Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 42347 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:39:47 »

I find it really interesting how shocked and appalled some people can be by fairly innocuous revelry. And the age thing is fascinating. Teenagers today moaning that blokes in their ‘50’s were standing up and singing to watch the game rather than sitting down politely. The different generations really seem to have vastly different perspectives on the nature of watching football.

I made a similar comment earlier this year.  I suspect that behaviour
at matches will change in the next 20 -30 years. Also, I think that many local rivalries will diminish substantially.  By then most, if not all, supporters will have no connection with 'avin a rumble' in the town end back in the 70s. Also, there will be less of a need to work out the frustration caused by low skilled factory work (NB I have experience of pretty soul destroying factory jobs).

Nothing to see here
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:44:05 »

The stewarding was amateurish and inept. The standing issue could have been avoided if they’d not unnecessarily insisted on seat numbers. (Cambridge was sit where you want.)Then those preferring to stand would have graduated towards the back etc. (But in my opinion football is to be watched on your feet, end of.) All in all, it was handbags today. I’ve no time for the resulting moral outrage. If anybody claims to have felt seriously threatened or in danger in the ground they must have lived a very sheltered life.  
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:44:15 »

Mate of mine went. Talked to him and he said it started when a Steward said ‘you don’t mess with the Taliban’. That escalated to a response of ‘you can stick fucking (insert deity of choice) up your arse’.

The Taliban?  Huh?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:45:15 »

Apparently, said steward was a bearded Asian gentleman. There is a video on Twitter.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:49:13 »

The stewarding was amateurish and inept. The standing issue could have been avoided if they’d not unnecessarily insisted on seat numbers. (Cambridge was sit where you want.)Then those preferring to stand would have graduated towards the back etc. (But in my opinion football is to be watched on your feet, end of.) All in all, it was handbags today. I’ve no time for the resulting moral outrage. If anybody claims to have felt seriously threatened or in danger in the ground they must have lived a very sheltered life.  

Anybody who used to stand in the Townend in the late 70's - 80's will know how scary it used to be when the likes of Millwall & Pompey were in Town.

So, give no fucks
STFC no2 fan

« Reply #410 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:53:23 »

They were highly efficient and committed friskers! I can't remember the last time I was so vigorously touched up at a L2 game.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:54:48 »

How did the officials get 4 mins of added time today and 6 mins against Mansfield?
As for blind Pugh the Lino needed to open his eyes.

Shouldn’t laugh though, before pen young kid, not sharpest in the box catches the ball in the Swindon end, us chasing the game and he stands there for a fair few seconds with Swindon fans screaming at him to throw it back on Smiley

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:56:04 »

They were highly efficient and committed friskers! I can't remember the last time I was so vigorously touched up at a L2 game.

Lady around 70 they were going through her handbag.
Took it in good faith though,
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 19:57:04 »

Apparently, said steward was a bearded Asian gentleman. There is a video on Twitter.

What an odd thing to say.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 20:03:17 »

I can certainly believe that the stewarding was amateurish and inept but isn’t it often? I also have no reason to dispute that some of the stewards may have stepped over the line in making comments. But the way to deal with that is not through vandalism and violence.
I didn’t feel in any way personally threatened or in danger but I don’t want to witness or be associated with the behaviour on display. I do want to be able to enjoy a game of football and to be a part of the feel good factor around the club that has been evident in every game this season.
The fact that there much worse was commonplace 40 years ago, and I’m old enough to remember that, doesn’t make today’s incident acceptable.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 20:14:14 »

What an odd thing to say.

Responded to abuse that referenced that group?

Nothing to see here
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 20:20:02 »

I can certainly believe that the stewarding was amateurish and inept but isn’t it often? I also have no reason to dispute that some of the stewards may have stepped over the line in making comments. But the way to deal with that is not through vandalism and violence.
I didn’t feel in any way personally threatened or in danger but I don’t want to witness or be associated with the behaviour on display. I do want to be able to enjoy a game of football and to be a part of the feel good factor around the club that has been evident in every game this season.
The fact that there much worse was commonplace 40 years ago, and I’m old enough to remember that, doesn’t make today’s incident acceptable.

That's where I'm at - I'm old enough to remember having bricks chucked at us and it's not fun. 
I've never enjoyed a rumble.  Having a beer and watching football with a few mates is all I ask for.

If the club gets fined and we end up with get restrictions put on our away support then this behaviour - whilst not threatening - does affect all of us
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 20:33:19 »

I'm with CheltRed and Pooky.

Personally if I want to watch a fight of sorts, I'll buy a ticket to a Boxing match, UFC or dare I say - the Wrestling. The shocking truth is, at a football match...I want to watch football no be distracted by things off it.

It does become quite pathetic though when the consensus of instigators are blokes in their 50s. Blokes who seemingly can't let go of the nostalgia of hooligan tinged 80s but most definitely should know better.

Most of the rest of us have moved on and don't really want to be associated with that kind of bollocks.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 20:37:00 »

Something I also wasn't impressed with was walking into the toilets (where there was clear no smoking signs) at half time to see the toilets covered in smoke with people having a half time fag. Hate the smell and shouldn't subject people to it while they have a piss.

Can't see why the stewards couldn't have let people out for a half time ciggie however.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 20:37:55 »

Agree the standing issue does needs to be sorted though.
 Those that want to stand should be able to and those that want to sit should also be able to - I've enjoyed both.  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: