Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What should we expect from Wellens?  (Read 12724 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, May 16, 2021, 19:21:22 »

And, for part of the season, presided over the team that subsequently tumbled back into div 4.

Nothing to see here
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 08:01:26 »

For me Wellens was like a breath of fresh air - he arrived after a season and a half of sterile hoof ball under David Flitcroft, followed by about a year (over two seasons) of Phil Brown - who by te end had completely run out of ideas - there was no discernible style of play, and the team selection was increasingly random - almost as if the shirt numbers were pulled out of a hat.
We also had an unbalanced squad, with the two best players from the previous season (Matt Taylor and Marc Richards) having a combined age of over 70). I would discount the day one loss 0-4 home to Carlisle as he had had about 3 days in the job.
It quickly became obvious what RW was trying to do, there was a style and pattern of play (hindered a bit by the fact that inherited player fitness levels weren’t high enough as they hadn’t heard up for a highpressing game.)
The first “full” season - ultimately curtailed by COVID - was very good . We had a winning team, exciting style of play, and Wellens recognised the importance of engaging the fans and worked on that.

This season, the policy of having player with poor fitness histories - on the basis you might get 25-30 games out of each - failed because of the relentless Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday treadmill without the usual gaps.

Obviously we are disappointed by how he left - but none of us really knows the full facts around that - clearly COVID issues constrained the budget - living alone 200 miles from your family in a pandemic must be tough mentally.
We also don’t really know who was responsible for which transfer signings.

I think if given time he will do a good job at Doncaster.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 08:03:19 »

time to let go chaps
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 09:03:34 »

time to let go chaps

Yes

Nothing to see here
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 09:39:31 »

Stating that a manager did well for us when asked for opinions is not letting it go?

There are still people on here bleating about wanting Di Canio back FFS.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 09:44:08 »

He was great, how he valued the club/community bond was just what had been missing from the club for years.
He'll only get better imo, he's by no means perfect but then he's only got 2.5 seasons of experience so of course he isn't.

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:02:51 »

Wellens seems to have a special ability to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

Yes, he had Doyle, Yates Isgrove and especially A Grant, BFG and Wooley

Fuc@ing hell with those key members missing this season is it no wonder why we went down like a whores drawers ::::Sad

Power you need to go now  Bad Mood   
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:05:58 »

Yes, he had Doyle, Yates Isgrove and especially A Grant, BFG and Wooley

There were 22 other teams in this league that also did not have those players. 21 of them finished above us.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:12:53 »

FH

These teams also didn't have Curren or a loser of a manager for 60% of the season.

Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:14:52 »

Also,

Take away the players I mentioned STFC would not have been promoted from the 4th division either
Flashheart

« Reply #40 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:31:22 »

FH

These teams also didn't have Curren or a loser of a manager for 60% of the season.

I know that. That's MY point. (Along with the fucked up recruitment at the start of the season)

Pointing out the players we lost is no excuse for any manager. While you can expect some disruption, an unsettled Swindon squad should still at least be able to finish mid-table-ish in L1.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:34:00 »

I know that. That's MY point. (Along with the fucked up recruitment at the start of the season)

Pointing out the players we lost is no excuse for any manager. While you can expect some disruption, an unsettled Swindon squad should still at least be able to finish mid-table-ish in L1.

TBF - our sqaud this year, though nowhere near as good as last year, was good enough to stay above the bottom 4 this season - our management team wasn't

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:35:51 »

First thing would be never take him at his word. If he says a player is out, don't be surprised to see him starting! He plays fast and loose with the truth a lot.

But otherwise not many complaints from me. Football was mostly very good and attacking, recruitment was also mostly good (although he did sign a lot of injury prone players). He did a lot for the community as well and he really helped build some bridges with the supporters and the club in the way he'd go out and be active with the squad. This really shouldn't be taken for granted as the animosity between the fans and the ckub itself has been very high for the past few years.

I was a Wellens fan. Disappointed with the way he left but I suppose it makes more sense now we know what we know. He turned down Blackpool to stay here so can't fully question his loyalty. I was expecting him to join Donny the minute he left Salford so not at all surprised. Not sure how he'll do in League One but it seems a good fit.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:39:53 »

Confirmed with Noel Hunt as Assistant
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:42:39 »

From here and watching only on ifollow

The Defence looked really poor
Midfield looked totally lightweight
Second rate forwards
And a string of goalkeepers that were simply not good enough.  

Remember we were moving up a league that is supposed to be better quality than the 4th

We simply didnt stand a chance

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: