Poll
Question: Would you support a move away from the County Ground?
Keep the stadium the way it is. Forever - 5 (4.5%)
Absolutely Not! We must stay and rebuild - 61 (55.5%)
No, but could understand it - 9 (8.2%)
Wouldn't be against it, but would rather not - 19 (17.3%)
Don't care - 1 (0.9%)
Yes, if we didn't move out of town - 10 (9.1%)
Yes, even if it was 'out of town' - 3 (2.7%)
Pack the whole thing up and move to Chippenham - 2 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 103

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you support a move away from the County Ground?  (Read 23713 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 09:18:19 »

If only it was that simple! Good luck trying to get the protected cricket pavilion relocated!

It can be sympathetically raised to the ground with a coordinated petrol bomb attack. Just to be clear I am only kidding. There must be a way to dismantle it and resite it at as suggested Mannington Rec. Cost a few quid I’m sure but the rebuilt and maybe remodelled structure would be top drawer.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 09:26:35 »

The CG site is more than adequate in size and it's been repeated on here many times before the houses behind the Stratton Bank aren't really an issue in terms of redevelopment. We could something like at the City Ground and just have a reduced height some point across it if there are light issues.

There's plenty of room behind the DRS, Arkell's and Town End for our needs and worst case you could always leave a road/walkway underneath the stands to maintain the existing access similar to what Fulham wanted to do or are doing at Craven Cottage.

It's not like we are going to ever need a ground greater than 20k capacity so there is more than enough room at the CG for our current needs and in reality all needs we will have in the future.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 12:34:19 »

Sold out every week and a ballot required?....then yes.

But thats not the issue.

TE and Bank need to be redone though.

Away fans in an away end would improve the atmosphere.

Clems Army!
Flashheart

« Reply #33 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 12:44:26 »

I like the County Ground. It oozes character and can raise one hell of an atmosphere when full.

I'd like to see a 'new and improved' County Ground rather than a completely new design.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 12:52:39 »

A smaller version of Cincinatti FC's TQ Stadium would be good.

https://tqlstadium.com/stadium-news/the-details-behind-the-bailey-20

Full sight of the pitch from the bar may be an issue though I guess! - you could incorporate the DR Stand into this easily enough.

These got a decent one as well

https://www.mnufc.com/stadium

The clear end would work for the Bank maybe.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 28, 2021, 12:54:56 by RobertT » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 12:53:14 »

Oh, and the location is near perfect right now, nowhere better in Swindon exists these days.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 12:58:27 »

The CG site is more than adequate in size and it's been repeated on here many times before the houses behind the Stratton Bank aren't really an issue in terms of redevelopment. We could something like at the City Ground and just have a reduced height some point across it if there are light issues.

A lot of its down to interpretation by Councils, as an example this is the relationship between St James Park and Leazes Terrace (which is a grade I listed building) in Newcastle (its actually even worse now as this is the corner adjacent to the bloody huge Leazes End stand).

Coincidentally my bedroom window as a first year student was the top floor one to the left of the projection on Leazes Terrace (the year before I started was the year NUFC and STFC were promoted from L1 and as the corner was unfilled that year you could see the whole pitch from the bedroom window).  
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:03:01 »

Lots of things to consider, though can't say i'm tied to the CG particularly.

There were so many examples of clubs who built new stadiums and pushed on as a team afterwards. Less so with redevelopment, and also if the new stadium is a bit shit or tiny.

What they need to do though for me is heavily consider atmosphere generation. The key for me, that you see in Germany, particularly Dortmund, but also at the Millennium Stadium is really steep sides. I know there are limits post Hillsborough, but accept that fact the ground never needs to be much above 30k and get as many fans as close to the pitch as possible. None of this shallow shit. I want those steep kop like banks and a proper atmosphere.

Cut out the lower two tiers and just give me that steep top tier next to the pitch.

In fact i would also abandon the corners, so the stands can be close to the pitch, so the corner bit is only filled in half way up as it so close together. Like how the germans do, see below for corners. Really make it different and give it some personality.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:04:54 »

I was just looking at the satellite image of the CG and the problem with renovating behind the DR and the Stratton bank are restricted due to houses. However there is a mass of land where the cricket pitch is where we could renovate to our hearts content. Move the cricket pitch to Taunton or wherever, jobs a goodun!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:08:17 »

Move the cricket pitch to Taunton or wherever, jobs a goodun!
We dont want your junk thanks!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:12:09 »

After all the fuss about the houses behind the bank, didn't something get planning permission but never built. If so does anyone know what it looked like and how many it seated?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:17:44 »

I like the County Ground. It oozes character and can raise one hell of an atmosphere when full.

I'd like to see a 'new and improved' County Ground rather than a completely new design.
I'd be delighted with that - and that may be the most we ever get.  You're right on atmosphere and I personally just love the "iconic" floodlights and Rolex clock.  They're like our Twin Towers  Wink.  Clem mentioned executive suites.  The beloved Townend as well as the Stratton have looked especially shoddy with the bolt on seats.

We'll probably get a lot less than that but in an ideal world I'd love to see new, purpose built facilities at the CG site that may (if STFC were somehow gifted the benefit) see a share in new income streams of permanent benefit to the club.

However I just imagine the 'traders or the Pox or Cardiff City turning up with frightened business persons or gym users and staff cowering in the carnage inflicted on the shiny new development.

As separate issues we'll also need to consider

1.  expandability  (hello Ryman League  Wink)
2.  safe standing
3.  green/sustainability design

« Last Edit: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:21:56 by RedRag » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:19:08 »

After all the fuss about the houses behind the bank, didn't something get planning permission but never built. If so does anyone know what it looked like and how many it seated?

To answer my own question, planning application T/94/0807 approved on 24th August 1994 for demo of terrace and erection of new stand seating 2,760 people.

Sadly only decision notice online, no drawings.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #43 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:19:46 »

I like the Stadion Miejski Lubin stadium in Poland, the ground of Joe Romanski team.

A 16,000 capacity ground compact and could possibly encompass the DRS into its build to save on some costs.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, May 28, 2021, 13:21:05 »

To answer my own question, planning application T/94/0807 approved on 24th August 1994 for demo of terrace and erection of new stand seating 2,760 people.

Sadly only decision notice online, no drawings.
Was basically a replica of the DRS if I remember rightly, can't remember if it had a corner infill or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: