Poll
Question: Following Clem Morfuni's letter "to clarify his position in relation to the club", do you:
Trust what he says and believe he is the man to turn the club around - 8 (8.7%)
Give him the benefit of the doubt (nothing can be worse than LP) - 50 (54.3%)
Sit on the fence for now and see what happens next - 26 (28.3%)
Feel suspicious of his motives and how he has conducted himself so far - 7 (7.6%)
Think he is on the make and should be avoided at all costs - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do you trust Clem Morfuni?  (Read 24891 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #60 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 23:35:45 »

We’re 23rd in League One, 2nd manager in 6 months about to walk, owned by Del Boy Trotter with plenty of people chasing him through the courts, games running out and the squad has zero confidence and this thread has turned into shall we leave the County Ground or redevelop 😂😂😂 Can’t beat the giggles on this forum

Which has what to do with whether or not people trust Clem Morfuni (which was the original question).

Irony much?

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 08:21:58 »

Fucking hell. Do people on here not have conversations in real life? Things move and flow.

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:01:31 »

I'd like the club to stay where it is too. The only issue I can see with any potential redevelopment of the ground is the Stratton bank which has always had the problem of the houses behind it.
The site is large, located well and has the new community pitches adjacent. See no reason to relocate.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:06:20 »

I am not a fan of stadia stuck out on the edge of towns and cities.

I don't live in Swindon but have no problem with the location of the county ground.  It's unlikely that a capacity of more than, say, 20,000 will be required and I assume that this can be accommodated on the current site.

Nothing to see here
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:11:37 »

The issue with people wanting to redevelop is that they want space to include a hotel and a supermarket and all that sort of shit so money can be made outside of just the football club.  Hence sticking it on a big bit of ground outside of town.

Not sure that is possible on the current footprint.

Never knowingly overstated.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:18:05 »

The issue with people wanting to redevelop is that they want space to include a hotel and a supermarket and all that sort of shit so money can be made outside of just the football club.  Hence sticking it on a big bit of ground outside of town.

Not sure that is possible on the current footprint.

I'm not sure there would be any suitable size land anymore as all of the sites I mentioned 20+ years ago have all been developed unless you litereally go a few miles outside swindon

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:20:28 »

I am not a fan of stadia stuck out on the edge of towns and cities.

I don't live in Swindon but have no problem with the location of the county ground.  It's unlikely that a capacity of more than, say, 20,000 will be required and I assume that this can be accommodated on the current site.
This is a bit of an odd one for me. I've been to a few stadia in the US and it is pretty awesome to be able to just get to them easily, park up and walk in (or be shuttle-bused in). But sport, on the whole, is a bit of a different experience in the US.

The converse is that whenever I go to Ikea in Bristol, I always feel sad that Eastville is no longer there. I keep trying to remember back to watching both football and speedway there. Unbelievable in a way that there is no sign of its past.

I also remember going to Smallmead on a NYD (or was it Boxing Day?) many years ago (1980s) with some friends. We all had 'very bad tummies' after excesses the previous day. I don't think I've ever seen such a disgusting set of public toilets (but I probably have). The state made me try to hold on, although I remember a braver mate (who couldn't) asking me to guard the door (which was off its hinges) for him!

Not sure what the point of my post was other than reminiscing. There are pros and cons with everything. There are concerns whenever a property developer shows interest in a football club. There are also concerns at Swindon given past history of wide boys (who seemed legit, but weren't) trying to take over - In hindsight, was Bill Power good or bad? As they used to say on Hammy Hamster, 'Now that is a different story'.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:24:51 »

Good point about the Eastville stadium as even now if I drive down the M32 I can't  help but look over and down to where the stadium used to be and expect to see the pitch, speedway track and the curved stands behind the goals.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:43:13 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:40:37 »

I like away days when you spend a bit of time in town and stroll over the ground for the match.  Getting shipped in and out of a trading estate has less appeal. 

I acknowledge that there may be good reasons for moving large stadia out of town.  However, I think it's important to keep clubs in the community and upgrade where possible.

Nothing to see here
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:55:23 »

For the seasoned, (dare I say ‘old skool’) home and away footy fan, the CG is in the perfect location - heart of a community, accessible by public transport, close to facilities that support local businesses. And great views of he town and surrounding countryside to boot.

Give me the CG, Brisbane Rd, Loftus Rd etc over Franchise, Scunthorpe, Colchester et al any day of the week.

The only way I’d support a move to a new ground would be if it was part of a ‘sports village’ type of development that puts sport, health and well-being at the heart of a residential community.

As for Morfuni, he’s started by writing the right things, which means I’m looking forward to the possible next steps but without getting too expectant.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:57:53 »

Which has what to do with whether or not people trust Clem Morfuni (which was the original question).

Irony much?

I don’t think my amusement was accurately portrayed in my response.

I get the link, just makes me laugh where the convo has gone.

For the record, I’m all for redeveloping the County Ground. It’s the perfect place to restore the club to being the heartbeat of the community. So much potential sat right there to be unlocked with the right strategy. Move the club to the outskirts of Town and it’s out of sight, out of mind.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 10:07:33 »

Returning to the initial poster's question, is there consensus on what "make Swindon great again" means? 

If that's return to being a competitive div 3 team, that shouldn't take too much effort.

If that means, compete in div 2, that is a different kettle of fish.

Nothing to see here
That Nestor Lorenzo Heade

« Reply #72 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 10:56:17 »

Returning to the initial poster's question, is there consensus on what "make Swindon great again" means?  

If that's return to being a competitive div 3 team, that shouldn't take too much effort.

If that means, compete in div 2, that is a different kettle of fish.

Good question.  I reckon long-term success looks like becoming an established championship club, with an infrastructure,  ground, fanbase and playing budget that enables this.

In the short-term it's all about survival of course, but the delivery of the 11-point plan in Clem's letter would be a useful foundation for achieving something more ambitious...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 11:17:57 »

I think most people would be happy just to have a stable club once again. There’s been a cloud over Power’s tenure ever since he rode into town - rumours and conspiracy theories abounded.

If the CG sale goes ahead with the Trust and whoever, I can’t see a relocation of the ground being feasible. It’s a fantastically well appointed stadium - from a fan’s perspective - and long may it remain there.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 11:22:23 »

I agree it's a fantastic location and I wouldn't want it elsewhere but with the known problem regarding the Stratton bank roof/blocking daylight to the houses I would explore again if there is anyway of turning the stadium around 90 degrees and maybe trying to relocate the cricket ground which won't be easy because of the heritage protection of the pavilion

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: