Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Country football  (Read 8699 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 09:40:32 »

The three lions is a notorious hard city pub full of nutters and used to run coaches to England away games

I presume that 'No Holden us back now' poster is no longer there?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 10:42:32 »

Scallywag football supporters to one side, I have always thought that Bristol is a great place to live/work in and may well move back at some point. 

100%. Great city. Always love a good day drinking outing in Bristol.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 14:31:29 »

My nephew lives near Ashton Gate. My mate was driving past Broadmead about 20 years ago one early evening waiting at traffic lights, when an almighty scrap bundled out of some place, tables and chairs flying and heading his way. He drove off pretty sharpish. My great aunt and uncle lived in St Werburghs for decades, as a kid when we visited them in the 70s I was surprised to see some local kids in the street outside the chippy with no shoes on  Eek
I saw a bloke wearing a town shirt in Warmley a few years back, we weren't playing in Brizzle that weekend either.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 14:54:34 »

There was a time that going to Bristol meant trouble whether you were going to the football or not. Numerous times I had altercations and/or bottles thrown at me. Never once started anything. Incidents just happened. Over the last twenty years it has become quite pleasant. I get bothered by beggars but that happens everywhere. Even sat in with City the last time we played there and apart from some Paddington Bear hard stares, got no bother at all. No trouble getting back to Temple Meads either. Probably helped that we got stuffed!

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:01:21 »

I presume that 'No Holden us back now' poster is no longer there?

They do one for every manager. The only one I've seen that wasn't really positive was for Steve Cotterill which was along the lines of 'win us over'. I think he succeeded.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:12:09 »

There was a time that going to Bristol meant trouble whether you were going to the football or not. Numerous times I had altercations and/or bottles thrown at me. Never once started anything. Incidents just happened. Over the last twenty years it has become quite pleasant. I get bothered by beggars but that happens everywhere. Even sat in with City the last time we played there and apart from some Paddington Bear hard stares, got no bother at all. No trouble getting back to Temple Meads either. Probably helped that we got stuffed!
The beer kellar was great fun back in the day.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:20:02 »

The beer kellar was great fun back in the day.
Especially with those bloody great big beer steins,  no lederhosen for me though.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 15:54:53 »

The 4-0 battering we gave em in 91 was "interesting". Mind you we didn't get out until 5.45pm Cheesy
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 17:10:53 »

The 4-0 battering we gave em in 91 was "interesting". Mind you we didn't get out until 5.45pm Cheesy

When we stopped them getting in the play offs in 87 that was really interesting😀

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 18:56:23 »

Nice to see the three lions in bedminster paying homage to swindons finest. They gave s banner saying making plans for Nigel, we're in XTC. Just on BBC news.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 19:31:24 »

Nice to see the three lions in bedminster paying homage to swindons finest. They gave s banner saying making plans for Nigel, we're in XTC. Just on BBC news.

I did see that 😀

So, give no fucks
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, February 22, 2021, 19:32:07 »

When we stopped them getting in the play offs in 87 that was really interesting😀

My mate went to that, he'd parked his car on the other side of Greville Smyth Park too 
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 15:14:52 »

My mate went to that, he'd parked his car on the other side of Greville Smyth Park too 

To say they were angry after the game would be an understatement and wouldn't have fancied going through Grenville Smyth park with a few thousand nutters on the warpath

So, give no fucks
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 16:07:07 »

Good question. Did see an article recently about the merit of a one club Bristol United FC for glory approach, but seems there's no appetite for it. It also mentioned the side effect of the competing traditional rugby support base within the west country. With the Bears and Chiefs in ascendancy, this has made an impact on football gates in recent years, I know that. Not been aware of a similar rugby following in Swindon, other than seeing the occasional Bath (or Gloucester) cap/shirt ?

Geography obviously plays a part too certainly in the deepest parts of the west country. Rather than move and uproot his family Tisdale used to commute daily from Biddestone, and did so for 12 years, and a car load of Bristol-based players would do the same. Always been a problem down there, recruiting players/managers, being out on a limb. Again, I wouldn't think that would be such a problem for Town, is it ?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 16:10:25 by Banker » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 16:39:51 »

Can't imagine Swindon being a problematic location although it feels like a few times in the past few years we've lost out on players due to them being too northern. It's pretty easy to get to Swindon from most places in the south, it's in a nice part of the world (minus perhaps the Town itself) and it's cheap to live there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: