Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v STFC Caribou Cup  (Read 16718 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:38:05 »

170 according to the Cambridge OS match report (out of a total of 1825).
Attendance announced officially as 270 Swindon fans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:40:08 »

Wiki seems to suggest said stand dates from 2002? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Stadium

I assume the strange alignment may be similar to Carlisle reflecting a previous aspiration to move the pitch not going ahead.

Could just be good planning, to allow for shifting the pitch during the season to avoid constant wear in the six-yard boxes.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:42:50 »

Cambridge fans views.

Not much to say about this game dull as dish water till the pens

That was an endurance watch so well done me for making it through.

Forgettable game but once again showing ourselves to be a very hard to heat side so that's encouraging.

Surprised by the atmosphere tonight, I'm used to our fans spending half the game silent and most of the other half moaning. Swindon at home in the first round of the league cup isn't an exciting tie and in previous seasons the crowd would be pathetic and silent throughout. Still had it's quiet moments but the football was pretty dire, yet the fans actually made some decent noise tonight and not just at the end.

Swindon also didn't Create much but played it out from the back most of the time, their no 5 looking pretty sound against Sam Smith.

Swindon, who themselves made six changes, had the better chances and probably should've won in normal time. Their keeper had little or nothing to do until the penalty shoot out. That the game would end up going to penalties seemed the most likely outcome for most of a drab second half.

Swindon have some decent players, really liked the 5 and he seemed to carry their entire defence at times which prob says more about our attacking threat than anything else.

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:47:00 »

Early 90's Wink

Old age does not come alone 😉
Peter Venkman

« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:51:03 »

Old age does not come alone 😉
Even though Becks agricutural style was a throwback to the 70s and 80s Division 4 football at its worst he was manager at Cambridge from 90 to 92.

I am glad that his style is no longer around much and is diluted somewhat to Flitcroft levels now.

Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:06:32 »

Could just be good planning, to allow for shifting the pitch during the season to avoid constant wear in the six-yard boxes.

I am reliably informed by a CUFC ST holder colleague that the odd extra bit of pitch was a result in the development of the stand that away supporters sit in, during development extra space was added for stand and pitch. The thinking was to move the bounds of the pitch up close to the away stand, thus leaving room from r development of the opposite end stand at the front, as development at the back of this stand was a no go due the encroachment on Newmarket Road.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:38:02 »

I am reliably informed by a CUFC ST holder colleague that the odd extra bit of pitch was a result in the development of the stand that away supporters sit in, during development extra space was added for stand and pitch. The thinking was to move the bounds of the pitch up close to the away stand, thus leaving room from r development of the opposite end stand at the front, as development at the back of this stand was a no go due the encroachment on Newmarket Road.

And having a long conversation with a lovely CUFC couple that they or rather the owner sold the ground when the got relegated to the National League for £1.9m and have a low rental agreement (at the moment) which they seemed happy about… The woman asked me about Pee Lower, I tried to keep it to bullet points but it was difficult especially when you add in the might Roar, Curran, Standing, Barry etc, etc. She did mention Powers tenure there and I replied you’re lucky to still have a team to support. So all in all they thought we’d more than made a fist of the game considering. We parted wishing each other well for the season.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Thursday, August 12, 2021, 07:21:38 »

I see Cambridge have drawn Millwall away in the next round.
Don't think that's any big loss to us.    Extra revenue would have been a bonus, not sure we'd have got rich out of this one but at least we don't have to worry about injuries and bookings.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, August 12, 2021, 07:23:21 »

I see Cambridge have drawn Millwall away in the next round.
Don't think that's any big loss to us.    Extra revenue would have been a bonus, not sure we'd have got rich out of this one but at least we don't have to worry about injuries and bookings.

Or getting a good kicking to and from the ground.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: