Poll
Question: Who was the worst performer in a Town shirt this season?
Matej Kovar (21 apps) - 39 (43.8%)
Jonathan Grounds (33 apps) - 3 (3.4%)
Mathieu Baudry (17 apps) - 2 (2.2%)
Joel Grant (22 apps) - 1 (1.1%)
Taylor Curran (14 apps) - 39 (43.8%)
Jordan Stevens (16 apps) - 1 (1.1%)
Christopher Missilou (11 apps) - 0 (0%)
Matty Palmer (26 apps) - 0 (0%)
Anthony Grant (37 apps) - 1 (1.1%)
Tom Broadbent (19 apps) - 1 (1.1%)
Dom Thompson (25 apps) - 2 (2.2%)
Paul Caddis (28 apps) - 0 (0%)
Rob Hunt (23 apps) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 85

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Unplayer of the Season Award  (Read 11030 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 19:07:58 »

Kovar. Quite what prompted Wellens, a lot of people's idea of a new saviour, to give him so many chances I will never fathom. Cost us at least the extra six points we needed to survive
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 20:07:13 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 19:27:00 »

Curran, a centre back that can’t get off the ground or head a ball is laughable. Lost every one of the 11 league games he participated in other than Rochdale at home where he came on as a 90th minute sub. That’s as dismal a record as you can get!

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 01:23:31 »

Kovar is an interesting one.
No doubt he wasn’t up to the task but he got no help from our defence. I wonder if Kovar would have looked any better with a competent defence in front of him? You also have to take into context that this was his first foray into professional football.

I mean Lee Camp did alright for us but even with him on goal and playing well I’m not sure our form was much better.

Baudry was shit when he played and was injured a lot. Definitely a waste of wage but probably too often injured to our worst player.

Grounds, who by all accounts had, had a solid career at Championship level was a complete liability.
Caddis wasn’t much better either.

Oooh, were all of those Wellens signings?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 01:24:47 »

Fuck me, Grounds only has three votes. Jesus.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 05:31:24 »

I'm  surprised at the turn around in this poll since I last looked. Kovar was way ahead when I last looked, but now Curran seems to have surged. I think that's because the alleged financing of his place doesn't sit well with any of us rather than the fact that he was the worst player. There is no doubt that he is Conference standard at best, but then none of the players listed covered themselves in glory.

Our defence has been awful all year. But Kovar and Fryer (who I assume didn't make the list because he didn't play enough) just weren't up to the job. Someone posted earlier that they can only remember seeing Kovar make one save. Put that into context with Curran. I saw him do some good things as well as not jump, get caught out of position, make rash tackles, shank the ball into the stands, panic in possession. Don't get me wrong, he deserves his place on this list and he also deserves to be up there, but, to my way of thinking, he doesn't top the 'unplayer' list.

P.S. Player of the year should go to Missilou's hair extensions - It turned him into a player for 45 minutes.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:14:01 »

Whoever gets picked on in this poll, Sheridan must take some responsibility for their seemingly inability to perform. Likewise, those who did OK under the same circumstances must, by default, be better than that.

I presume most players need a structure, some organisational instructions, some tactical input from the manager to perform even adequately. All lacking from Sheridactyl.

Undoubtedly, some are just poor but none have escaped unscathed from the non-managerial reign of the Sheridactyl
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:38:57 »

I am more annoyed with players like Caddis Grant Pitman(first half) and a few others than the likes of Kovar and Curran. They are just shit and should not be anywhere near football, the others set a poor example with their fitness under wellens and set the tone for the season
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:52:23 »

Any winning Unplayer would have to acknowledge Sheridan's key contribution at any Awards ceremony.

For me, many on that list had injury concerns or weren't at the required level to start with.

The player who most impressed me and then, on seeing the low standards tolerated, took advantage and immediately turned to shit, was Dom Thompson.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:57:09 »

I voted Grounds - if you analyse the goals conceded I suspect his errors contributed to more goals conceded than Kovar’s.
I have some sympathy for Kovar as he was playing behind a dreadful defence.

Not picking on your post but surely a young keeper worth his sold should relish playing behind a dodgy defence?

My memory ain't what it used to be but didn't a young Tim Flowers turn up behind a dodgy STFC defence and perform wonders?
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 06:58:16 »

Not sure why Kovar would be any better with a decent defence.   At the start of the season every time someone got through one on one, or shot low, or at the near post they scored.   That wouldn't change with a decent defence, and would probably make them nervous and edgy and shitter than they otherwise would be.

He should have been an outfield player, wasted in goal.

Agree that senior pros need to take a look at themselves.   We didn't get relegated because of Curran.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:13:36 »

Ah good. It's open season.
A team of hyperactive 5 year olds would have had a better collective attention span than this lot.

Voted for Kovar, the hologram.
Some of the better performances were in the first part of the season.
Having a competent keeper might have seen a few more points scraped together.
Will be interesting to see where the next foray out of the PL U23 cocoon takes him.

To make every squad, at least Curran showed a remarkable level of robust fitness when compared to some of his colleagues.

A mention in dispatches for Dom Thompson.
One decent performance in 25 was nowhere near good enough.
He just needs to take a much calmer approach.
Always seemed like a whirlwind of arms and legs just to control the ball.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:26:09 »

We can only pick one  Wink
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:27:35 »

I'm tempted by a follow up "Underachiever of the season" or "Biggest gap between reputation and reality".

As it is, people are going for "just unmitigatedly useless" ahead of "should have been so much better"
normy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:37:13 »

Kovar for me, I blame him more than anyone for vital points being lost.

ust be the oldest
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 08:43:28 »

Whilst I don't think anyone would argue that Kovar was terrible, I just had to give it to Curran. My reasoning is, igoring the conjecture about him getting a contract because of the financial input from his father, his overall effort to me was completely negligible. For someone in his position, you want 100% effort, you want an all out blood and guts performance. I think he was so far away from that it just wasn't funny. He wouldn't compete for headers, he would jog back into position, ball watch as if there were a flock of seagulls trying to steal his sandwiches, and when he was culpable for goals would just shrug his shoulders as if he'd missed the tube at Canary Wharf Station, knowing another would be along in 1 minute. Zero professional pride.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: