Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For Nemo: Nailed on 3 points- let’s keep positive. Sunderland v STFC  (Read 19037 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:00:32 »

Fuck. Not too upset about that though. I’d never have said this a month ago, but we were a L1 team tonight. Under the cosh at times, but centre defence very good, good shape, players doing their jobs. That was more reassuring than shaky wins like Crewe or Wigan. I begin to think we might be ok.
This. We could have grabbed a point or even more on a different day, we had chances, I just wish we changed the tactics before they scored as we looked better in the last 20 mins or so.

Swindon MoM for me was Broadbent. Looked assured and strong.
Ditto.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:01:33 »

We made a fist of it by all accounts
No, no we didn't.

We set up to defend all night, with no real intent on trying to score. The first half was attack versus defence. We had 2 shots from free kicks by Twine other than that, we defended and hoofed the ball away.

The second half continued in the same way. Just prior to the goal, a couple of gaps appeared in the defence for the first time in the game. Broadbent was unlucky to tangle with their midfielder to give away a freekick. Perfect delivery and they were 1-0 up. After that we made changes and tried. We unbelievably had about 5 (half) chances.

Twine's made several defence splitting passes, but it wasn't to be. Twine hitting the cross bar and Grounds blasting the rebound wide summed up our day.

Sunderland were poor and we could and should have beaten them. But, if you set up to draw 0-0 or nick a goal on the off chance, then you will more than often come unstuck.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:03:38 »

Was not expecting to come away with much tonight but once again showed that there is enough about us to get out from this not very good situation. Take a point on Saturday as Accrington are like so many sides in this division all a much of a muchness.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:03:46 »

Not bad at all. Not much in it and thought a draw would have been a fair result. Broadbent for MOM - sterling performance tonight.

The amount of misplaced passes is a worry again. 61% pass completion is piss poor and compounded by hit and hope long balls that don't have a chance of making it.

On another note, it was interesting at half time catching an interview with Marcus Cassidy. Sounds like a new drainage system is needed in the summer!

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:05:25 »

Strangely happy. Stuck to our tasks. Accrington have one win in seven and played 75 mins tonight with 10 men so who knows what that will have taken out of them. On recent evidence there's no reason we can't get something from that game before we play Oxford a week today.

Hopefully we go there with a bit more intent as you do wonder what would have happened if we'd have had more of a go tonight. Defence is unquestionably the weakest area of Sunderland's side.

Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:13:14 »

Agree that we should have looked to take them on more. When we got on the front foot they looked panicky, last ten to fifteen minutes looked like we might nick a draw when going for it. Still a decent effort though with Broadbent and Conroy excellent.
As has been said , not much expected from this 'free hit' . Hope that gives us a bit of confidence to get something Saturday which is very doable, and follow that doing a hilarious double over the scum.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:14:36 »

On another note, it was interesting at half time catching an interview with Marcus Cassidy. Sounds like a new drainage system is needed in the summer!

I caught that on my way back from London. Made me smile when he said the budget was there. Thing is, will Power be there to release it?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:17:05 »

Sheridan:
- Good display
- Came to a big club, but competed well
- Lots of endeavour
- Could have kept ball better in the first half
- Didnt want to give cheap freekicks away as they had good delivery
- They had a couple of chances when we were chasing the game
- Disappointed
- Got a bit of a system and work ethic. Lots of honesty about us
- Didnt keep ball long enough in the first half but better in the second
- Keeper hasnt had much to do
- Poor goal to give away
- Twine wonderstrike at the end. Shame we didnt come away with anything
- When Twine gets in and around the area he's good. But its his all round play too.
- Ball to Hope was a lovely pass and best chance of the game
- Team performance was spirited
- Going to be tight until the end of the season
- Would have been a great point if we'd got it, but just fell sort
- Trueman has good pedigree. Only joined up with us yesterday. Did what he had to do well. Looked comfortable
- Does Trueman have to play on Saturday? Sheridan unsure of the rules. But will make sure we do the right thing. We have to have a fit keeper to compete with Matthews
- Just want players to know the importance of wanting to stay in the division. Players are showing they want to
- Need to keep the standard of performance up
- Its hard for the players playing Sat/Tues. Will think about whats best between now and Saturday
- Lyden, J Grant, T Smith and Odimayo will be fit
- Hunt did well after leaving Caddis out
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:26:25 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:19:19 »

they were a decent outfit and we made it hard for them to create and get at us. at the end of the day a loss is a loss but there are ways too lose to a good side and we could have had a well deserved point. last 12 fixtures they are 2nd in league form table.

defence looking more comfortable last few matches and i dont think anyone has really mentioned the goal keeper, considering that was his debut its a big complement. good at crosses, very assured.

If you watch the game back and they substitute Sunderland for a semi competent League Two team playing away at a plucky non-league team in the FA Cup on a shoddy pitch, you'll probably see that game in a better light.

Two pretty dire teams on a dire pitch serving up dire entertainment.

you quoted the pitch a few times but I couldn't see anything wrong with it? for all of sunderlands possession almost all of it was played on the floor at pace.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:23:44 »

Trueman 7
Good debut. Did everything right in the first half. Only one dodgy moment when he let their striker close him down and his clearance was deflected. Apart from that, he looked confident, well organised, kicked fairly well and made at least one good save. Also, a lucky save when he sat on the ball! Impressed with him

Grounds 6
He did well as he was targeted in the first half and on the whole withstood the barrage. Couple of misplaced clearances and snatched at a last second chance to score. Gave the ball away too much in first half.

Broadbent 8
Really good performance. Won everything in the air (apart from their goal) and snuffed out their attack. Probably the best game he has played for us (apart from upfront against Oxford)

Conroy 7
Covered well. Spraying the ball resulted in losing it most of the time. But covered Hunt well.

Hunt 6.5
Good defensive display. Nothing going forward

Thompson 6
Defended well. Offered nothing much going forward. Gave ball away a lot.

Palmer 6
Harried and ran around. Kept giving the ball away

Payne 6.5
Energetic defensive performance. Couple of surges forward, but set up to be defensive

Twine 8.5
Solid defending. Pressed across the line. Two chances in the first half, where he created free kick opportunities for himself. Slide rule pass for Hope in the second for our best chance. Then hit the crossbar with a wonder strike in the last seconds of the game. Has to have been the best player on the pitch in Feb and March so far.

Pitman 5
No service at all. Made no impression tonight

Garrick 5
Tried, but was well marshalled. Ended up giving freekicks away or playing the ball in to touch. Got a telling off for not following up on the far post when Twine had a run and cross goal shot.

Subs:
Omatoye 5
Didn’t touch the ball I don’t think

Hope 6
Two runs and put through for our best chance of the game.

Missilou 5
First contribution was a high boot. Always looks to be 5 yards too deep. Not sure he touched the ball

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:36:38 »

Garrick
- They celebrated so much as they were relieved to beat us
- We didnt create enough or final ball was missing
- Always a game around the corner to put things right
- Hate to be a goalkeeper facing Twine tonight
- Twine key to the way we want to play
- Everytime he got near the ball there were 3 people pressing
- Twine is the one who will find Garrick or be on the end of crosses (Think Pitman might argue that!!)
- Their defence trebled up on Garrick. They were solid defensively
- Played wing for most of his career. But happy to play up front if thats where the manager wants him
- Empty stadium: Today was a very big stadium

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:45:08 »

Hawes:
- Difficult to defend for 90 mins
- Trueman not at fault for goal
- Twine at centre of all good moments
- Twine must be played in the area behind the striker
- Played in Hope with a quality ball
- If you build a team around Twine, it may be a good thing to do
- Confusing about Wollacott and Trueman situation and if both are fit who plays on Saturday?
- Trueman made a couple of good saves and looked very steady
- Missilou arrived too late
- Omatoye was a bit peripheral when he came on. Need ball played to his feet. No opportunity to see his pace, which is his best asset
- Burton top of the mini-league. New squad, new manager. Looking likely to pull away
- Northampton good win against Plymouth. They have already played all of the bottom sides

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:49:08 »

Wright (pre game interview):
- Short term plan at the moment
- Long term need to see what the budget will be for L2 or L1 next year
- Lots of players out of contract at end of year. Are they good enough for L1?
- Will look at players and make assessments and have an A list and B list depending upon what it looks like will happen for next year
- This year we built a squad but couldn't keep all the players from last year. Loan players came in. Some did well and some didnt
- 6 goalkeepers. Hoped Kovar would be another Benda. But it didnt work
- Would have to improve the squad if we stay up

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 21:53:38 »

Cheers NMH.

A bit of a shame that the plan for the ‘free hit’ was to go for a 0-0, especially when Sunderland have dropped points at home to Gillingham, Plymouth, Wimbledon, Wigan and Burton.

The performance and point at Lincoln showed we can compete with the better sides and we all know there aren’t any outstanding teams in this division, so why the change for Sunderland? With games running out, we’re nearly at the stage where we need to win every other game to get to around 50 points. Surely the plan has to be to go for wins now rather than later?

At least my prediction of a drubbing was way off the mark and there were some competent-good individual performances.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 10:09:55 »

Cheers NMH.

A bit of a shame that the plan for the ‘free hit’ was to go for a 0-0, especially when Sunderland have dropped points at home to Gillingham, Plymouth, Wimbledon, Wigan and Burton.

The performance and point at Lincoln showed we can compete with the better sides and we all know there aren’t any outstanding teams in this division, so why the change for Sunderland? With games running out, we’re nearly at the stage where we need to win every other game to get to around 50 points. Surely the plan has to be to go for wins now rather than later?

At least my prediction of a drubbing was way off the mark and there were some competent-good individual performances.
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: