Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Musical Instruments  (Read 6472 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:07:02 »

As I'm getting older I fancy getting a musical instrument to annoy everyone with  Smiley
Fancy getting a saxophone (prefer a tenor but would consider an alto). Also pondering a guitar instead.
Any musical buffs out there?
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:20:09 »

Go for it.

I bought a guitar (acoustic) when I was about 15 and never learned to play it.....until about 7 or 8 years ago (I'm now 55....) when I had some beginner's lessons and then played (electric guitar - I now have a Gretsch G5420T) in a group for a couple of years. I'm still a beginner though and will never be any good but it's fun just trying to learn the tabs of my favourite songs. Playing in the group was an experience - we played a few live gigs.

I've always fancied a pedal steel guitar, just because I like the sound of it. I recently bought a lap steel, but have no idea how to play it yet. That's my next aim....
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:21:06 »

I got an acoustic guitar about 18 months ago, having never picked one up.
You have to be patient, my playing is very limited to 4 or 5 chords at the moment, which is fine if you are an Oasis fan like me as there are 6/7 of their songs I have been able to learn.
I look at it and think I should be trying a bit more but it is time consuming and can get frustrating.
Great feeling when you master a song though.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:23:34 »

I've got an acoustic guitar which i'm ok at, a Squier Telecaster protone custom electric guitar which I am not great at, a Yamaha electric piano which I am average at and a saxophone that I have never learned to play.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:26:31 »

Bloody hell Jayo, you are like a one man band  Smiley

Obviously I would get a cheap sax, I've seen some at twice the value of my car  Eek

My nephew plays the drums for a Bristol band, one of my brother in laws sings in a band too.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:29:25 by 4D » Logged
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 08:49:45 »

I'm told sax is a very difficult instrument to play well....lung power and dexterity a must.....
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 09:45:59 »

Bloody hell Jayo, you are like a one man band  Smiley

Obviously I would get a cheap sax, I've seen some at twice the value of my car  Eek

My nephew plays the drums for a Bristol band, one of my brother in laws sings in a band too.

My lad (6) has a small drum kit too Cheesy

I've been in bands around Swindon for years, although I don't play in bands; I'm a singer.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:18:39 »

Buying a sports car and wearing a bead necklace is a lot simpler....  Wink
kaufman

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:27:08 »

I’d say think about if you fancy singing along while you play?
Con: You can’t sing at same time with a Sax.
Pro : You can channel the sax guy from Lost Boys
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:27:51 »

Similar physique, minus the hair  Wink

« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:31:03 by 4D » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:55:30 »

I've an acoustic guitar that I play badly, and a cheap Epiphone SG electric that hardly ever gets played. It's probably still got the original strings on it from when I bought it about 12 years ago.

I'm no Steve Vai but I can play reasonably. Have never played saxophone so can't really compare the two, but guitar is pretty easy to learn if you've got time and patience.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 13:32:02 »

Crafter 12 string and a fender squier jaguar.  Very nice.  Playing is adequate at best.

Never knowingly overstated.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 14:52:42 »

My wife teaches sax, trumpet and clarinet so if you want any lessons, let us know.

I've played bass in a few bands and still have one hanging around, as well as what was my sister's old acoustic guitar. Bass is piss easy to pick up but bloody difficult to master (I'd love to be able to slap), guitar took me a while but repetition really helped.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 20:15:11 »

I picked up the bass at 39. Love it.  And it is the coolest instrument, so there's that.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 20:32:53 »

I used to play piano as a kid, got pretty decent but stopped as I got bored at around 15/16.
I really regret it now. I did buy a digital piano last year to try and take it back up, but it's in the loft currently as I have nowhere to put it.

My brother in law is a professional drummer and teaches for a living. He's played in Swindon bands for years and also played recently in a band with Dave Gregory of XTC fame.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: