Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Speedway Stadium  (Read 7240 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 26, 2022, 09:39:58 »

So that's no speedway in Swindon since the last title winning season?

Shame, as speedway has had an important role in the sporting culture of the town.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, September 26, 2022, 09:53:13 »

So that's no speedway in Swindon since the last title winning season?

Shame, as speedway has had an important role in the sporting culture of the town.

Exactly that Bob, full of promises which is a shame as we had a lot of momentum with Rosco in charge and crowds were decent with exciting racing.

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, September 26, 2022, 11:39:37 »

Thought the speedway on the TV has dropped in standard too. The Premier league stuff on Sky has been rubbish - Not sure if that is because there are so few teams, or because the riders are either young kids, old men at the end of their career, or the odd top rider without their best equipment.

The GP stuff has been poor too. First from the gate wins - Often been the way, but the tracks don't seem to have any grip that would allow passing.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 07:23:17 »

When BT had speedway a few years ago the coverage was good and speedway was exciting but now as you say the tracks have become boring and the quality isn't there anymore and hard to see that the sport has a future.

So, give no fucks
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 09:37:52 »

When BT had speedway a few years ago the coverage was good and speedway was exciting but now as you say the tracks have become boring and the quality isn't there anymore and hard to see that the sport has a future.

I think part of the problem is that the bikes/engines are just too fast/powerful.

Also doesn’t help the way the tracks are setup.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 14:40:10 »

Game over it would appear. https://www.swindon-speedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.3519.1

I don't know Swindon that well, but what are the chance of getting a site for a motor sport stadium in such a built up area, when I worked in Workington the speedway track was across the road from the Council offices, that was noisy enough!
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 14:51:56 »

This has been a shambles from at least 10 years ago. Lots of promises never met. Combo of moneymen / politicians never interested in speedway one bit  Greyhounds kept things going for a while, planning permission for housing was always going to do for speedway at the Abbey. So sad to see this !
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 15:50:38 »

Very sad news. Unfortunately could see this coming a mile off. Another kick in the teeth to Swindon heritage. Another housing estate awaits.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 21:10:46 »

Game over it would appear. https://www.swindon-speedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.3519.1

I don't know Swindon that well, but what are the chance of getting a site for a motor sport stadium in such a built up area, when I worked in Workington the speedway track was across the road from the Council offices, that was noisy enough!

Really sad news as I had many good times at the Abbey stadium and disappointed that the supporters and people of Swindon have been led up the garden path with lies.

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 21:17:24 »

Indeed. Writing was on the wall when Wally Mawdsley took over! 😂

Seriously,  the sale to British Car Auctions was bad. The move from Saturday to Thursday was a killer for many out of town fans. Then Gaming International and their dissolution of speedway at Reading, Poole and now Swindon.

All they cared about was the greyhound racing. Must have made them more money.

« Last Edit: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 05:10:56 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2022, 22:07:59 »

As a teenager Saturday's were spent at the country ground in the afternoon then rushing home for some tea then hopping on a green double decker bus up to the Abbey stadium for the speedway. Happy memories.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 08:06:39 »

All they cared about was the greyhound racing. Must have made them more money.

Which would suggest that Speedway is seriously on its arse as Greyhound racing seems barely viable in many places, albeit seen suggestion elsewhere its the 6th most watched sport in the UK (but I suspect that once you get below football, rugby and cricket the attendances don't need to be very high to get on that list!).
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 08:10:45 »

Which would suggest that Speedway is seriously on its arse as Greyhound racing seems barely viable in many places, albeit seen suggestion elsewhere its the 6th most watched sport in the UK (but I suspect that once you get below football, rugby and cricket the attendances don't need to be very high to get on that list!).

Is Speedway lumped in as motor sport in that list? Or would it be completely separate from F1, MotoGP etc?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 08:15:01 »

Is Speedway lumped in as motor sport in that list? Or would it be completely separate from F1, MotoGP etc?

The 6th on the list was Greyhound racing, no idea where speedway stands sorry.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 09:25:11 »

Good piece in the Adver although a litle inconclusive.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/22816220.future-hold-abbey-stadium/
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 29, 2022, 09:31:27 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: