Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Court Case  (Read 33787 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:36:41 »

Nice to see Pompey fans have a bit of sympathy for us.

http://thepompeychimes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78995

Our beloved red neighbours down the M4 far less so.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/210808-trouble-up-the-m4/

There really are too many football fans that really do lack any sort of intelligence or decency aren't there?

I had a brief look at the City forum there, one fan just posting 'haha etc' and another saying he went to college with a load of mouthy STFC fans and that's some kind of justifiable reason for it being acceptable if we go bust.

I don't want any football club to go bust (Franchise I could probably make an exception), that's not really how it works. You win and lose on the pitch, not in a bankruptcy court.

The pompey fans show much more class (in general, I'm fully aware not ALL the City fans are degenerates and some come across well)
« Last Edit: Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:38:50 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #391 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:40:57 »

Absolutely BO.

TBH most Pompey fans I know are far more intelligent and empathetic about the situation anyway than fans of the 82ers.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:46:16 »

Don't think for a second they'd be as generous if the thread was about Southampton rather than us. It's just the rather tiresome rivalry stuff that some people take waaay too seriously.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:48:59 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:54:52 »

Don't think for a second they'd be as generous if the thread was about Southampton rather than us. It's just the rather tiresome rivalry stuff that some people take waaay too seriously.

I think a lot depends on whether you have experienced it or not, Pompey have been in the serious shit in recent years so possibly understand, how many City supporters who post on internet forums remember 1982.

Similarly up here a lot of Wigan supporters were absolute bastards about what was happening at Bolton, they are much less gobby now! 
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 17:42:16 »

Absolutely BO.

TBH most Pompey fans I know are far more intelligent and empathetic about the situation anyway than fans of the 82ers.

And to think I could have supported them from the 70’s.
Chris Kamara has a lot to answer for.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 18:55:48 »

And to think I could have supported them from the 70’s.
Chris Kamara has a lot to answer for.
Memories play funny tricks but, if I'm not mistaken, I recall Pompey fans making monkey noises at Kammy shortly after he'd signed for us.  That behaviour was not so uncommon in those days.  I was still shocked.  

Looking back, it's an appalling reason for my shock but I had presumed he'd be spared anything more than a gentle ribbing on account of his having been such a great player.  Although racism hasn't exactly left our sport, we have, thank God, come a hell of a long way.

[Edit: this may be the wrong thread, apologies]
« Last Edit: Monday, February 8, 2021, 19:02:33 by RedRag » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 21:17:37 »

Memories play funny tricks but, if I'm not mistaken, I recall Pompey fans making monkey noises at Kammy shortly after he'd signed for us.  That behaviour was not so uncommon in those days.  I was still shocked.  

Looking back, it's an appalling reason for my shock but I had presumed he'd be spared anything more than a gentle ribbing on account of his having been such a great player.  Although racism hasn't exactly left our sport, we have, thank God, come a hell of a long way.

[Edit: this may be the wrong thread, apologies]

I don't remember any racist chants only Pompey fans causing havoc in the Townend in the late 70's and 80's

So, give no fucks
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Monday, February 8, 2021, 22:27:30 »

I don't remember any racist chants only Pompey fans causing havoc in the Townend in the late 70's and 80's

I remember both. As a teenager, I was shit scared of those rough naval chaps, who on a couple of occasions invaded the pitch from the station bank end to take the town end. Although many look back at these times with fondness, it was actually quite scary at times. The racist chants were frequent at all grounds and Pompey fans were particularly vitriolic towards Kammy, who was a very exciting talent and I believe the first black player to play for us.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 09:58:53 »

Although racism hasn't exactly left our sport, we have, thank God, come a hell of a long way.

Not convinced we have come very far, albeit the conduit for football fans to be racist has changed somewhat.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 10:25:00 »

the world has got a long way to go.

The game Call Of Duty has a bug where everyone at the end of a game can hear everyone else. it's a free for all of racism and abuse, many are British.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 11:15:32 »

They may have booed him but (hopefully) that was only because he had played for them
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 11:16:46 »

Not convinced we have come very far, albeit the conduit for football fans to be racist has changed somewhat.
This (lengthy) article supports your point and concludes with a quite distinct "court case" that saw a racial abuser of Ian Wright escape criminal conviction.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/03/ian-wright-disappointed-after-racial-abuser-escapes-criminal-conviction
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: