Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is this the worst position the club has been in...  (Read 5888 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:02:53 »

We've been a lot worse.

But sadly I don't think this is the low point of this whole debacle.

Judge me in five years ? You were a cunt then and you are an even bigger cunt now.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:06:39 »

We’ve been worse. I remember looking out at the players warming up in the late 90s thinking, “who would want any of these players?” and deciding the only one was Gareth Davies (on the rare occasions he was fit). The others were Alan Young, a 40 year old Jimmy Quinn, Gareth Hall and co. Cliff Puffett had every best intention but no money, and the club was about to go under. As things stand, we’ll be in League Two next year. We have to hope that it is with a new owner, a plan, and a manager with ambition.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:10:59 »

It's hard to answer because none of us know where we really stand financially, or what the real reason behind the sale of DJ. Was it to keep the club afloat? Was it to line Power's pockets before he goes?

I just made the mistake of popping onto Twitter, amazing how many fans of other clubs take great delight in seeing our club in distress. Not all of them, but plenty. Cunts.
Flashheart

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:12:22 »

I remember sitting at my computer pressing F5 every 30 seconds or so to see if we'd gone out of business yet.

This is nothing like that. It's a kerfuffle that's holding up a potential sale leaving us lumbered with an owner who has apparently given up. Things could change for the worst, as can be said for most clubs at any time, but I feel little existential angst as things stand. I fear we may be relegated, but I don't think we're in immediate danger of going out of business.

It probably feels bad now because people are disappointed with the transfer business and current events are still fresh in the mind. But it's nowhere close IMO.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:24:14 »

Definitely one of the worse but we’ve had a fair share.
I think this one feels particularly bad as we appeared to be on a high and moving once again in a positive direction.
Then CRASH ....... it’s shit it really is.

Just need a new owner / new direction and at least we can hope.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:29:24 »

I remember sitting at my computer pressing F5 every 30 seconds or so to see if we'd gone out of business yet.

This is nothing like that. It's a kerfuffle that's holding up a potential sale leaving us lumbered with an owner who has apparently given up. Things could change for the worst, as can be said for most clubs at any time, but I feel little existential angst as things stand. I fear we may be relegated, but I don't think we're in immediate danger of going out of business.

It probably feels bad now because people are disappointed with the transfer business and current events are still fresh in the mind. But it's nowhere close IMO.

^ This, I remember those F5 days fondly....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:32:35 »

It's hard to answer because none of us know where we really stand financially, or what the real reason behind the sale of DJ. Was it to keep the club afloat? Was it to line Power's pockets before he goes?

I just made the mistake of popping onto Twitter, amazing how many fans of other clubs take great delight in seeing our club in distress. Not all of them, but plenty. Cunts.

I don't think its just us TBH, I know when Bolton were in the shite there was much gloating from other fans, I imagine if you have not been there before (We are old hands at it) you think it will never happen to you, Wigan fans learnt this the hard way after gloating at Bolton.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 09:36:09 »

Isn't it amazing that during a horrific global pandemic, with the CG mostly empty for almost a year now, barely a trickle of income into the club, multiple court cases relating to club ownership, question marks over the owner's activities, several of the starting XI leaving for a variety of reasons, our manager walking out because he thought we were shite, the new manager not exactly setting pulses racing, and us sitting in the relegation zone the season after having brilliantly won the title, there is healthy debate as to whether this is the worst situation for the club or not.

Personally I am hanging on to the prospect of another shot at the League 2 title. Every cloud.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 10:52:40 »

the end of the Wills/Diamandis era was pretty desperate too.

can't remember what we were like on the pitch though tbh
That would have been Malpas wouldn't it?

Sent from my CLT-L09

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 10:56:23 »

I see a socially distanced protest for tonight seems to be gathering a bit of momentum on Twitter.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 10:57:03 »

That would have been Malpas wouldn't it?

Sent from my CLT-L09

Malpas was under Fitton. Wills/Diamandis ended around 2006-7, with the Power/Emmel/Trust takeover efforts not getting much traction and the board ended up selling to Fitton & co. from memory.

I think BEST holdings were a brief, terrifying flirtation during that period too. https://thewashbag.com/2012/11/07/hall-of-shame-20/

We have had some absolute chancers at Town over the years...
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 11:04:57 »

The end of Rikki Hunt days into Cliff Puffett with a 40 year old up front, Gooden, Onoura, Ndah etc all sold and club in admin was worst. At the end of the Wills regime we were minutes from liquidation.

This is just par for the course in terms of events at STFC.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 11:09:48 »

The end of Rikki Hunt days into Cliff Puffett with a 40 year old up front, Gooden, Onoura, Ndah etc all sold and club in admin was worst. At the end of the Wills regime we were minutes from liquidation.

This is just par for the course in terms of events at STFC.

I think this was the darkest hour I remember as a Swindon fan, I think this was when I was stood in the away end at Brentford (1 nil loss?) seemingly hours away from the club closing it's doors for the last time - saved at the 11th hour, literally

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 11:10:46 »

I think this was the darkest hour I remember as a Swindon fan, I think this was when I was stood in the away end at Brentford (1 nil loss?) seemingly hours away from the club closing it's doors for the last time - saved at the 11th hour, literally

yeah, Brentford.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 11:12:13 »

I still remember the Brighton players acting like pricks waving money in our faces.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: