Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v Germany  (Read 25189 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:14:04 »

I think what we need to take into consideration is that if we play the gung ho attacking football everyone wants we will be in trouble. Our 2 midfielders are not good enough in a team that plays like that and at times are really exposed.

I would go against the grain and suggest if anything last night we were a defensive midfielder short at times
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:19:40 »

I still think Henderson offers more to the team than Rice defensively and going forwards, not fully gung ho but attacking with a bit more impetus and pace and actually shooting would be nice (barring 1 shot from Sterling) we rarely offered a shot outside the 6 yard box.

As it is it did the job, it didn't excel in the win but the result must come first I guess.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:23:11 »

Personally, the 4-1 win over the Dutch in 96 was better, in fact possibly the best an England team performance I can remember.

Absolutely, only  matched with the 5-1 away win in Germany in 2001 but of course that wasn't at the final stages. Both far better all round performances than last night.

Agreed, strangely I remember both of those games vividly but not really for footballing reasons;

Netherlands 1996 I didn't actually watch the game on the telly as it was the day I got my finals results at Uni and we ended up spending the day playing football and getting pissed on the beach at Tynemouth.

Germany 2001 My brothers wedding day so ended up watching the game in a side room at the reception where they had set up a telly. I had been made redundant the day before so watched the game drowning my sorrows with my mum (who didn't drink) and then we got locked out of our hotel! Flew to Sweden a couple of days later to stay with my other brother (not like I had to get back to work) and then 9/11 happened!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:24:49 »

I still think Henderson offers more to the team than Rice defensively and going forwards, not fully gung ho but attacking with a bit more impetus and pace and actually shooting would be nice (barring 1 shot from Sterling) we rarely offered a shot outside the 6 yard box.

As it is it did the job, it didn't excel in the win but the result must come first I guess.

I suspect that Henderson might replace Rice if he is fit enough, I think fans need to get a better handle that swash buckling football while nice on the eye rarely wins, spoken as someone who lived in Newcastle through the Keegan years!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:28:04 »

I suspect that Henderson might replace Rice if he is fit enough, I think fans need to get a better handle that swash buckling football while nice on the eye rarely wins, spoken as someone who lived in Newcastle through the Keegan years!
I am not advocating shwashbuckling, just a bit more attacking flair, when you start the game with a goalkeeper, 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders than just maybe your forward players should be looking at taking just a few more risks with shots rather than walking the ball into the net?

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:33:21 »

^^^^  yep
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:39:07 »

I am not advocating shwashbuckling, just a bit more attacking flair, when you start the game with a goalkeeper, 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders than just maybe your forward players should be looking at taking just a few more risks with shots rather than walking the ball into the net?

T'wasn't aimed at you, more fans generally.....
Peter Venkman

« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 09:48:43 »

T'wasn't aimed at you, more fans generally.....
I think any of the slighty educated fans will know that balls out attacking very very rarely works in any football let alone international football, all I ask is a little more creation of chances.

When you have Grealish, Sterling, Sancho, Saka, Foden, Mount, Rashford and Calvert-Lewin then I think its an embarressment of riches in attack yet we seem to have created so little so far in the 4 games, I fully understand why some fans are asking that question though.

For me I have no problem with the attacking 3 players in Kane, Sterling and Saka but none seem to take even the remotest risk looking to play a safe pass, unlike Grealish who loves to run at players and take them on and go past them inviting the foul and Foden who loves to have a pop at goal from outside the box, I think Sterlings shot from 20 yards must have been pretty much our first long range effort this tournament, or close to it.

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 10:23:31 »

All that matters is the result. Yeah it wasn't perfect, but it was a convincing win in the end. If we don't win it this year then we never will. Big chance it comes home
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 10:27:29 »

It definitely wasn't a mind blowing attacking performance, but it was an excellent one defensively and in controlling the game - particularly the tweak after ten minutes to drop Sterling a little deeper and help the midfield who were being overrun and then replacing Saka with Grealish changing up our attack. In-game tactical tweaks aren't really what I'd consider Southgate's strength, so the fact that he made a couple that clearly affected the game is a real bonus. We're definitely not especially strong going forward, but we haven't conceded a single goal - against teams that have scored 3 past Spain, 4 past Portugal and 2 past the Netherlands. And Scotland.

This is a very strong defensive team with enough quality up front to nick the winner. I'd back that side to go much further than a Sven team that's trying to shoehorn the 11 most famous players into just about any formation. We're a bit like Nuno's Wolves of two years back really, and that's not the worst thing to be in an international tournament - Kane, Sterling and Saka as Jiminez, Jota and Traore.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 10:35:50 »

Absolutely, only  matched with the 5-1 away win in Germany in 2001 but of course that wasn't at the final stages. Both far better all round performances than last night.

Cheesy

Which reminds me of a story that is mildly amusing.

My late nan was German. Which obviously means we have German relatives.
Thorsten (RIP) was such a relative. He used to visit England a lot.

One day he and his father (also RIP) were driving from the airport to my nans in Gloucester and needed to stop for a pee in the services.

They must have spoken to each other in German while pee'ing. Next thing a guy in there was all "we won, we won, we won"

(Thorsten thinks "oh no not the war...again")

"we won, we won"

(Thorsten think "isn't it time to let it go?" )

"we won, we won. 5-1 even Heskey scored, 5-1, eeeeeven Heskey scored..."

Peter Venkman

« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 10:41:53 »

Which reminds me of a story that is mildly amusing.

My late nan was German. Which obviously means we have German relatives.
Thorsten (RIP) was such a relative. He used to visit England a lot.

One day he and his father (also RIP) were driving from the airport to my nans in Gloucester and needed to stop for a pee in the services.

They must have spoken to each other in German while pee'ing. Next thing a guy in there was all "we won, we won, we won"

(Thorsten thinks "oh no not the war...again")

"we won, we won"

(Thorsten think "isn't it time to let it go?" )

Don't mention der Sieg, herr Batch.

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 10:57:16 »

Von Batch  Smiley
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 11:05:24 »

Reminds me of the time we watched a world Cup game in Trier, Germany.

Whilst hunting for a cab back to Luxembourg myself and 2 mates spent a good 5 minutes singing the "5-1 even Heskey scored" song to the chagrin of the locals. Thankfully we found and jumped into a taxi before some of the more angry locals got pissed off and started running towards us. We'd have been battered had that taxi not been there at that time!!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 11:09:58 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 11:13:14 »

I had a 5-1 Tee shirt back in the day.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: