Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia! Remembering the 70's  (Read 15052 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 16:56:57 »

Saw them at the Oasis. Not sure if it was late 70s or early 80s. My first “pop concert”.
I saw them in 2014 in Taunton on their 50th anniversary tour, they were ok but didn't play any of the great songs from the late 70's early 80s at all, like a Taste of aggro, Live in trouble or the Highworth Cowboy.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 18:21:29 »

Seemingly, every bag of crisps back then contained a small blue sack of salt with a twisty top.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 21:18:30 »

Then along came an ingenious invention called a 'ring pull ' !!.

I think you had to be around in the 70's to realise how difficult I thought was to open a party 7

* IMG_3770.JPG (118.91 KB, 818x1080 - viewed 73 times.)

So, give no fucks
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 22:14:56 »

My old man was based in Aden, Jordan and Oman in the services, but that was back in the 50's doing his National Service, he was with the Glorious Glosters.

Did he fight in Korea with them? Their story in Korea is frankly remarkable.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 22:25:53 »

I think you had to be around in the 70's to realise how difficult I thought was to open a party 7

Yes, you really needed one of those tin can/bottle openers to punch a triangular hole epithet side to get a result.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 22:38:02 »

I think we were desperate once and used a hammer & 4 inch nail😀

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 22:49:41 »

I think we were desperate once and used a hammer & 4 inch nail😀

Screwdrivers were also a good weapon of choice.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 23:40:08 »

Pint Pint

So, give no fucks
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 07:16:47 »

Always thought Watneys Red Barrel was shit.

This may be because those Party 7s, once opened, had been handy but camouflaging receptacles for cigarette butts at the rather naff parties I attended.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #159 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 09:28:12 »

Did he fight in Korea with them? Their story in Korea is frankly remarkable.
He was in Korea and proudly wore his Korean medal. He never spoke about it though.

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 10:02:51 »

He was in Korea and proudly wore his Korean medal. He never spoke about it though.

My old chap was in Korea. A Sapper. Got injured with a bit of rock shrapnel when they came under mortar attack, nothing to serious but enough to be withdrawn from the front line.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #161 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 10:21:47 »

My old chap was in Korea. A Sapper. Got injured with a bit of rock shrapnel when they came under mortar attack, nothing to serious but enough to be withdrawn from the front line.
Its almost the forgotten war, nobody ever talks about it and for those there it was appalling, like I said my old man never spoke about it whereas he loved to talk about Aden and the Oman and saying how unimpressive Petra was back then and how he kept pet scorpions in matchboxes!

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 10:22:29 »

My old man was based in Aden, Jordan and Oman in the services, but that was back in the 50's doing his National Service, he was with the Glorious Glosters.

Christ he got around, when my old man was doing his National Service in the 50's he didn't get much beyond Hereford, seemed to spend most of the time playing basketball!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #163 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 10:39:14 »

Christ he got around, when my old man was doing his National Service in the 50's he didn't get much beyond Hereford, seemed to spend most of the time playing basketball!
My dad was in the forces from 47 to 53 and got to staff sergeant and was head of the motor pool for the Gloucestershire regiment so had to go wherever they needed equipment.

He was based in Imjin Barracks for the first 3 months (obviously before it was called that!) and then went everywhere they fought or defended.

I have a couple of his photos from the middle east but nothing from Korea at all, sitting on his Scammells and Centurian tanks.

These are the only pics I have scanned so far on my PC, the bottom 2 are from Aden.

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, June 10, 2021, 10:53:09 »

Its almost the forgotten war, nobody ever talks about it and for those there it was appalling, like I said my old man never spoke about it whereas he loved to talk about Aden and the Oman and saying how unimpressive Petra was back then and how he kept pet scorpions in matchboxes!

Yeah, the forgotten war is what it is generally known as. He also went to Japan and Cyprus, maybe other places but I’m not aware of them and as he’s passed away I’ll never know unless I did out his service record.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: