Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v STFC Caribou Cup  (Read 16906 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 08:24:51 »

Going by that it seemed like we were much the better side.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 08:46:15 »

If I had to sum that performance up in one sentence it would be "enjoyable and frustrating in equal measures"...reflecting back on it now though I am very, very encouraged by it.

The passing and movement of all 10 outfield players (tbf Ward was comfortable on the ball as well) was a joy to watch and totally belied our L2 status (just as it did 2 seasons ago). The final third was where it got frustrating but we just need to figure our how to best use McKirdy and Simpson, our two potential game changers on the night and that will change. And of course our two other potential game changers, KKH and Gladwin were not on the pitch last night (not criticizing their non-selection which I totally get)

Agree with the positive comments on Crichlow, he looked really accomplished and comfortable on the ball. All the midfield lads were excellent...Payne has been phenomenal in the opening two games...and it's impossible to criticize anyone especially when you consider that the pre-season has been a complete and utter cluster fuck and they've hardly played together. For that reason all the players and coaching staff deserve huge credit.

It was obvious that they were running on fumes for the last 10-15 minutes (or possibly longer) ...understandably so...so to lose on pens was really not surprising, disappointing as it was. In the bigger scheme of things though it really doesn't matter and I'm sure will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Based on what I've seen so far we need to abandon the "I'll be happy just to stay in the League" narrative. A month ago (maybe less) I would have absolutely gone along with that but the landscape thankfully has completely changed and we can look forward and upwards with hope and expectation once again.

Oh yes...the away support once again was fantastic...something which I've always been proud of, no matter what was going on in the boardroom or on the pitch.

Roll on Saturday!
Thanks for that summary mate its good to have the views of someone who was at the match as listening on the radio is an awful experience where you genuinely have little to no idea of how we are actually playing as far too often they are more interested in McKirdys rolled down socks or the colour of the boots rather than what is happening on the pitch.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 08:59:06 »

Thanks for posting this BO.

Based on those highlights we do seem to have had the better chances, the miss by Simpson was a poor one and he should at least have hit the target.

I think the first team is a little beyind Parsons at the moment and he may be better served with a short loan to the Conference to start with as he looked flustered with the great chance yesterday and didnt look fully at ease when he came off the bench on Saturday either.

Critchlow looks commanding at the back and Payne and set up a few good chances, he looks a far better player with some tactical guidance instead of under the dinosaur.

Must admit the chance for McKirdy was commented on as being a great save but it appears to have been a lucky save coming off the keepers forehead, if that had gone in it would have been a very different story today.

As it stands, I am really enjoying the football being played against 2 teams so far that are both much more in the Flitcroft mode of kick and rush style.

Football like that will bring the crowds back if we keep it up.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:01:33 »

Thanks.

Setting aside the highlights, what caught my eye was the massive space between the goal and the stand at the right hand end, have they shortened the pitch as much as they can or something, just odd?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:02:53 »

If I had to sum that performance up in one sentence it would be "enjoyable and frustrating in equal measures"...reflecting back on it now though I am very, very encouraged by it.

The passing and movement of all 10 outfield players (tbf Ward was comfortable on the ball as well) was a joy to watch and totally belied our L2 status (just as it did 2 seasons ago). The final third was where it got frustrating but we just need to figure our how to best use McKirdy and Simpson, our two potential game changers on the night and that will change. And of course our two other potential game changers, KKH and Gladwin were not on the pitch last night (not criticizing their non-selection which I totally get)

Agree with the positive comments on Crichlow, he looked really accomplished and comfortable on the ball. All the midfield lads were excellent...Payne has been phenomenal in the opening two games...and it's impossible to criticize anyone especially when you consider that the pre-season has been a complete and utter cluster fuck and they've hardly played together. For that reason all the players and coaching staff deserve huge credit.

It was obvious that they were running on fumes for the last 10-15 minutes (or possibly longer) ...understandably so...so to lose on pens was really not surprising, disappointing as it was. In the bigger scheme of things though it really doesn't matter and I'm sure will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Based on what I've seen so far we need to abandon the "I'll be happy just to stay in the League" narrative. A month ago (maybe less) I would have absolutely gone along with that but the landscape thankfully has completely changed and we can look forward and upwards with hope and expectation once again.

Oh yes...the away support once again was fantastic...something which I've always been proud of, no matter what was going on in the boardroom or on the pitch.

Roll on Saturday!

I couldn’t have put that better, especially expectations. For me play offs a minimum, wouldn’t be surprised if we go up automatically either. We will be adding before the window closes, which we know and we also know that forwards who are play makers and feeders along with hitting the onion bag a priority. Give that time to gel and see where we are in January before deciding on further additions and tweaking the squad.

Avoid defeat and injuries on Saturday and I’ll be pleased. Roll that into next Tuesday with a with win v Tranny and I will be more than pleased. Not unrealistic expectations I think.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:45:54 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:05:20 »

170 according to the Cambridge OS match report (out of a total of 1825).

Really? I thought more than that but it is always difficult to tell.
Flashheart

« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:09:21 »

Looks like we would have won that in normal time had our forwards been sharper in front of goal, albeit the highlights are one-sided by the looks of it.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:51:18 »

Didn't think Wards kicking was very good at all and he fucking dallies with the ball in the box too much for my liking. Other than that first half we bossed secong half we couldn't keep it up nbut still created enough chances a decent striker would have scored from.
Still see no reason why we can't push on this season, points deduction will be the curse.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:01:20 »

Thanks.

Setting aside the highlights, what caught my eye was the massive space between the goal and the stand at the right hand end, have they shortened the pitch as much as they can or something, just odd?
Its been like that since they built that new away fans stand. Don't know why they put where they did but there must be a reason for it as it does look a bit odd...
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:02:24 »

Now posting in the correct thread!

Thought Iandolo was our best player on the night, along with Payne (close second in the MOTM stakes). Iandolo didn't put a foot wrong defensively, and was a constant outlet going forwards - only criticism would be a little bit of quality lacking on the final cross. Both Iandolo and Payne looked really fit and strong though, where others in the squad were completely blowing out of their arse at the end! (e.g. Harry Parsons - understandable though really)

Crichlow was impressive over the 90 mins, very steady and comfortable on the ball. Had 3 different centre-back partners (Baudry, Odimayo and Grant) on the night as well, not easy to adjust to.

Think we've two excellent pure footballers on our hands with East and Reed as well - represents excellent depth in central midfield once Lyden is fit again and Grant doesn't have to cover at centre-half. Both look like Luke Williams types... small, technically gifted and supremely comfortable getting the ball in tight spaces.

All in all, a good night for STFC. We knew already that we are lacking depth/competition in forward areas. We need at least another main centre-forward and winger to keep Simpson/McKirdy on their toes.

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:02:58 »

Thanks for posting this BO.

Based on those highlights we do seem to have had the better chances, the miss by Simpson was a poor one and he should at least have hit the target.

I think the first team is a little beyind Parsons at the moment and he may be better served with a short loan to the Conference to start with as he looked flustered with the great chance yesterday and didnt look fully at ease when he came off the bench on Saturday either.

Critchlow looks commanding at the back and Payne and set up a few good chances, he looks a far better player with some tactical guidance instead of under the dinosaur.

Must admit the chance for McKirdy was commented on as being a great save but it appears to have been a lucky save coming off the keepers forehead, if that had gone in it would have been a very different story today.

As it stands, I am really enjoying the football being played against 2 teams so far that are both much more in the Flitcroft mode of kick and rush style.

Football like that will bring the crowds back if we keep it up.

No worries.

I think the Simpson one was a little unlucky as his shot wasn't that far over the bar. Granted he should have got it on target. And this is going to be extremely harsh as I know strikers are supposed to shoot and he's probably desperate to get his first senior goal but Parsons simply has to pass to McKirdy to put him 1 on 1 with the keeper. No wonder he was pissed off.

Loads of positives by the looks and sounds of things.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:07:27 »

Its been like that since they built that new away fans stand. Don't know why they put where they did but there must be a reason for it as it does look a bit odd...
Probably built behind the original away terrace that was there on the space where the buses were parked? Would have allowed the terrace to still be used at the time. Didn’t we do that with the Arkells way back when? I’m sure there are pictures of the old and new together for a while?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:08:02 »

Thanks.

I seem to remember a match report back in either the late 70’s or Early 80’s when John Beck was their manager. Two things stuck out in my memory, one was the length of the grass as it was a very early season game and the fact that part of the pitch was an outfield for a cricket pitch and that it was not very even because cars had parked on it during the cricket season. Regarding the grass length it was suggested that Beck liked it like that because they played route one long ball football. Needless to say I’m sure we lost. So I reckon that being the other end was nearer to the main road the stand we were in which looked reasonably new would have been part of said cricket pitch many moons ago?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:08:41 »

I seem to remember a match report back in either the late 70’s or Early 80’s when John Beck was their manager.
Early 90's Wink

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:36:16 »

Wiki seems to suggest said stand dates from 2002? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Stadium

I assume the strange alignment may be similar to Carlisle reflecting a previous aspiration to move the pitch not going ahead.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: