Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Pompey pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 22303 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #270 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 18:56:57 »

Without a doubt. Smith up front chasing people down and scoring goals, a bit like (but not really in the same class) a certain Jerry Yates.

A similar point to that I made earlier.

Weird how they have never really played as a front 2 together, Tyler is all over the place playing both channels and he is linking up well with the Hitman, a similar role to what Yates played with Doyle last season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 18:58:16 »

Indeed.

Blame sits squarley with Power - should have fucked him off in Jan/Feb

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:00:12 »

Why not?  Smiley

Town 3-2 Pompey

The dream is still alive  Cheesy

Not too shabby  Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:00:24 »

Well, that looked like a team that had essentially been sent out to do their own thing.  We looked very similar to how we started the season - a threat but open as hell at the back.  If we had played this way all season we'd still have shipped a load of goals, we'd still have lost more than we won, but we'd have given a few teams better games got more points.

Thompson looked much closer to the first game he played for us - he wanted to get forward in the first half, he knuckled down to defend when he saw that was what we needed in the second.

Garrick actually looked like a right back today - if someone can work on his positioning and give him same games in that position, I think I may re-assess his future prospects.  He is not good enough to play in an advanced role, but his pace and focus on tackling and tracking could earn something there.

Grant and Grounds looked like an odd couple at times, did not look that assured defending, but Grant always seems composed with the ball.  He allows more attacks to build.

Palmer and Missilou were energetic, I'll give them that.  You'd want two better players if you could find them, but they harried.

Twine - he can't play out wide if we play only two central midfielders.  He's going to influence a game near their box and play in spurts, but you can't have him worrying about defending.  Same for Payne.

Brett did a decent job, good finish for the first goal.  if only he had some legs.

Smith my MotM for me.  Yes he is raw, yes he miss controls 50% of the balls and yes he sometimes runs up blind alleys.  BUT, he worries the defence all game, he makes good runs if only someone can play him in and he is going to get three or four chances a game.  He doesn't need to be Gary Lineker to score then, he'll be able to fuck up three knowing another one will come off.

Overall it looked like a poor to average L1 team that had the shackles removed.  Great result, just exposes the shit we've been served.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:08:21 »

Wimbledon losing...

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:09:45 »

If Sheridan had gone sooner we'd not be in this position. I'm certain of that. Great result. Another win next match and who knows eh?!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:11:02 »

Wright:
- Get dignity
- Bit of luck
- Couple of good saves from Camp
- Credit to the players. They stood up
- Two up front looked dangerous even against Wimbledon where we defended poorly
- Kept Smith on because he could turn people. Pitman wasn't happy
- Maybe Smith should have played more, but he has had injuries
- Told players not to lie down
- Hasn't always been down do effort. Lots of mistakes. Six goalkeeprs (he's missed 2 hasn't he?)
- Players down when Sheridan left. Today was a bit of pride in their performance
- Tough game as they are a good side
- When a manager leaves you should look in the mirror. Maybe it was the kick up the bum they needed
- Sheridan was getting all of the criticism. Wright wanted a response from players and got it
- Rest tomorrow and will go on thursday and friday to prepare
- We have to believe we can win. We seemed to do that today
- Mildenhall's role hasnt changed much
- Peacock (Wright doesnt know him well) but he has come up as there is noone else
- Peacock suggest different things? He spoke to the strikers a bit as he wa astriker
- When Sheridan left, Wright knew what he was going to do vs Pompey as Wright had watched t hem
- Pitch looked bumpy and lively tonight
- Hope everyone enjoyed tonight as we have had some bad Tuesdays and Saturdays
- Practiced zone marking yesterday
- Garrick did well on Saturday and today, but noone else available at RB due to injuries.
- Baudry could be involved for next game. Hasnt trained much but is getting there.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:13:59 »

Hartely:
- Garrick wouldn't have expected to play RB when came here as a wide right striker
- Initially played striker but now seems to be RB
- Had hard job in first half and needed a bit of encouragement and help. Second half he was excellent.
- They overloaded Garrick in second half but he was still able to cope. Deserved the credit from manager
- Thompson exposed on occasion but covered well a couple of times too. Expected him to be an attacking FB, but defended well today, blocking off areas
- Missilou with Payne and Palmer tried to blunt Pompey attack as much as possible

adje

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:15:55 »

"players down when Sheridan left" 😳

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:17:40 »

Down the pub!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:18:52 »

Pitman:
- Always nice when you win and when you score
- Doesnt really matter it was an old club
- Really, really enjoyed time at Pompey.
- Nothing bad to say about Pompey
- Played alright. Scoring first goal helps
- Knew we wouldnt have the ball much. Thought we were a threat on the counter
- Extra striker, it helped
- Close to working against Wimbledon too
- Bit more obvious to the eye that it worked tonight.
- If he misses 3 in a row he will give up penalties
- Wright shouted from the bench for Pitman to take it
- Releaved to score
- Football is football. People come and go. Not for Pitman to say. All he could say is that he had a good relationship with Sheridan. But people come and go
- Whether the manager goes or stays then everyone needs to look in the mirror. We havent been good enough all season. Everyone has to take responsibility as a club
- Said in training and tonight that we want to finish as best we can. Showing a bit of pride, even if we go down.

SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:20:24 »

Wimbledon losing...

Never mind.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:21:38 »

It’s 1-1 now and piss stains down to 10 piss stains
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:21:48 »

I can't work out if there's an element of professionalism in the players not throwing Sheridan under the bus, or if it's really just protecting someone and enbaling them to do the same again.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 19:25:14 »

2-1 to wimbledon
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: