Payne - 15 (24.6%)
McKirdy - 0 (0%)
Simpson - 0 (0%)
Mitchell-Lawson - 0 (0%)
Gilbert - 1 (1.6%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v STFC MoM  (Read 4244 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 08:40:30 »

Difficult. I thought the only ones I would criticise would be:

1. Gladwin - Better than of late, but doesn't look the player he once was. He's so ponderous and looks as if he is trying to do everything in slow motion.

2. Simpson - Didn't get into the game much. Doesn't read what his team mates are doing and was selfless when he should have been selfish. Also, with composure, he would have scored in the first half.

3. Iandolo - Thought he had a pretty good first half, but he was fading in the second half.

4. McKirdy - Kept trying the same trick, which didn't seem to be working.

5. Payne - Mostly good but gave the ball away quite a bit when dropping back to ay out of defence.

6. Odimayo - Final ball often went to noone or out of play.

I thought Wollacott was awesome again. Critchlow was very good. Hunt played much better today. Gilbert was very good when he came on as was JML. But, I think I would give it to Conroy today, who I thought was immense.

So, just over half the team to criticise. Nice.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 09:05:23 »

Simpson - Didn't get into the game much. Doesn't read what his team mates are doing and was selfless when he should have been selfish. Also, with composure, he would have scored in the first half.

I lost count of the number of times he asked (pointed) for the ball to be played into the channel behind the defence so he could run into, only for the man on the ball to ignore him & pass it sideways instead.

There was one in the second half when he was doing so for a good few seconds & then once he had stopped & moved in the other direction the ball was passed.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 09:40:48 »

Reed looking like an excellent signing. Fits into the way we try and play perfectly.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 16:06:38 »

So, just over half the team to criticise. Nice.
I could have put that better.

But my point was that there was no clear MotM. For all of the good things on view, there were a number of things that could be improved. I attributed stuff to individual players, but, could equally have summarised by saying that we were often sloppy in posession and out decision making and the final ball was often wayward.

What do you thing Mr Audrey? About the game, rather than those who posted about it? Did you have a different perspective to offer?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 16:23:11 »

First half was probably the best I’ve seen us play thus season - albeit with only creating more than a couple of decent chances. Reed was superb, Iandolo very good, as was Hunt. In fact, they all played well.

Second half we looked a bit disjointed with too much passing it around at the back for no apparent reason. Too many misplaced passes. Simpson had a poor game throughout but we looked a different side when Gilbert came on. How does Garner get him in the starting XI when KKH and Williams are back.

Defensively we look better organised than we have for a long time - we just need to cut out the lapses of concentration. We need to be more direct and aggressive with our forward play.

I’m not a great fan of pointless possession - the only positive thing is if the opposition only have the ball for 30 odd % of the time they are less likely to score. Teams should be worried about our attacking threat, not us overly worrying about conceding.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 16:35:32 »

First half was probably the best I’ve seen us play thus season - albeit with only creating more than a couple of decent chances. Reed was superb, Iandolo very good, as was Hunt. In fact, they all played well.

Second half we looked a bit disjointed with too much passing it around at the back for no apparent reason. Too many misplaced passes. Simpson had a poor game throughout but we looked a different side when Gilbert came on. How does Garner get him in the starting XI when KKH and Williams are back.

Defensively we look better organised than we have for a long time - we just need to cut out the lapses of concentration. We need to be more direct and aggressive with our forward play.

I’m not a great fan of pointless possession - the only positive thing is if the opposition only have the ball for 30 odd % of the time they are less likely to score. Teams should be worried about our attacking threat, not us overly worrying about conceding.
Nice

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 16:51:57 »

I would  generally agree with that assessment but without watching back I feel like we created more than a couple of decent chances in the first half. We gave Stevenage an absolute football lesson in the first half though. I thought we were excellent.

The sooner we can get Williams and Gilbert into the starting lineup the better.  We can't fail to be more incisive with the way those two play. And it will have a knock on effect on the rest of the team and give the likes of Jack Payne far more passing options.

I would personally bring Williams in for McKirdy and Gilbert for Gladwin with the latter in each case being a fantastic option to bring off the bench.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 17:40:48 »

Same thoughts OST - that "front four" would be much more direct to add to our possession and control.  Similar to what we got with Anderson, Isgrove, Yates and Doyle.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 18:51:36 »

Conroy. Commanding at the back and started many a move with good distribution.Looked like a captain today.
Wollers second for me

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 08:23:22 »

I was at the game and having 2 nights to 'sleep on it' Can't think who I would give man of the match to. Last game I gave it to Reed and I think him and Payne really make this side tick. Wollacott was faultless again and I think Conroy played really well. I'm going to give it to Conroy I think, such a classy defender when things are going well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #25 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:10:39 »

Payne frustrated the hell out of me last season. Clearly, a talented footballer but seemed to be all over the place (not in a good way). This season he has been the heartbeat of the team. Him and Reed are developing a great midfield partnership. I gave Reed MoM mainly because he bossed that DM position without having Grant alongside
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #26 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:17:27 »

Payne has definately stepped up his game this season, he still frustrates me at times with a weak end product but hes getting more of the ball and doing stuff with it creating chances and even scoring, if he had a bit better technique for striking a bal ala Twine he would be a top player but all too often he scuffs or weakly misshits shots.

Hes definately most improved player this season so far and is a huge asset in L2.

Reed looked pretty woeful on his debut but has gone from strength to strength and looks at home.

Gladwin has loads of talent but he looks like his head isn't quite back in the game yet, he strolls around the pitch lethargically at times looking disinterested but when hes got the ball he looks eager and most of his passing/shots look decent.

He played better on Saturday than his last 2 or 3 games but still cost us the goal but his on the ball stuff was much better.

I have a slight concern that Odimayo has actually gone backwards this season in terms of positioning and distribution but I am sure he will come good.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:21:22 »

Jordan Lyden certainly has his work cut out to get back into the midfield once everyone is back.

Flashheart

« Reply #28 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:24:41 »

I don' think Gladwin is lethargic. I think it's just his gait. He's also one of those that make football look easy - when he gets it right, anyway.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #29 on: Monday, September 6, 2021, 09:30:44 »

I don' think Gladwin is lethargic. I think it's just his gait. He's also one of those that make football look easy - when he gets it right, anyway.
I thought when he was here previously his gait made him look lethargic, this time round I think he just really does look lethargic (so far).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: