Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Season, New Owner, New Hope  (Read 2983 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 20:34:54 »

I've been a Town fan for almost 40 years. When I say 'a fan'...I mean it's gradually over time, seeped it's into every pore of my body and my consciousness. The Club has become part of me and me...part of it...God help me...

We've all had our hopes built up only to be kicked in the balls over and over again. Two seasons ago when I thought I'd seen it all and was just about ready to relegate STFC to just another amusing pastime, along came Richie Wellens, Eoin Doyle, Jerry Yates et al and once again in spite of myself I 'dared to dream' once again...

Then Covid kicked in and once again STFC was shown up for the house of cards that it was...and I'd fallen for it...yet again...

Wellens leaves, Sheradactyl comes in...and we're on a trajectory which can only lead to the National League or (arguably) worse... AFC Swindon..

My natural defence was to just switch myself off from the whole sorry affair. What was happening was too awful to contemplate and I cared far too much for something which no right minded person would give two fucks about...

So I did that...football without fans was just beyond awful and helped me maintain my 'don't give a shit' attitude...and we were duly relegated...

Then along came Clem...and Rob Angus... and with them came transparency, engagement with the fans, BELIEF, and most importantly...HOPE...

Words can't express how much I've missed my Club these last few months and I welcome it back into my life with open arms...
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 20:39:55 »

Although a distance from Swindon prevents me from attending very often, my feelings are very much the same. Beautifully said OST. Even at my ripe old age, I feel the excitement and hope rising.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 20:44:20 »

Take the rough with the smooth but I envy anyone who can switch on and off.

I have always opted to endure the bad times and my reward is that it makes the good times even better.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:07:27 »

Take the rough with the smooth but I envy anyone who can switch on and off.

I have always opted to endure the bad times and my reward is that it makes the good times even better.
I know all about taking the rough with the smooth mate...I'm a Town fan  Wink ...and it wasn't a case of 'switching off' last season...perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully (although I did try)...I had to cut myself off because the Club means so much to me and what was happening to it was so painful to me.

My whole post was about how much the Club means to me and how I dealt with it when it appeared to be going down the proverbial pan...

...and most importantly...how it's breathed new life into me again...and that really is the whole point of my post...
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:11:54 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:12:24 »

self protection mode..

understandable.

the good thing is you're back now
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:19:54 »

I never went away, started as a 10 year old in 73, fairly Stable then in div 3 then mid 70's to 1980 under Bobby Smith was a golden era with some great cup games and promotion battles before it ended suddenly. Early 80's was dire until Macari arrived and the rest is history and often eventful!

So, give no fucks
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:23:33 »

self protection mode..

understandable.

the good thing is you're back now
Exactly...we all have different ways of coping with things. What I really wanted to get across though, rather than focus on last season's God awful cluster fuck was to try to convey how good it is to feel optimistic again...to be refreshing the TEF or Twitter every 5 minutes for transfer rumours or any kind of STFC news...to just feel good about MY club again...I'm feeling totally invigorated...that really was my point.*

*must do better next time Wink
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:36:34 »

Being a Swindon fan has taught me to shrug off most disappointments, as I'm sure it has most of us. That said, on reflection last season was pretty hard to take, and I think I've only really realised how shit this period has been now that it's over and there seems to be constant good news flow. Such a difference.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 25, 2021, 21:53:15 »

I know all about taking the rough with the smooth mate...I'm a Town fan  Wink ...and it wasn't a case of 'switching off' last season...perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully (although I did try)...I had to cut myself off because the Club means so much to me and what was happening to it was so painful to me.

My whole post was about how much the Club means to me and how I dealt with it when it appeared to be going down the proverbial pan...

...and most importantly...how it's breathed new life into me again...and that really is the whole point of my post...

I've read *a lot* of 'Things are looking up so I'M BACK, BABY' sentiment recently and I lumped your feel good post in with the rest. My bad and apologies.

For the record, I'm happy people are healing. The last year has been the god awful.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 26, 2021, 12:53:34 »

I've been a Town fan for almost 40 years. When I say 'a fan'...I mean it's gradually over time, seeped it's into every pore of my body and my consciousness. The Club has become part of me and me...part of it...God help me...

We've all had our hopes built up only to be kicked in the balls over and over again. Two seasons ago when I thought I'd seen it all and was just about ready to relegate STFC to just another amusing pastime, along came Richie Wellens, Eoin Doyle, Jerry Yates et al and once again in spite of myself I 'dared to dream' once again...

Then Covid kicked in and once again STFC was shown up for the house of cards that it was...and I'd fallen for it...yet again...

Wellens leaves, Sheradactyl comes in...and we're on a trajectory which can only lead to the National League or (arguably) worse... AFC Swindon..

My natural defence was to just switch myself off from the whole sorry affair. What was happening was too awful to contemplate and I cared far too much for something which no right minded person would give two fucks about...

So I did that...football without fans was just beyond awful and helped me maintain my 'don't give a shit' attitude...and we were duly relegated...

Then along came Clem...and Rob Angus... and with them came transparency, engagement with the fans, BELIEF, and most importantly...HOPE...

Words can't express how much I've missed my Club these last few months and I welcome it back into my life with open arms...

A post from the heart.
Difficult to put into words the last 12 turbulent months. Most knew that even during the high with Wellens all was not right behind the scenes, but who cared, we deserved to dream and believe albeit iit was always going to come crashing down in true Swindon style.
Last season was the worst in all my times of supporting this club. Covid, financial meltdown, The worst Manager in football history and so much more. Missed going to watch the games but ironically that in reality was a positive as the shit show was beyond anyone enjoying it.
Racking up with a shite team beating Oxford even now is hard to believe.

Roll on now, appears we have our club back but I remain cautious as to how bad the state of the club is right now. I guess if we dodge any points deductions then this will be great. Power will be shitting it come September and I hope he gets the lot thrown at him. Absolutely detest the bastard.

So we go again the chance to travel away (hopefully) and to walk back into the CG with a crowd. I think it will only sink in when I take my seat, still wounded and drained by all of this and allowed myself to get involved once again after declaring no more after the Diamandis overthrow.

It will be great to see you in person mate, like it is with so many down trodden warriors.
Always said this club would kill me and no reason not to change the mind. This season one of consolidation and getting the finances back on track, the next we believe again.
We just don’t know any different and it gets us in the heart, stomach and head.
3 days we were gone but came back alive. That alone makes it all worthwhile.

Cracking post.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2021, 12:25:40 »

Extremely relatable. Also has been my defense for the longest time but it's over now. People were talking about boycotting this season but I haven't paid full price for a home ticket since the Bristol Rovers postponement debacle.

I'm relieved its over and I can now back the club again in good faith. It's a great feeling.

I always cared, I just tried to convince myself I didn't anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: