Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevenage v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 42405 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 15:56:59 »

Second half a bit disappointing but what a spirit this bunch has,typified by Payne.Stand out performances from him, JoJo andd Conroy today in my opinion.Like the look of Gilbert,will be an asset on that brief showing.Iandolo went from decent to shockingly poor second half

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 15:57:08 »

definitely deserved something from that game and for me that was a penalty.

It doesn't matter if the defender tried to tried to clear the ball he completely went through the town man to do that and was a terrible challenge. iv watched it back 3 times on ifollow and cant see anything but.

my pre-match criticism of gladwin proved true again- just seems a yard off it all the time.

brentford fella looks really handy- nice and direct and happy to take it past people.

not the best performances from simpson, gladwin. fairly decent hunt and payne.

a good point with a depleted team and some debutants. I would like to see this team in an attacking line up- two up top and less conservative. i think we are a bit too nice to some teams in this respect and should go for the throats a bit more.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 15:59:17 »

Get used to it, thats the style we have brough Garner for, and thats why we didnt sign any proper strikers.

You may not like it, but we need to get behind it.

Or you can like the idiot Phil Smith on the radio who clearly only thinks there is one way to play football.

Give Garner and co. some time, for League 2 the Town's football is unbelievable. 

Flashheart

« Reply #348 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 15:59:35 »

No opinion on the penalty yet but I think we deserved a point at least. We need more urgency in the final 3rd but we're in fourth so what we're doing is working so far. If it's not broken, don't fix it and all that.

I like the look of Gilbert. He wants to get it forward and has skillz.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:01:04 »

Town are going to be (in the first half of the season) where teams will be wondering why they didn't get a win against. Some riding of luck but hell does this club deserve a break and without at least one key player today (on or off the pitch)

Happy to be proved wrong but if Town can get to Jan sniffing somewhere between POs and Autos I think they're really going to take off in Jan/Feb. Key players signed (that striker) and we can forget that Town were ever relegated!

COYR
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:09:50 by bamboohoomyavatar » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:01:13 »

Give Garner and co. some time, for League 2 the Town's football is unbelievable.  

I agree. I've not got a problem with the style. Just find it amusing that some seem to.

Clear MoM was Reed. He was immense first half, between breaking things up, picking the ball of the back 4, pinging passed around. Very impressed.

We were actually much better imo when Iandolo was still central and Hunt was LB. He should have just straight swapped Gladwin off for Mitchell-Lawson as opposed to moving them all around.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:02:42 »

No opinion on the penalty yet but I think we deserved a point at least. We need more urgency in the final 3rd but we're in fourth so what we're doing is working so far. If it's not broken, don't fix it and all that.

Gilbert or a League 2 industrial centre forward like Norris, hmmm, let's take a nanosecond to think about it. Gilbert looks to be am incredible prospect, great signing.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:04:44 »

I agree. I've not got a problem with the style. Just find it amusing that some seem to.

Clear MoM was Reed. He was immense first half, between breaking things up, picking the ball of the back 4, pinging passed around. Very impressed.

We were actually much better imo when Iandolo was still central and Hunt was LB. He should have just straight swapped Gladwin off for Mitchell-Lawson as opposed to moving them all around.

Iandolo lost the ball to many times on the left, agree with that.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:05:25 »

Just watched it back a few times. I wouldn't have given it in real time, but I think Cuthbert does come through the player without getting close to the ball. Certainly not nailed on. Will now have a peek at their late claim, which looked close to me.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:05:47 »

I have no problem with the style but like Phil Smith - I do have a problem if it’s the only style we use: all game, every game.

Nothing wrong with going more direct, longer and quicker on occasion. You don’t get any extra points for style or possession or passing stats.

Variety is fine.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:06:46 »

Yes, there is some merit in having a plan B or even C to go to if necessary

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:07:17 »

...but we're in fourth so what we're doing is working so far. If it's not broken, don't fix it and all that.

Joint 3rd I'll have you know  Wink

I have a feeling Gilbert is going to be a right decent bastard. Just a feeling mind.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:07:49 »

Not sure what to make of that game to be honest - equal good and bad.

Reed has improved since the first couple of games, so likely just getting fitness.

Gilbert gave us what was missing up until then - drive.  He likes to run forwards and has some talent, that much is already evident.  I'd love to see him, Williams and Payne buzzing around Simpson.  Reed can sit with Grant or Gladwin (who still looks like a plyer in pre-season).

Iandolo is an enigma for me - one game there looks to be a good left back in him, next game he is shocking, then he looks good in the wing back role or more advanced, then he puts in the second half he managed today.

I agree with Bamboo, we are riding some luck at times right now, but we have much more about us than I expected.  Get to January in the mix and we really could put a strong second half of the season together.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:10:07 »

Get used to it, thats the style we have brough Garner for, and thats why we didnt sign any proper strikers.

You may not like it, but we need to get behind it.

Or you can like the idiot Phil Smith on the radio who clearly only thinks there is one way to play football.
It’s the pointless passing that’s the problem. Too many first choices is to pass backwards. They’ve obviously been drilled to retain possession above all else - to the point that we create very little.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Saturday, September 4, 2021, 16:11:03 »

I have no problem with the style but like Phil Smith - I do have a problem if it’s the only style we use: all game, every game.

Nothing wrong with going more direct, longer and quicker on occasion. You don’t get any extra points for style or possession or passing stats.

Variety is fine.

Sure, if you have the players to go more direct and longer, which we didnt acquire in the window, we signed more of the same, so that option just isn't open to us. Short of the Sheridan style Broadbent up top.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: