Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 10587 times)
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 27, 2021, 22:12:36 »

I know I should be getting ready for bed as I'm getting old and I have a game to go to tomorrow but, the weather has been so shit recently that I find myself taking advantage of this evenings clear skies by setting up the astrophotography kit and testing the charity shop find lens with my astro camera and extension tube to grab some data of Bodes and the Cigar Galaxies.

I have already captured 3000 frames of video of Jupiter.

Tomorrow evening will se me tired but processing the data to see if it was worth it.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 27, 2021, 23:06:49 »

Would like to post something interesting but have just got back from our Friday night booze up at our MCC clubhouse.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 27, 2021, 23:18:17 »

I know I should be getting ready for bed as I'm getting old and I have a game to go to tomorrow but, the weather has been so shit recently that I find myself taking advantage of this evenings clear skies by setting up the astrophotography kit and testing the charity shop find lens with my astro camera and extension tube to grab some data of Bodes and the Cigar Galaxies.

I have already captured 3000 frames of video of Jupiter.

Tomorrow evening will se me tired but processing the data to see if it was worth it.

I love astrophotography Fuzzy, but I really can't afford that gear (on top of my other photography gear. Look forward to seeing your stacks and end product. I'm in awe of some of the stuff produced and wish I had the time to do this as well.

However, I do still enjoy the night sky and so will often still take some "astro" images in the style of "how a human would see it". My trusty 300mm tends to bring some nice results. Good for capturing comets, asteroids and doing short tracking of star trails.

Got lens envy though with your deep space astro kit! Enjoy Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pantomime dame

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 01:10:57 »

Watching day 3 & 4 at Headingley and staying at a charming little pub in Pontefract. At 2am the music stopped and now I'm listening to Northern monkey's with there Northern tarts trying to get home. In another 5 hrs I'm off to catch a train into Leeds. What a fuck up. My fault, should of stayed in Leeds.

Woke is the revenge of the mediocre
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 07:04:22 »

Would like to post something interesting but have just got back from our Friday night booze up at our MCC clubhouse.

MCC & DCC  Bye

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:24:29 »

I love astrophotography Fuzzy, but I really can't afford that gear (on top of my other photography gear. Look forward to seeing your stacks and end product. I'm in awe of some of the stuff produced and wish I had the time to do this as well.

However, I do still enjoy the night sky and so will often still take some "astro" images in the style of "how a human would see it". My trusty 300mm tends to bring some nice results. Good for capturing comets, asteroids and doing short tracking of star trails.

Got lens envy though with your deep space astro kit! Enjoy Smiley

Here is my Jupiter stack- best 75% of 3000 frames stacked in Autostakkert! A bit of work on the levels in GIMP, just quick and dirty. There is more detail in there but I haven't the time at the moment. One of the Galilean moons is just visible. There are two in the raw data and the second will be drawn out with further processing.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:26:21 »

Here is my Jupiter stack- best 75% of 3000 frames stacked in Autostakkert! A bit of work on the levels in GIMP, just quick and dirty. There is more detail in there but I haven't the time at the moment. One of the Galilean moons is just visible. There are two in the raw data and the second will be drawn out with further processing.

Wow, just wow.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 20:37:47 »

Nice one Fuzzy, thanks for that. Decent early shout on that. The more visible moon will look awesome when the second one appears with further processing. Which should mean that Jupiter will be pretty jaw dropping!

Do post it if you wish, once you get chance to spend some more time on the RAWs. Top stuff! Thumb

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 01:56:44 »

Well, colour me impressed.

When you consider how far away that thing is that's an astonishing image. I mate of mine runs an astronomy group on FB, Fuzzy. I'm sure he'd be interested in this image, I can pass on contact details if you like.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 01:59:10 by Flashheart » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 09:31:09 »

nice fuzzy

assume you are using some sort of auto tracker with the camera body on the a scope?

do you take several images at different stops? what's the exposure time like on each?

it's way outside my skill set, do I don't need a full explanation. just the general idea.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 10:23:59 »

That is pretty impressive Fuzzy - good work

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 14:57:01 »

Thanks for the compliments folks.

As far as my imaging to date goes, that Jupiter is reasonable. Have a google for the work of the likes of Damien Peach though. There is a man with real talent (and a shit load more aperture than I can afford!). I currently do better with Lunar.

FH, yes please mate, pass them along.

Batch, yes, I have a driven equatorial mount set up on a permanent pier in the garden. The mount tracks astronomical targets across the sky to prevent 'streaking'. here is my set up during a solar session-

Planetary, Lunar and Solar imaging tends to be done by shooting video on the 'luck imaging' basis. Shoot lots of frames (in this case 3000) and then use software to sort and stack the best percentage into an image which is then subjected to processing in the likes of Photoshop or GIMP processing software to draw out detail. Lucky imaging means that you are using the frames that you shot when you were lucky that the atmospheric conditions were a bit more stable and had less effect.

Deep Sky and Wide Field imaging (Nebula, galaxies, nova, Milky Way etc.) tend to be multiple long exposures images (30 to 300+ seconds) with darks and flats (images with lens caps on the identify hot pixels etc. and images against a plain white filed to identify dust motes etc.) which are subsequently stacked in software such as deep Sky Stacker (does what it says on the tin) and then post processed to draw out colour or combine several images shot with different light wavelength filters. I'm nowhere near that level yet but working on it. I have seen some images where the total data capture is in the 40 hour plus range and then the same again in processing. It is an art but the results can be breath-taking.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 19:37:29 »

cheers fuzzy..

sounds like a great hobby..
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 19:44:05 »

Impressive set up it must cost a few bob!

So, give no fucks
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 29, 2021, 19:54:16 »

I'm having a glass of wine at my folks place in Spain having just helped out the local bar by doing a shift for them while they go out with some visiting friends while I'm here for a while (it's so much cheaper than France here). 

It was, of course illegal for me to be doing that as I'm no longer an EU citizen. I will never stop being upset about that, never.  1st of Jan 2021 I cried as a grown man that all the joys and possibilities at my fingertips, that I've enjoyed my whole life, just faded away against my wishes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: