Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Preseason Friendlies 2021/22  (Read 52052 times)
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 16:03:00 »

Don't forsee us managing any sort of consistency for a few weeks when we finally have a settled squad. The odd result would be nice.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 16:34:29 »

Here's what I thought...

Fist half we lined up with a flat back 4, Grant protecting as defensive midfielder, Gladwin and #20 (Chelsea youngster?) as central attacking mids, McKirdy and Payne wide men and Simpson up front. Simpson is a big unit BTW.

We had more of the ball, but while we had a few half chances we didn't create anything clear cut. The central midfield 3 worked really well. Grant was an absolute beast, bossing and winning almost everything. Gladwin added that touch of something we missed after Doughty quit. #20 pressed well.

Both McKirdy and Payne got a fair bit of the ball and looked lively but without providing the final ball.
Simpson had a decent touch for a big lad, won't get bullied in league 2 but no chance to see his goal threat.

However Posh created as much as we did, even if they had less possession. In fact it took a smart save from JoJo from a one on one to keep it 0-0 at half time.

Second half we switched to a back 3/5 (wing backs) with Iandolo and Hunt bombing on. Gladwin was withdrawn with what I assume to be normal reasons of lack of pre-season. However this lost us our possession  advantage as the midfield struggled.

McKirdy went off pretty quickly after he had twisted hin ankle in the first half falling over the ball (and he got a free kick.

Midway in the second half, with Simpson off, Payne and a lively Ndjoli (?) combined a lightening quick 1-2 which Payne fired into the side netting when he should have hit the target.

As I was typing this to JJ (Venks) Posh broke quickly and the ball was in the net. Sounded soft, a cross and tap in but I didn't actually see it!

There were many many changes during the half, by the end I was only sure of JoJo Wallacott and Harry Parsons names.
--
In summary we looked OK in the first half - but Grant and McKirdy are only on trial at this stage.
There isn't much strength in depth though. And I worry about a lack of goal threat, not that this is aimed at Simpson.

None of the second half trialists really stood out, and with so many changes that perhaps isn't surprising. Ndjoli did look bright, but yet there is this nagging doubt at the back of my mind about him being of the quality we need. Mind you, there are a few players that could apply to.

All in all a lot of work to do. We look a couple of weeks off full match fitness (unsurprisingly)..

But by fuck it was fantastic to be back
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 16:47:30 »

Nice write up Batch...thanks... Smiley
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 16:53:00 »

Thanks Batch.

The comment about Ndjoli was what I thought in last week's game vs Weymouth.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 18:23:21 »

Popped the ball around quite nicely, but never looked like creating much. Thought the new striker showed glimpses but generally looked very raw; first touch was off it and needs to run in behind better. Gladwin looked streaks above anything else we’ve got and Grant looked like Grant, combative and a nuisance with the high press we deployed. 2nd half was more of the same until all the trialists came on, Ndjoli looked tidy and the centre back (number 5) looked useful. Apart from that, they all seemed duds (might be harsh as they didn’t have that long).

It’s going to take a long time, we’re miles off it regards to squad depth and fitness, but I think they’ll improve. Fan support will be huge this year. Gotta keep positive and support the team. If we do that and pick up a few more good signings we should have enough to stay up. Keep the faith COYMR
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 18:50:42 »

Looks like Clem has been in the CHG pulling pints.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 18:54:45 »

Tried to watch the game objectively and see what players were doing off the ball and we looked quite sound defensively and in midfield, plenty of covering, tackling and working back. Up front was a bit one paced, knocked the ball around quite well but my feeling was that we required a player willing to put pressure on their defence and make those selfless runs (Tyler Smith would do a job but unlikely I guess).

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 19:01:37 »

20 looked alright, but small. 14 (I think, the striker that came on) looked quite good too. 5, the defender who came on at half time looked ok, a couple of aimless headers led to a bit of trouble but nothing drastically bad. Any others didn't really register... (setting aside McKirdy, who I'm assuming much like Grant is all but signed, just waiting for signing embargos to be lifted/longer, more expensive contracts be allowed
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 31, 2021, 19:03:12 by Leggett » Logged

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #383 on: Sunday, August 1, 2021, 09:26:16 »

Looks like Clem has been in the CHG pulling pints.

Aussies, bred for bar work.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: