Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Port Vale pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22745 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 20:12:18 »

Wellens title* season - P7 W4 D2 L1 F14 A8 Pts 14   4th Place

So we are 3 points and 3 positions worse off than someone who had a full pre season…..
Wellens' 1st 7 games:

W3 D2 L2 F8 A10 Pts 11

dogs

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 20:29:46 »

Bang average tidae and way too tame.

Definitely need broads in all corners at half time and plenty of toot whilst they're at it
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 21:07:28 »

Hang on chaps.

It was a crap result and we didn't play that well.

Garner, after the game, said he would review his part first. He mentioned the fact that he might have got selection wrong.

Personally, I think that was the case. We had too many luxury players on the pitch and noone breaking. Up play or linking defence to attack.

On the few occasions we got into their half and set up properly, we looked threatening.

When Wallacott had the ball and they pressed, we had no way of passing through or around them.

Simple fix, bring in another DM for one of the flair players.

Could think about playing a back 4 of KKH (RB) Conroy Odimayo and Critchlow (LB) with Reed and East (until Grant is back) in front of them.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 21:12:38 »

Hang on chaps.

Garner, after the game, said he would review his part first. He mentioned the fact that he might have got selection wrong.

Personally, I think that was the case. We had too many luxury players on the pitch and noone breaking. Up play or linking defence to attack.

On the few occasions we got into their half and set up properly, we looked threatening.

When Wallacott had the ball and they pressed, we had no way of passing through or around them.

Could think about playing a back 4 of KKH (RB) Conroy Odimayo and Critchlow (LB) with Reed and East (until Grant is back) in front of them.

Agree with most of that, but if you are passing it out from the back, a back three with wing-backs should work better.  Like to see two up top as well.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 21:16:00 by Crozzer » Logged
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 21:37:41 »

We were poor today.  Very Luke Williamsesque.  They press, we don't - they wait for inevitable cock up - we deliver.

Too deep, too slow, then the inevitable happens

Playing 'the right way' is not an excuse for always passing sideways and backwards.  Especially a goal down in the 90th minute.

We shouldn't hoof it all the time either-  but there is a balance
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 21:59:52 »

Hang on chaps.

Yes, he may not have got the selection wrong but to me that’s a bit irrelevant imo
Last home game against Mansfield we had two DMs in Grant and Reed and it it didn’t help or alter the passing it sideways tactics, if anything having an extra DM only encouraged it. We didn’t get going till Grant went off and we bought a more attacking midfielder on in Williams who ran forward with the ball.

Today we started with one DM and an extra AM and we are all blaming the tactics on the lack of a second DM.

Just my opinion but we could put out any XI in any formation and we’d have the same problems as it’s the style of play rather than selection.

We need a plan b. We need to mix it up and we need another striking option.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 22:48:13 »

Just a bit of context. Yes today was poor (although fine margins had Town scored when having the upper hand) but Town are most definitely a WIP. Simpson is coming along nicely, Gilbert has more to come, Williams is not yet up to full speed, KKH (hopefully just a blip), the lad has talent.

I think a few deep breaths and some reflection is possibly needed. One win and Town are back sniffing those auto spots but lingering around the POs all season  (or better) would be an absolute revelation.

I understand that expectations are fluid and can change as a season develops (it certainly can and does for me), it's part of the rollercoaster of supporting a lower league club. Maybe, even if just for a few seconds, reflect and think where Town were just 2 months ago.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, September 11, 2021, 23:13:26 »

Yes, he may not have got the selection wrong but to me that’s a bit irrelevant imo
Last home game against Mansfield we had two DMs in Grant and Reed and it it didn’t help or alter the passing it sideways tactics, if anything having an extra DM only encouraged it. We didn’t get going till Grant went off and we bought a more attacking midfielder on in Williams who ran forward with the ball.

Today we started with one DM and an extra AM and we are all blaming the tactics on the lack of a second DM.

Just my opinion but we could put out any XI in any formation and we’d have the same problems as it’s the style of play rather than selection.

We need a plan b. We need to mix it up and we need another striking option.
The point was we didn't pass the ball!

We couldn't get the ball from the defenders to the midfield to the striker.

We picked an unbalanced team and people put into certain positions didn't do their job.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 06:05:39 »

I find it quite conflicting atm. Yes we were saved from the brink and yes we had no pre season and the team is gelling. However, apart from the goal the other chances we created seemed more moments of individual skill rather than Town creating chances as a team. The 3 behind Simpson seemed to be free to roam where they wanted and the shape was all over the place. I don’t think PV were even that good but  passed it around us with ease at times as there was no pressure on the ball. Will it improve over time, no idea but crowds will start to decrease if the performances stay like that. I found it pretty boring to watch yesterday, most of the game we lacked urgency or getting into dangerous positions. The team appears to be good enough so it does lie with the manager atm. Ben does tweak the tactics mid game but hopefully will start to try a different game plan if passing the opposition to death doesn’t work.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 06:37:56 »

Wrong selection against a determined PV. We'll play worse and win I'm sure, but it did feel as if that's a game we might've done better in had we had a pre season with the squad.
It's not the reason we lost but that ref was honestly the worst one i've seen, topped off by his grinning at every decision he made. Had lost control of the game within 20 minutes when PV were time wasting and allowed to engage in shithousery. Of note for me were Parson's and Simpson's yellows where he didn't have a clue what was going on

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 07:34:22 »

I've no idea what parsons was actually booked for.

re: League position. it's bloody brilliant. I thought we'd be Oldham for the first half of the season.

re: criticism of style. if course fans Nissan more when we lose. it's always been thus. for me Luke Williams was like a football deatheater, sucking the love of the game from my soul.

this time we have a much better balance of older and younger heads. so it may well be more successful. I don't know

looking at yesterday's game in isolation, PV had clearly done their homework and largely stopped us playing out from the back and through midfield. Needed to change things somehow. but didn't really
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:11:18 »

The point was we didn't pass the ball!

We couldn't get the ball from the defenders to the midfield to the striker.

We picked an unbalanced team and people put into certain positions didn't do their job.

60% possession according to sky sports. So we must have had a lot of the ball.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:23:47 »

I haven’t read back yet - so sorry if this has already been said. I thought yesterday gave us a great insight to what to expect this year. We’ll have possession, and our game plan is to score goals like the one we scored. But for every occasion that we score a goal like that, there are many more where we have possession in the final third and there aren’t enough good runners to put us in goal scoring positions. We didn’t work the keeper, with 60% possession.

Our first choice XI lacks mobility in midfield, with Grant and Gladwin. But Grant offers physicality when he’s available. Take him out, and we were slow and horribly weak yesterday. I think each of Gladwin, Grant and Reed are good players if you surround them with mobile, physical workers. But we undermine them and weaken the whole side without those players. We’re missing a Douglas, Leitch, or fit Lyden (and we can’t bank on him being available). That exposes the defence. It took them two passes to cut through us on more than one occasion.

So the plan is there. We just don’t have the personnel to implement it. A fit Lyden or Ryan East (if he’s up to it yet?) may help. Gilbert playing as more of a second striker, rather than wide, may help. I don’t know - but we’ve had a few lucky breaks these last few weeks and with that game plan, I think we could start to get ourselves into trouble.

Garner has been successful at youth and reserve levels, and I wonder if he’s trying to set us up like a youth or reserve side, where nobody gets stuck in, and you can get away with a side like that…. We played with the urgency of a friendly. There’s no excuse for that. But Garner seems an intelligent bloke and must be able to see where we are lacking.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:29:51 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 08:35:59 »

We had a bad Hair day in terms of the referee.
PV player goes to ground, ref shakes head, no foul, PV player then lies prostrate, ref blows whistle and gives the free kick.
The refs have been ok so far, not this one.

There should be no shame in a pure possession based passing side knocking it down the line now and then.
The whole team can then push up and the opposition have to turn and there is always the chance of winning possession higher up the pitch.
Simpson is always offering to make that run as do one or two others.
Some direct running at the opposition would also offer something different, which for me is why McKirdy should play when fit and JML looks promising in that respect as well.

And Conroy, you are wearing the No 4 shirt man, the passing needs to be much better, both long and short.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Sunday, September 12, 2021, 09:20:34 »

One other observation is that too many of our players seem to be guilty of thinking about where they are going to pass the ball before they’ve actually even got the ball under control. Conroy especially really needs to cut it out as it cost the second goal yesterday, gave Mansfield a massive chance in the previous home game and same happened when he got sent off against Wigan last season. I get he’s there for his distribution but it I s becoming a bit of a theme and he really needs to inject some urgency sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: