Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking back to the 2010/11 season...  (Read 3660 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 24, 2021, 17:57:37 »

I was think back today over the relegation seasons of years past (this is the seventh in my lifetime, I think, averaging one every four and a half seasons) and particularly the parallels to the 2010/11 season, which I think is the 'worst' relegation of my Town supporting times. Not quite sure if this one passes it yet but it might be close.

• Both seasons came after a successful year (the playoff final run in 2009/10 / League Two Champions)
  • Both seasons saw key players leave in the summer (Greer & Paynter / Doyle, Benda & Yates)
  • Both seasons saw two more key players leave in January (Austin & Morrison / DJ & M Smith)
  • Both saw the incumbent manager depart, albeit Wellens went a lot earlier (Wilson / Wellens)
  • Both saw a disastrous firefighter appointment who made things worse and went before the end of the season (Hart / Sheridan)
  • Both had a current member of staff fill the gap for the last few games of the season (Bodin / Wright)
  • Both saw squads with a lot of previously highly rated players having shocking years (Cuthbert, Douglas / Grant, Hunt)
  • Both squads included Paul Caddis (!)
  • You could probably draw a maybe slightly harsh comparison between big name experienced signings nowhere near good enough (Prutton / Pitman)
  • In 2010/11 we ended the season with 41 points. This year's rabble need one point from two games to equal that

Of course, that season we managed to finish rock bottom even though Plymouth had a ten point deduction - at least the finances of other clubs have saved us from that ignominy. Plenty differed too - back then we had probably the best boardroom situation we've had in the last 30 years and it still went horribly wrong.

Anyway - a point of hope - over the summer we appointed a new manager who turned the club around and we ended up winning League Two the next year. Fingers firmly fucking crossed.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 24, 2021, 18:36:19 »

The main difference between the gap between previous finishes. L1 play off final Vs L2 Champions is almost a division apart.

Going from 4th (or was it 5th?) on L1 to bottom of L1 is a much bigger drop than 1st in L2 to 23rd in L1 - I mean it’s technically a higher finish!

I still rank selling Greer as our 3rd worst decision to sell in our entire history. Behind only Fjortoft and Ritchie. I’m still salty about it. Established Premier League Brighton got a hell of lot more out of that sale than probably going bust Swindon Town did, 250k ffs.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 24, 2021, 19:32:51 »

That Greer decision was fucking bizarre
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 24, 2021, 20:08:13 »

That Greer decision was fucking bizarre

He had a year left on his contract.

We should have offered him a new deal. If he doesn’t sign it - then he clearly wants to leave so the club have little choice and he becomes the bad guy in all of this because he wanted to leave and his actions proved that.

If he doesn’t want to go he’s signed a new contract and is still here.

Either way club have done their bit.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 24, 2021, 21:18:54 »

In keeping with the recent speculation concerning STFC alumni, perhaps PdC will make a return after all.

Nothing to see here
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 07:43:55 »

Don't for one second think it should be PDC specifically. But that kind of galvanising name appointment feels like it's necessary to turn this ship around for sure.

Ownership first mind.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 07:48:44 »

Both seasons featured a January win on sky sports where we thought our fortunes would turn round - Charlton / Ipswich
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 08:44:26 »

Twines goal at Ipswich, beating Oxford by some miracle and the double over the Gas.

I think that's it for me.

Maybe when Sheridactyl actually went?

The only highlights.

It's been torture.

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 08:52:16 »

we had a few good results, Ipswich. Charlton. Hull. Pompey

They just got lost in a sea of shite.

Jesus, what a shit year in almost every way
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 09:34:52 »

The Twine goal at Ipswich was up there with the best Town goals I have seen, a few half decent performances like away at Lincoln, away at Ipswich, Home to Burton and Fleetwood away is about it.

Not good performances but good results with the win at the Pox and the double over the terrible Rovers side, beating a poor Pompey side at home.

Sheridan should have gone after the MK home game which is up there with the worst performances I have seen from a Town side, until yesterday.

MK home and away, Dons away (and home to a point), Rochdale away, Accrington home, Crewe away, Shrewsbury home, Argyle home and away, Blackpool away are all games that are up there for terrible gutless performances under all our managers.

For me though making MK Dongs look like Man City puts yesterdays performance in the bottom 5 in my 46 years of watching Swindon, down there with getting thrashed at Newcastle and Villa in the Prem, getting beat at home by numerous non league teams such as Dagenham, Woking, Stevenage, the loss at Bolton when Stuart Mac cried, they are all in the worst 10 but this must rank up there with the very worst.

Power, Wellens, Sheridan, Wright, Jewell and ALL of the players must face the criticism as none are blameless for effort and utter gutless performances.

We were hamgstrug by Wellens signing 2 non league quality keepers for the 1st half of the season and also Wellens signing players with a known injury history which backfired.

The panic buys last season of Hope and Palmer and then this season with Fryer, Kovar, Joel Grant and Grounds.

The panic buys this season for Sheridan of Omotoye (who?), Masterson (remember him?) and Missilou.

The poor handling of Broadbent and Tyler Smith, the sending back of J Smith, M Smith, the selling of Freeman and DJ on deadline day, the giving Curran a 3 year contract.

The FA charge against Power/Barry/Standing the continual trying of Power to put the club into admin.

Utterly miss managed from the start of the season to the end, I am glad this season is over and we can sign some fresh faces who actuallly want to play for the new manager when one is eventually appointed whoever that is and in whichever league are in.

Swindon till I die.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 09:59:00 »

Masterson looked good, just got a season ending injury.

The Charlton/Ipswich games on Sky is a great parallel. It's always the hope that gets you!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 14:52:58 »

The Twine goal at Ipswich was up there with the best Town goals I have seen, a few half decent performances like away at Lincoln, away at Ipswich, Home to Burton and Fleetwood away is about it.

Not good performances but good results with the win at the Pox and the double over the terrible Rovers side, beating a poor Pompey side at home.

Sheridan should have gone after the MK home game which is up there with the worst performances I have seen from a Town side, until yesterday.

MK home and away, Dons away (and home to a point), Rochdale away, Accrington home, Crewe away, Shrewsbury home, Argyle home and away, Blackpool away are all games that are up there for terrible gutless performances under all our managers.

For me though making MK Dongs look like Man City puts yesterdays performance in the bottom 5 in my 46 years of watching Swindon, down there with getting thrashed at Newcastle and Villa in the Prem, getting beat at home by numerous non league teams such as Dagenham, Woking, Stevenage, the loss at Bolton when Stuart Mac cried, they are all in the worst 10 but this must rank up there with the very worst.

Power, Wellens, Sheridan, Wright, Jewell and ALL of the players must face the criticism as none are blameless for effort and utter gutless performances.

We were hamgstrug by Wellens signing 2 non league quality keepers for the 1st half of the season and also Wellens signing players with a known injury history which backfired.

The panic buys last season of Hope and Palmer and then this season with Fryer, Kovar, Joel Grant and Grounds.

The panic buys this season for Sheridan of Omotoye (who?), Masterson (remember him?) and Missilou.

The poor handling of Broadbent and Tyler Smith, the sending back of J Smith, M Smith, the selling of Freeman and DJ on deadline day, the giving Curran a 3 year contract.

The FA charge against Power/Barry/Standing the continual trying of Power to put the club into admin.

Utterly miss managed from the start of the season to the end, I am glad this season is over and we can sign some fresh faces who actuallly want to play for the new manager when one is eventually appointed whoever that is and in whichever league are in.

Swindon till I die.
Fcuk!  Is it THREE years?  No one gets a 3 year contract at STFC.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 16:05:40 »

Fcuk!  Is it THREE years?  No one gets a 3 year contract at STFC.
There's a lot to do for any new owner (understatement of the year) but one of the first things I want to see is the termination of that fucking contract.
Joke of a player, joke of a situation.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: