it.

Gladwin was the weak point for the midfield, he really cannot be in a two.

Left back is a worry unless we move Critchlow out there and bring Odimayo in to centre back.  We were targeted there all game and it's not the only time.

Overall, plenty of promise and much better than expected given the summer, but still look a little short of a challenge.  Try and hang on to the coat tails and strengthen in January and we could have a bit more about us.
Agree 100% on all of that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 09:03:36 »

Decent cup run to Bri gin some money would be a bonus too.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #372 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 09:04:09 »

I see we had 1000 more home supporters than the pox, and they were playing a local game too.
I would rather 1000 leass fans and beat Port Vale though
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 09:26:46 »

Decent cup run to Bri gin some money would be a bonus too.

Not going to happen.  I can see it in the stars, we're playing Maidstone in the first round of the FA cup.  Curran defensive masterclass and hat trick inevitable.

Never knowingly overstated.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #374 on: Monday, September 13, 2021, 09:40:00 »

I would rather 1000 leass fans and beat Port Vale though
True that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: