Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22761 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 09:25:29 »

Urgency! That痴 the word. None of our play is urgent enough.

We値l pick up enough points away from home, but we値l continue to struggle at the CG.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #346 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 09:54:55 »

The point was we didn't pass the ball!

We couldn't get the ball from the defenders to the midfield to the striker.

We picked an unbalanced team and people put into certain positions didn't do their job.

This is how I saw it. Yes we had a lot of possession but that was generally between Jojo, Conroy, Reed and Crichlow. And it was at walking pace. In the first half I felt sorry for Simpson. He couldn't get into the game except for long balls punted to him, back to goal - and he isn't going to win anything in the air as that isn't his game. Second half we managed  to bring him into the game and he was unplayable at times. 

I was really encouraged by Garner's comments after the game- he saw the lethargy, the lack of zip etc and is going to review it and tweal it. If it was Williams in charge, it would be "same again next week".

I honestly think we have foundations of a really good side. We need to be a bit patient.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:11:37 »

...but adding Grant (which a lot of people are claiming was what was missing) to that just adds another player to pass it between 30 odd yards from our own goals
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:24:14 »

PV player goes to ground, ref shakes head, no foul, PV player then lies prostrate, ref blows whistle and gives the free kick.
The poor total stranger I was next to was in no doubt about my opinions when that played out. The ref was grinning whilst shaking head. It was maddening

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:34:15 »

...but adding Grant (which a lot of people are claiming was what was missing) to that just adds another player to pass it between 30 odd yards from our own goals
Problem is none of the other midfield players actually tackle so unless you have Grant or a player like him teams run through the middle of us and we struggle to win the ball back. The lack of bite in our midfield was abundantly clear yesterday.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:36:08 »

We've gone into the season without an out and out left back and with 1 out and out (young, inexperienced and raw) striker. Left becoming an issue, every single team is attacking down that side and they are doing it easily. Hunt isn't gonna find the form he had under Wellens (same thing happened to him at Oldham when RW left) and Iandolo seems better suited in more advanced positions.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #351 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:37:17 »

Problem is none of the other midfield players actually tackle so unless you have Grant or a player like him teams run through the middle of us and we struggle to win the ball back. The lack of bite in our midfield was abundantly clear yesterday.
The defence had no protection in the middle, the number of times they played through balls right through the middle of our defence was exactly where Grant likes to sit and play and mop them up, we missed him a lot. Gladwin was just plodding around giving the defence no protection at all.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:39:05 »

The defence had no protection in the middle, the number of times they played through balls right through the middle of our defence was exactly where Grant likes to sit and play and mop them up, we missed him a lot. Gladwin was just plodding around giving the defence no protection at all.

Gladwin is shot. Has a luxury moment in him, but he's shot.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #353 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 10:59:57 »

Apparently yesterday was the first time since 1994-95 (27 years) that we have started the season with 4 consecutive 8,200+ attendances.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #354 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 11:04:08 »

What the actual fucking fuck?

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 11:21:39 »

Just after we scored.

What the fuck is wrong with people.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #356 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 11:37:07 »

That depends on the opposition surely? We were bullied yesterday and lacked someone to break up play against their stronger midfielders. We missed him
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 12:37:28 »

Port Vale were deserved winners overall. More aggressive with and without the ball and their game plan -press high up the pitch, denying us the ability to play through the thirds- worked well. They were physically stronger and  a constant threat from set pieces. In effect you could say it was a typical league 2 side,  with some decent passing and movement thrown in.  

We were fortunate to only be a goal down at half time, it should have been at least 2. Our play was too passive, lacking energy and as others have said no real cohesion. It was almost men against boys and we were being bullied. At half time, I felt we needed to make changes and I would certainly have changed Iandolo for Hunt, as felt Hunt was struggling both defensively and offensively, where he rarely passes forward, constantly turning back on his preferred right foot. Also felt that we somehow needed to get Gilbert further up the pitch and maybe either Williams or Payne needed sacrificing, as they were largely ineffective - I hardly remember Payne touching the ball in the first half.

The 2nd half started off the same, until we scored a trademark Swindon goal and completely against the run of play.  Several passes, -- many backwards and sideways- before Gladwin played the killer forward pass to Gilbert, who crossed brilliantly for Simpson to score.

What followed was 10 minutes of Swindon dominance, with Gilbert and Simpson almost scoring 2 great goals from chances created entirely by themselves. At that stage I felt there was going to be only one winner and that was us. We then completely lost the momentum again and conceded a dreadful goal  with Conroy careless in the tackle and Critchlow & Iandolo challenging each other for the header which dropped for the winning goal.

The substitutions didnt help us at all.  In particular the subbing of Gilbert by Parsons seemed completely unnecessary and pointless at the time as Gilbert was our best outfield player and his directness is exactly what we needed. Cant remember us threatening after that.

Individually:-
Woolacott 7 - excellent under intense pressure at set pieces. Distribution not as good as usual, with Vale high press causing issues
KKH 5.5 - largely anonymous. Somehow need to get him on the ball more.
Conroy 6 - not his best display. Partly responsible for winning goal. Want him to speed up his delivery sometimes.
Critchlow 5 -  felt he was bullied by Proctor and distribution not the best. Maybe move to left back for next game and bring Odimayo in centrally
Hunt 5 - prefer him on the right side and need a natural left footer at left back
Reed 6.5 - our best midfielder on the day, although may have done better tracking their number 8 for the first goal
Gladwin 5.5 - largely ineffective, although great pass leading to the equaliser. If we play him it needs to be further forward
Williams 6 - one quality cross, with noone there to take advantage of it. Otherwise nothing really came off for him. Seemed to play in space normally utilised by Payne
Payne 5.5 - anonymous 1st half. Seemed to come into it more in the 2nd half.
Gilbert 7.5 - love his direct approach and willingness to shoot. Always looks forward. Needs to play closer to Simpson
Simpson 7 - always works his socks off. Good goal and excellent effort almost resulted in a spectacular 2nd.

Although before kick-off I was happy with the team selected, in hindsight it didnt work. We had one too many ball-playing, technically gifted midfield players who weren't physical enough to cope with Port Vale's game plan. Grant in particular was missed for this game.
Options for his replacement are limited however as East seems too similar to Reid, Gladwin is not defensively minded enough so that  leaves Iandolo as the only option, although he may be needed at LB or LWB, unless we use Critchlow there. I think Gladwin may need a rest, not least because I can see him becoming this seasons scapegoat for the fans. Would play next week 442:- Woolacott, KKH, Odimayo, Conroy, Critchlow, Reed, Iandolo, Payne, McKirdy, Gilbert, Simpson with Gladwin & Williams used as impact subs.

Finally absolutely no reason to panic. The pre-season objective was to still have a club, buy a season ticket, have several excellent away days and finish the season in the football league. We are on track and indeed well ahead of where most of us expected to be.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #358 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 12:40:40 »

I would agree with pretty much all of that Kirky other than I rated Simpson just above Gilbert.

Still had some positives although the result was shit, the one thing that annoys me about our style of play though is that we constantly put ourselves under pressure needlessly with short tight passing around at the back, 90% of the time its no issue but sometimes a swift boot through the ball is needed to get the ball away from the danger zone, PV knew we played like that ALL the time so pressed us ALL the time and we made several mistakes.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 14:25:37 »

I see we had 1000 more home supporters than the pox, and they were playing a local game too.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: