Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Back to school  (Read 1122 times)
Hunk

« on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 10:50:26 »

Did anybody here have children who went back last week. If so, how did it go?

From my perspective as a teacher it was better than I expected. Main issue was the complex drop off/pick up situation. Had a few parents try their luck by going to the wrong places to make things quicker for them and the odd moan about being asked to wear face coverings when on site but less than expected. I think most parents appreciate that it’s tough for us too and we aren’t trying to make things more difficult for them
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:11:40 by Hunk » Logged
Crackity Jones

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:10:12 »

Kind of.  My son has been in primary school all of this lockdown as me and my wife both work in healthcare. Up until last week he was in a class of 6. Now he is back in a class of 24. His school are really well organised with different drop off and pick up times/points,  zoned outside play areas etc. One thing that is apparent is the kids are drilled into the social distancing to the extent that they have become quite territorial and possessive. It's taking some adjustment to get into school routine.

I know the school head has found  the last months really difficult and she has been desperate to have all the children back.  It was lovely to see her with a huge smile on her face Monday morning at drop off.

I really hope that this time we keep control of the pandemic and we can keep the schools open.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:13:39 »

My brother works in one of the town's secondary schools(not a teacher) and said it was awful this week for him. I also cycled past a primary school and it looked like a normal day for the kids in the playground. Rona gonna rise again me thinks. All the good work will be undone yet again to a point.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:16:05 by Arriba » Logged
Hunk

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:18:17 »

Kind of.  My son has been in primary school all of this lockdown as me and my wife both work in healthcare. Up until last week he was in a class of 6. Now he is back in a class of 24. His school are really well organised with different drop off and pick up times/points,  zoned outside play areas etc. One thing that is apparent is the kids are drilled into the social distancing to the extent that they have become quite territorial and possessive. It's taking some adjustment to get into school routine.

I know the school head has found  the last months really difficult and she has been desperate to have all the children back.  It was lovely to see her with a huge smile on her face Monday morning at drop off.

I really hope that this time we keep control of the pandemic and we can keep the schools open.

I was a bit worried about how those who have been coming in since January would adapt to being back in full class, but they’ve been great. Took me aback initially having a class of 30+ rather than the 9-12 that has been standard since Jan, was a bit daunting, but that didn’t last long.

I very much doubt we’ll be seeing another school closure. Bubbles will be at risk if there’s an outbreak of course, but I don’t envisage anything more than that.
Hunk

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:20:49 »

My brother works in one of the town's secondary schools(not a teacher) and said it was awful this week for him. I also cycled past a primary school and it looked like a normal day for the kids in the playground. Rona gonna rise again me thinks. All the good work will be undone yet again to a point.

I think cases rising again is pretty much a given. But more lateral flows being available and vaccinations motoring should stop any more closures. No need if people are isolating and people that do catch it aren’t being hospitalised. That’s the hope, anyway!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:29:47 »

As a parent (Abbey park and c6) the whole thing went fine. Staggered enough starts (in time) at Avery Park. C6 is a college so obviously different timetables.

Teacher wife (primary) says it went fine. There was an issue one day with drop off. Parents complained about staggered times when they had multiple children in different years (fair enough) so they tried separation at same time.

This went a bit wrong on day 1 but was sorted pretty quickly.
china red

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:29:50 »

7 year old daughter back in this week, which is great for here as she’s stuck at home with two parents working otherwise.  She also has less work at school as the Asian wife at least tripled what there school gave her daily!
Crackity Jones

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:32:52 »

My son's school are encouraging households to do lateral flow tests. I ordered online and they arrived next day.  While they aren't 100% accurate; it's another means to limit spread.

With everyone back in class, hopefully teachers lives become easier. I cant begin to imagine how hard it must be to juggle delivery of a mix of on-site and remote learning and ensure all the kids are included and progressing.

I am sure we will see a rise in infection rate but hopefully with the vaccine in place that won't translate to increased hospitalizations and deaths.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:40:17 »

yeah, 3 tests in school then the onus is on home testing.

As parents you are entitled to offer some for yourself as well

can't do the throat bit without dry gagging
Hunk

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 11:57:12 »

7 year old daughter back in this week, which is great for here as she’s stuck at home with two parents working otherwise.  She also has less work at school as the Asian wife at least tripled what there school gave her daily!

I’ve never taught a Chinese student who didn’t have a stellar work ethic.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 14:06:25 »

Our DNA has gone back to RWBA with no probs. Mrs. Quoted an email saying how many tests they have done and what % of students that equates to but nothing on positive results. On a side note I notice in the national press that the infection rate is slightly up but both the Mrs and myself think this could be due to all the extra school tests.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 15:31:28 »

From a teacher perspective, it seems to have gone very well. Few issues with masks still but nowhere near as bad as it was pre-Christmas.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: