Poll
Question: Following Clem Morfuni's letter "to clarify his position in relation to the club", do you:
Trust what he says and believe he is the man to turn the club around - 8 (8.7%)
Give him the benefit of the doubt (nothing can be worse than LP) - 50 (54.3%)
Sit on the fence for now and see what happens next - 26 (28.3%)
Feel suspicious of his motives and how he has conducted himself so far - 7 (7.6%)
Think he is on the make and should be avoided at all costs - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do you trust Clem Morfuni?  (Read 24645 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 08:40:10 »

GW Reds are well intentioned.  Its just the don't represent the entire fanbase.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 08:41:55 »

Was he asked whether he’d change his mind if we were in L2 next season with a points deduction?
Yes he was and the answer was very clear, what league we are in doesn't matter in terms of his desire to want to buy the club..
Flashheart

« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 08:43:44 »

GW Reds are well intentioned.  Its just the don't represent the entire fanbase.

Which is not a problem in itself.

It's when they go acting as though they do speak for all of us that gets under some peoples' skin.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 08:45:22 »

At the moment I have no reason to trust or distrust Clem. He says what every supporter wants to hear and it's a great tick list. For me the thing I took was that he is still committed to his intention to buy the club even in the current climate.

As someone who already owns 15% of a club currently under investigation for breach of FA rules over funding/ownership, I would have liked to hear to some commentary around that (within boundaries of what he is legally allowed to say of course).
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 08:49:22 »

At the moment I have no reason to trust or distrust Clem. He says what every supporter wants to hear and it's a great tick list. For me the thing I took was that he is still committed to his intention to buy the club even in the current climate.

As someone who already owns 15% of a club currently under investigation for breach of FA rules over funding/ownership, I would have liked to hear to some commentary around that (within boundaries of what he is legally allowed to say of course).
You have hit the nail on the head there, unfortunately its tough for him to comment publicly about this given the legal status and fact a lot of this is confidential. He shares what he is allowed to though. There will be follow ups from him as and when he can comment further
Flashheart

« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 08:50:09 »

I'll treat him in the same way I treat all owners - reserve judgement either way until evidence surfaces.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:01:14 »

Sustainability has to be a good thing.  However, can the club be sustainable and harbour desires to reach, and then survive in, div 2?

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:02:25 »

I'll treat him in the same way I treat all owners - reserve judgement either way until evidence surfaces.
Absolutely this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:06:10 »

Sustainability has to be a good thing.  However, can the club be sustainable and harbour desires to reach, and then survive in, div 2?

Well this is where all previous owners have shafted us. Being sustainable on pure football income, no chance. But expanding revenue streams through ground development, then it would seem more likely. However none of them have done anything to move the club forward in this regard.
Panda Paws

« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:07:58 »

Sustainability has to be a good thing.  However, can the club be sustainable and harbour desires to reach, and then survive in, div 2?

Ask Plymouth fans - their chairman is running it as a sustainable business (after some initial capital) and has a long-term plan to reach the second tier.

He's an extraordinarily smart man who runs the club like a business - hiring great people into important roles and measuring success in much more intelligent ways than 3 points on a Saturday. He did a pod with Mark Chapman on the Athletic a few weeks back. Worth a listen.

Well this is where all previous owners have shafted us. Being sustainable on pure football income, no chance. But expanding revenue streams through ground development, then it would seem more likely. However none of them have done anything to move the club forward in this regard.

And this is key. The club is 30 years behind the times when it comes to commercial revenue generation. Run the whole business like an scaling SME and you can grow these clubs.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:12:29 »

Certainly says the right things.

They always do...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/24778775
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:17:56 »

I trust the Trust.  The fact that Clem is talking to it is a good sign.  He has a longstanding involvement with the club.

History tells us to be wary and there is no reason to change.  

I would like to see more financials explored.  In particular ideas or plans even for revenue generation for the club on the playing, training and ground development fronts.  It is too early for now.

We will always have to rely on hope to some extent.  I think Sir Seton was honourable and wealthy but (I may be wrong) he was perhaps born into wealth and business.  LP of course has impressive entrepreneurial skills.  He's a spiv but I think that's a side you need to have on board to work in English football.  Trouble is, LP crosses lines and when the chickens come home to roost, it's STFC not LP picking up the tab.

Clem, like LP and unlike Sir Seton, seems self made.  He has however built up a legitimate, credible business empire and may be able to bring the kind of competence that we saw under Andrew Black.  He'd need a football savvy team he can trust.  A rarity  Smiley.

At the end of the day, as fans, we have to accept that we have zero control over who buys us. Again though, we are lucky to have the Trust.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:19:30 by RedRag » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:22:19 »

I wasn't around as much when the previous incumbents took on the club, but the amount of work others in the Trust have put in to try and ascertain the credibility of all interested parties is vast.

Morfuni can't do more than he's doing right now, publically anyway.

I understand that there have been years of false dawns and shysters. That's impossible to overlook. But at the same time, I don't recall any interested party committing to some of the things Morfuni has committed to if he can purchase the club.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:24:28 »

Good work from the Trust just to get some fucking dialogue going. The silence from our great owners during this time is deafening. Last time we heard from Power was basically when DJ was sold and how perilous our financial state was in February. Fair play to the Trust for pushing for comment from Power and Anderson, I trust (see what I did there!) that there will be no let up in this.

As others have said Clem is talking a good game, but is he just saying what people want to hear? Difficult to know until the wheels have actually been put into motion but getting involved with the Trust at such an early stage and stating he wants fans on the board is a big step forward in my eyes. I think getting 'involved' with the GWR, whilst naieve is not particularly damaging as they too want the best for the club. As we are scientists penned it was 'an honest mistake' which I'm sure he will learn from. There is a balance between being open and honest and he has to get that right.

Given what's happening on the field I think what the Trust are doing should be applauded. Being an STFC fan is not easy at the best of times and particularly now, emotions are lower than a snakes belly. Everyone now accepts change has to happen, lets hope this is the beginning of a new chapter. I would just warn Clem about saying 'I want this club to be in the Championship in 5 years' like a certain Bermondsey scrap merchant salesman!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:27:09 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2021, 09:30:11 »

What other football clubs has he sponsored?? And what’s the evidence with his axis group that correlates with openness to the fans??

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: