Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Premium Bonds  (Read 4626 times)
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 17:54:01 »

I have to keep my assets liquid (long story), at the mo' my premium bonds are performing well and in the words of the great Ruud Gullit they are "netto"
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 18:03:43 »

I stick to real estate. 

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 19:52:20 »

Whilst BTC is a good SOV (Store of Value) for now it is absolutely terrible as a real world use case. It's incredibly slow and expensive to pay and settle with. Awful. SOV is all it has but the banks will not be interested in using it as they adapt their own strategies. Mostly in how to move money quicker, in places that struggle with cross transfers. Often in some of the more poor places in the world. Essentially helping to bank the unbanked.

There are much better digital assets available that have several use cases. Ones that can both pay and settle transactions in a few seconds, at a fraction of a penny (around 0.000001p). There is one that is currently being used by many banks. It's why several businesses and banks can offer not only FPI but also settle that payment too. This has been one of the most difficult things for the antiquated banking system in regards to SWIFT messaging system. It's still too slow on the "settlement" side. This doesn't apply so much if you are within the same banking group or country but even SEPA payments can take a while to settle.

We live in a faster world now and the traditional banking system is still behind. They are working towards it but the future isn't with SWIFT. The GBP and USD are continually being devalued, thanks to things like increased quantitative easing. You £1 or $1 simply is just not worth as much and it will continue to reduce in value.

Imagine if there was an asset that can solve that problem? Can work with any currency and solve all the issues for the unbanked and cross border settlement? Well there is, but it isn't BTC or ETH.

ETH is also pretty slow, unless you pay the astronomical "gas" fees to transact quicker which is then counter productive because if I'm buying a coffee I not only don't want to have to wait for 30+ confirmations before it settles but I also don't want to have to pay high fees to process it. BTC is worse. It can take days sometimes to settle. My coffee will be very cold and don't even think about attempting to pay with it during a bull run. It simply is not practical as a useable asset.

If we want to talk about using future digital assets (or crypto if you must) as normal as we do with FIAT today then those assets are not for that. Stability is key (and I'm not talking "stable coins") and there are some assets that have relative stability compared to the likes of BTC and ETH and/or many other assets that get purposely manipulated or shilled to the max.

If you want something that has a future within integrating the banking system to a new and more modern level; that is inclusive for all and not just for the greedy "maxis" then I'd be looking at a digital asset called XRP. Along with Spark Token (FLR), which will also bring even more use case possibilities.

I won't tell anyone that they should invest or speculate on this or that outright because i'm not being qualified to give that advice but there are also some people that are qualified to give advice who know very little about digital assets (or crypto), or even emerging markets. Which I always find odd and often their main answer is to dismiss it altogether. Maybe really it's a curve ball and they are hoping people don't get in before them Wink

The only downside to anything Samdy said (I'm aware of your job btw Smiley ), was regarding keeping hold of your cash. As I said above, the GBP is devaluing year on year. It isn't really something you want to just hold completely on its own. That'd be throwing value away.

As an aside, I've held XRP since around 2015. NFTs (Non Fungible Tokens) are another way and "fun" to get involved with. NFTs are essentially items or collectibles that are often loaded with value within. Say artwork, concert tickets, photography and so on. There's more to them than that but NFTs could have a use case in future for marketing strategies via bands as they may look to take back a little control of how their works are distributed.

Don't believe the scaremongers who say it's all for drug dealers (sorry Flammable, this isn't for you), the darkweb or other mucky undertones. In fact, the beauty of XRP is that everything is fully traceable. Plus anyone can work on the XRPL (XRP Ledger). I have known a great guy called Wietse for several years now and he initially created the XRP Tipbot, a fun way to move money via social media (I've mentioned having something similar on here before to replace the "like"/"cunt" function), he now runs XRP Labs with two other guys in an office in Amsterdam. All his work goes into building on the XRP Ledger to make integration even easier for say your Nan or anyone who doesn't digital assets or "crypto". He's an incredibly approachable guy.

Anyway, I've gone full Bamboo (not talking in the third person really) but I hope it offers some counter balance to Drummer Boy, who whilst is partly correct in BTC being a new SOV, it isn't the future in terms of usability. Without being patronising to you FDB, I'd ease off on the BTC maxi forums for a while as it seems they've got you sucked into the blinkered BTC culture of "BTC is the only one and everything else is trash" (I know you mentioned ETH but same foe in some respects).

Also, fully respect what Samdy has to say too. Good evening chaps (and chapettes, if there actually are any left on here).

Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 19:58:23 »

The moral of the story is don't seek financial or investment advice from a loosely football based forum.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 20:02:28 »

The moral of the story is don't seek financial or investment advice from a loosely football based forum.

Possibly but then if that's the line of thought then you can apply the same to seeking legal advice Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 20:05:54 »

Possibly but then if that's the line of thought then you can apply the same to seeking legal advice Smiley

True. I would not purport to give legal advice. Any posts are for general interest only. 

Nothing to see here
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 20:25:42 »

Poor JQ just wanted to know whether Premium Bonds are any good, now look what we've done to his thread.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 20:29:26 »

Whilst BTC is a good SOV (Store of Value) for now it is absolutely terrible as a real world use case. It's incredibly slow and expensive to pay and settle with. Awful. SOV is all it has but the banks will not be interested in using it as they adapt their own strategies. Mostly in how to move money quicker, in places that struggle with cross transfers. Often in some of the more poor places in the world. Essentially helping to bank the unbanked.

There are much better digital assets available that have several use cases. Ones that can both pay and settle transactions in a few seconds, at a fraction of a penny (around 0.000001p). There is one that is currently being used by many banks. It's why several businesses and banks can offer not only FPI but also settle that payment too. This has been one of the most difficult things for the antiquated banking system in regards to SWIFT messaging system. It's still too slow on the "settlement" side. This doesn't apply so much if you are within the same banking group or country but even SEPA payments can take a while to settle.

We live in a faster world now and the traditional banking system is still behind. They are working towards it but the future isn't with SWIFT. The GBP and USD are continually being devalued, thanks to things like increased quantitative easing. You £1 or $1 simply is just not worth as much and it will continue to reduce in value.

Imagine if there was an asset that can solve that problem? Can work with any currency and solve all the issues for the unbanked and cross border settlement? Well there is, but it isn't BTC or ETH.

ETH is also pretty slow, unless you pay the astronomical "gas" fees to transact quicker which is then counter productive because if I'm buying a coffee I not only don't want to have to wait for 30+ confirmations before it settles but I also don't want to have to pay high fees to process it. BTC is worse. It can take days sometimes to settle. My coffee will be very cold and don't even think about attempting to pay with it during a bull run. It simply is not practical as a useable asset.

If we want to talk about using future digital assets (or crypto if you must) as normal as we do with FIAT today then those assets are not for that. Stability is key (and I'm not talking "stable coins") and there are some assets that have relative stability compared to the likes of BTC and ETH and/or many other assets that get purposely manipulated or shilled to the max.

If you want something that has a future within integrating the banking system to a new and more modern level; that is inclusive for all and not just for the greedy "maxis" then I'd be looking at a digital asset called XRP. Along with Spark Token (FLR), which will also bring even more use case possibilities.

I won't tell anyone that they should invest or speculate on this or that outright because i'm not being qualified to give that advice but there are also some people that are qualified to give advice who know very little about digital assets (or crypto), or even emerging markets. Which I always find odd and often their main answer is to dismiss it altogether. Maybe really it's a curve ball and they are hoping people don't get in before them Wink

The only downside to anything Samdy said (I'm aware of your job btw Smiley ), was regarding keeping hold of your cash. As I said above, the GBP is devaluing year on year. It isn't really something you want to just hold completely on its own. That'd be throwing value away.

As an aside, I've held XRP since around 2015. NFTs (Non Fungible Tokens) are another way and "fun" to get involved with. NFTs are essentially items or collectibles that are often loaded with value within. Say artwork, concert tickets, photography and so on. There's more to them than that but NFTs could have a use case in future for marketing strategies via bands as they may look to take back a little control of how their works are distributed.

Don't believe the scaremongers who say it's all for drug dealers (sorry Flammable, this isn't for you), the darkweb or other mucky undertones. In fact, the beauty of XRP is that everything is fully traceable. Plus anyone can work on the XRPL (XRP Ledger). I have known a great guy called Wietse for several years now and he initially created the XRP Tipbot, a fun way to move money via social media (I've mentioned having something similar on here before to replace the "like"/"cunt" function), he now runs XRP Labs with two other guys in an office in Amsterdam. All his work goes into building on the XRP Ledger to make integration even easier for say your Nan or anyone who doesn't digital assets or "crypto". He's an incredibly approachable guy.

Anyway, I've gone full Bamboo (not talking in the third person really) but I hope it offers some counter balance to Drummer Boy, who whilst is partly correct in BTC being a new SOV, it isn't the future in terms of usability. Without being patronising to you FDB, I'd ease off on the BTC maxi forums for a while as it seems they've got you sucked into the blinkered BTC culture of "BTC is the only one and everything else is trash" (I know you mentioned ETH but same foe in some respects).

Also, fully respect what Samdy has to say too. Good evening chaps (and chapettes, if there actually are any left on here).

Pint

Whilst I may have come across as BTC maximalist in my responses, I am not. I hold current investments in ETH and LINK assets too and fully expect evolution. Will BTC hit $100 billion? Who actually knows.

I completely agree with you that BTC's real-world use is not more than store of value. It was the beginning of Blockchain technology, the start and at this point in time represents the lion share of the total capital locked up in the crypto market. But that's all BTC ever needs to be - a true store of value for other assets like real estate, fiat currencies, stocks, to be pegged against.

I would not be mentioning XRP to anyone considering that Ripple (the company behind the asset) is currently being investigated by SEC for fraudulent activity, and since the news broke tanked off the edge of a cliff. I, personally, don't really believe in it that's just one opinion in a bucket of thousands.

If Bitcoin went to zero, crypto would be dead IMO. I do completely agree that we're yet to see that killer app in crypto, like what email and www. did for the internet. It's only a matter of time but I do believe and morally hope for my libertarian views that BTC is the foundation for the future. I think ETH will survive with its innovation in smart contracts but with the hundreds of other crypto assets on the market, easily 95% of those projects will fail. Which ones actually make it is like betting on horses but it's a financial revolution happening right under your nose.

The banks and world governments will need to react at some point. It's just a matter of when and what price point that BTC will reach to make that happen IMO. My key message out of all of this conversation and debate, go investigate and research for yourself because in my opinion, it's the biggest financial revolution the world has ever seen is happening as we speak and will have a far-reaching impact in our society that thee industrial revolution and the internet revolution. It might be Bitcoin, it might be one that hasn't even been created yet but there is a reason why Governments and Banks hate Bitcoin and it's because it's threatening their power status and ability to devalue the money in your pocket.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 20:30:03 »

Poor JQ just wanted to know whether Premium Bonds are any good, now look what we've done to his thread.

Hopefully it's helped hahaha

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 20:54:55 »

Hopefully it's helped hahaha

It certainly got detailed😀

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 21:56:00 »

I put a fair amount in premium bonds 4 months ago and have had a return of 0.25% so far. I intend to put more in. I'm risk averse. I'm more interested in keeping what I've got than gambling when I don't know enough about what I'd be gambling on.
You don't lose your capital but if you don't win anything you're worse off because of inflation.
Premium bonds work for me. I also intend to set up a stocks and shares ISA next month but a simple boring tracker, again lowish risk.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 21:59:05 »

I put a fair amount in premium bonds 4 months ago and have had a return of 0.25% so far. I intend to put more in. I'm risk averse. I'm more interested in keeping what I've got than gambling when I don't know enough about what I'd be gambling on.
You don't lose your capital but if you don't win anything you're worse off because of inflation.
Premium bonds work for me. I also intend to set up a stocks and shares ISA next month but a simple boring tracker, again lowish risk.

Cheers Chalkie.
I do have other investments and a private pension so was considering putting around 10k into premium bonds as there is literally nothing on the high street to give that amount even 1% since Santander cut their rates.

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 21:59:36 »

Good luck Chalkie.

Basically, If FDB and I aren't buying the Town together in 10yrs then we've failed  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 22:36:32 »

I put some money into a company called Alpine Solutions on trading 212 over Christmas - was up 150% at one point but now in the red

Still haven’t recouped my litecoin and ethereum losses from the 2017 bubble

Things get better but they never get good
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 22:39:12 »

Good luck Chalkie.

Basically, If FDB and I aren't buying the Town together in 10yrs then we've failed  Pint

Absofuckinglutely. Fan’s ownership becomes a reality and bagsies the Chairman role! New stadium, proper youth investment and Premier League in due course.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: