Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 42311 times)
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:26:11 »

Personally I would have videoed him doing that and sent it straight to the club and police and made a formal complaint to his supervisor.

I know that in the heat of the moment thats not always possible though, but lets face it, one twat of a steward goads you then there is no need for it to resort in physical confrontation or violence especially when it brings the clubs name into disrepute and sometimes sanctions against the club.

Alcohol has a lot to answer for.

Sadly, whilst I don't agree with the violence, I think it's just embedded in our culture. Barely anything has been said about the bottles that were thrown at Jack Payne from the Stevenage fans when he scored the penalty... The bitterness of the Stevenage fans outside the ground, being very confrontational and berating Swindon fans (me included) just walking back to their cars after the game was quite unsettling too.

I didn't see a single copper all day. Next time we play them in Stevenage, it's going to be as spicy as a Vindaloo if Stevenage are so underprepared and under resourced again. Fingers crossed this is served as a warning and they learn from it.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:30:15 »

Only been to 2 home games, and no trouble at all at either, so not seen anything in person, but picking up from here and fans of other clubs (Gas especially); plus the Euro final etc.;  there does seem to a bit more trouble about than we've seen before (at least recently). I wonder if there as lot of pent up 'something' due to COVID thats now letting loose?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #467 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:33:04 »

I didn't see a single copper all day. Next time we play them in Stevenage, it's going to be as spicy as a Vindaloo if Stevenage are so underprepared and under resourced again. Fingers crossed this is served as a warning and they learn from it.
You would have thought that they knew we had sold over 900 in advance that they would have been prepared, unprofessional by Stevenage to say the least.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:36:51 »

Although the dark days of football violence from what I witnessed in the mid 70's through to the early 90's has on the whole disappeared inside the grounds outside as an away fan you still have to be vigilant walking back to your car or to the train station as there's still pockets of young undesirables looking to have a rumble.

So, give no fucks
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:38:55 »

You would have thought that they knew we had sold over 900 in advance that they would have been prepared, unprofessional by Stevenage to say the least.

Exactly my point. They had 2 stewards at the beginning trying to make people sit in seats they didn't choose to sit in. One can be seen in this video https://www.facebook.com/SwindonTownFootballClub/videos/397669208366444 pointlessly checking tickets before even getting into the stand and a single female steward halfway down the stand behind the goal. She was overrun with people and half slipped past her without being challenged.

Like I said before, the stewards had lost control of the entire situation before kick-off. Everything else from there just escalated as the stewards attempted and failed to regain control.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:45:40 »

Although the dark days of football violence from what I witnessed in the mid 70's through to the early 90's has on the whole disappeared inside the grounds outside as an away fan you still have to be vigilant walking back to your car or to the train station as there's still pockets of young undesirables looking to have a rumble.

And beware the bus station

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 10:51:14 »

And beware the bus station

In the late 70's maybe as the grass bank was always a flash point with away fans going back to the railway station. We're still  waiting for you to tell us what you see on your walk through on a match day as that time of day it must be full of normal passengers waiting to get on/off busses!

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 11:16:57 »

Walk from the railway station every home matchday, honestly cannot remember the last time I saw any trouble prior to the game. 
Newport would have been the last game I saw any trouble in Manchester Rd after a game and that pretty soon fizzled out.
Definitely nowhere the level of violence in the 70's and 80's.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #473 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 11:27:28 »

Back to the game, I thought in the 90 mins we had enough chances to bury a very average side who we pretty much dominated for most of the game.

Even though they had a couple of good chances I thought we created more and probably the better chances.

Bore out from the 66% possession and our 16 shots to their 8.

I would say we were slightly lucky with the penalty but there was indeed contact however slight and their penalty claim was 100% right by the ref where he fell to the floor with no pulling from Reed at all, he should have been booked for simulation TBH.

Overall not a bad result in getting our first ever draw at Stevenage who will be low mid table at best on that showing whereas we are still waiting to fully click into gear.

A special note again for McKirdy, my god he frustrates me a lot but hes worth it for that one or 2 things in a game that with a little more luck would be a gamechanger.

I think I would prefer him to come off the bench to change things and give Gilbert a go sat in a free role as a number 10 behind Simpson.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 11:39:20 »

I don’t hold too much in terms of possession, as a good portion of ours is across the defence in our own half, and even the shots can be skewed if there’s a lot of long range efforts.

We were clearly the better side in the first half and should have been ahead, albeit jojo made a really good save.

In the second half, before they scored we were second best, and only really got back into the game when they sat back to try and hold on to a lead.

The penalty, i’d ask how much contact did Cuthbert make with the ball, I’d say none at least until after he had gone through the player. If you took out someone off the ball in the box it would be a penalty so can see why the ref gave it.
It’s one of those that you would be aggrieved if it was given against you.

Overall, we deserved at least a point from the game.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #475 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 11:44:09 »

Cuthbert was making those type of challenges 10 years ago playing for us, his timing was and still is very poor at times.

I lost count of the amount of penalties he gave away in his 2 seasons with us.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 12:14:33 »

Cuthbert was making those type of challenges 10 years ago playing for us, his timing was and still is very poor at times.

I lost count of the amount of penalties he gave away in his 2 seasons with us.
Got sent off against us for Luton for something similar didn’t he?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #477 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 12:22:05 »

Got sent off against us for Luton for something similar didn’t he?
He did, it was even more clumsy in giving away the penalty though.

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 13:00:01 »

Sadly, whilst I don't agree with the violence, I think it's just embedded in our culture.

Our culture?

Nothing to see here
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #479 on: Sunday, September 5, 2021, 16:06:48 »

Our culture?
A large element of football fans go to football get coked up and drunk and act like idiots. I used to do it myself and many of others do, he is right though. Our culture tend to go out get drunk and coked up and want to fight everyone
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: