Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Day 11: MAC/NET, UKR/AUT, FIN/BEL, RUS/DEN  (Read 6759 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 11:03:18 »

Four games today, first two at 5pm, second two at 8pm.

Two fairly well balanced matches and two likely walkovers.

We're starting with Group C, for some reason, in which Ukraine v Austria is essentially a knockout tie although a draw might get both through on best third place.

Then Group B, in which Belgium are going to win the group and if Denmark beat Russia, there's then a three way three point mess. If Russia win or draw they come second, assuming Finland get nothing against Belgium.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 11:05:06 »

What happens if any of the third place teams all tie do they draw from a hat?

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 11:05:53 »

What order does it go in after points? GD it H2H second?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 11:08:47 »

I've not hard anybody discuss the possibilities of third place teams tieing etc

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 11:09:07 »

I'll be honest, there are some complex rules here.

If two or more teams are level on points at the end of the group stage, head-to-head record is used as the first tie-breaker to determine their final rankings.

This is followed by goal difference and goals scored in the matches between the teams in question, followed by goal difference, goals scored, most wins and then disciplinary record across the group as a whole.

However, if two teams that play each other on the final day of the group stage are level on points, goals scored and conceded - and are not level with any other side - a penalty shootout will be used to decide their placings.

If Ukraine and Austria draw, Ukraine have scored one more goal, which regrettably means no penalty shootout.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:13:19 »

I'll be honest, there are some complex rules here.

If Ukraine and Austria draw, Ukraine have scored one more goal, which regrettably means no penalty shootout.

I’m confused.

The way I read that - is if two teams are level on points. It goes to head to head.
If that is level it goes to GD then GS in games between those two teams.

...but...as they only play each other once, if the head to head record is even it means they’ve drawn with each other which means the GD and GS will be even too? It would work if over two games if say game one was a 3-0 score and the second a 2-0 score line as the head to head would be a win each but the GD different.

Also, what happens if two third place teams in different groups have the same points, goal difference, goals for and goals against etc, etc.
Would they have to arrange those two teams to have a penalty shoot out somewhere?
« Last Edit: Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:15:13 by DV Canio » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:17:32 »

It must be goal difference and goals scored overall, no? I know that's not what it says, but h2h, GD and GS in the head to head game are logically all going to be the same if it's a draw.

Basically, the whole system is a mess and I have no idea.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:33:38 »

It must be goal difference and goals scored overall, no? I know that's not what it says, but h2h, GD and GS in the head to head game are logically all going to be the same if it's a draw.

Basically, the whole system is a mess and I have no idea.

You’d think but it says in ‘in matches between these teams’ would could either mean just the H2H matches (makes no sense) or all the group matches (makes more sense) But then it’s specifically states of all that is even (which it will be if it’s H2H) then it goes to GD, GS etc over the whole group.

I mean I can’t imagine it will come remotely close to needing this depth to decide places but it would interesting if it did come to it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 12:33:56 »

I read that as overall GD and GS in this case too. Which is advantage Ukraine.

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 17:02:14 »

I read somewhere that fair play & qualification records come into play at some point if necessary.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 20:43:00 »

I think their crowd maybe counts a lot, but Denmark have looked really good. Should have got something against Belgium, and before you know what happened vs Finland looked as if they would win that comfortably too

Things get better but they never get good
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 20:45:37 »

Makes me laugh, Russian athletes are top notch in many, many sports, however in football where doping is (you'd imagine) beyond difficult, they're not very good...

Crackity Jones

« Reply #12 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 20:51:49 »

Fabulous performance by Denmark in front of a great crowd. Some cracking goals as well. After all that has happened from the first game, it's fitting that they have made it through
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 21:12:13 »

I'm absolutely loving the Wales and Scotland fans monitoring every reference of England during the coverage of games. The BBC even did a segment on football boots ahead of discussing Scotland's game against Croatia!

They're absolutely right to be irked but, still, very funny. Especially when you consider that the coverage we get is nothing more than filler/fluff.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 21:26:02 »

Makes me laugh, Russian athletes are top notch in many, many sports, however in football where doping is (you'd imagine) beyond difficult, they're not very good...

Pure strength maybe. For cardio fitness and recovery? I'd be shocked if it wasn't pretty widespread. Certainly testing is fairly minimal compared to most sports.

Great performance from the Danes and a real pleasure to see them through. I imagine the country is right behind the team right now and fair enough.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: