Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reg Smeeton  (Read 47309 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 22:42:04 »

4D - I think it was 24.99mb  Smiley

WoT - Absolutely no problem at all. It was a pleasure to write and I hope it has done Reg and those who shared his love of steam engines just a little bit of justice  Embarrassed

Who knew that steam engines and football formations could have so much in common!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Saturday, June 5, 2021, 06:23:22 »

My last textual word on Reg here but a spoken word eulogy for Reg outside the Shrivenham Road stand today at 3 in the unlikely event of anyone fancy being there. https://sootallures.wixsite.com/topographersarms/post/requiem-for-reg-smeeton
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Monday, June 7, 2021, 15:22:31 »

My last textual word on Reg here but a spoken word eulogy for Reg outside the Shrivenham Road stand today at 3 in the unlikely event of anyone fancy being there. https://sootallures.wixsite.com/topographersarms/post/requiem-for-reg-smeeton

Hope it all went well and as planned WoT. The "Req for Reg" is a great read.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 10:25:00 »

Yep. Thanks. Showcased Swindon to some politicos who were interested in the General Strike and who had only ever driven around the town before. And made the CG dead on 3 o'clock for a Reg reading/eulogy. We'll do the Beehive sometime. Is the appalling Tory MP, Brendan Clarke-Smith, who has apparently likened taking the knee to the England team giving the Nazi salute in Berlin from round your way, Bamboonoclue?
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Sunday, June 20, 2021, 09:12:28 »

We've put together a list of football cliches in memory of Reg. The Reg Smeeton Memorial Lexicon Cup is at https://sootallures.wixsite.com/topographersarms/post/get-your-book-out-ref
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Monday, June 21, 2021, 16:50:19 »

Beehive pint
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Friday, June 25, 2021, 01:12:39 »

We've put together a list of football cliches in memory of Reg. The Reg Smeeton Memorial Lexicon Cup is at https://sootallures.wixsite.com/topographersarms/post/get-your-book-out-ref

Lovely stuff again WoT.

I'll be posting the piece I wrote end of May, in Reg's honour on here sometime tomorrow (Fri) afternoon. Feel free to also post it on "The Topographer's Arms" too if you like. Permission granted and all that Smiley

It really was a joy to write.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Friday, June 25, 2021, 07:38:31 »

That's grand, Bamboonoclue. Will do, with pleasure. Until we meet ...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Friday, June 25, 2021, 07:43:53 »

And yet nothing about an experienced right back.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Saturday, June 26, 2021, 12:21:39 »

I know Reg loved a statement Friday and yesterday was definitely that. We can all probably take a bit of a breather for a couple of days and get back to watching some footy.

With statement Friday and Reg in mind. I thought it only fitting to release the spoken word/eulogised piece I wrote for WoT and friends, which they performed outside the County Ground at the beginning of this month. Find it attached below Smiley

There's steam trains, football formations and even talk of a right back (yep, an experienced one) included. I know WoT and friends enjoyed/reflected/chuckled at my scribblings in memorandum to the encyclopaedic one. Here's hoping at least one of you on here does also.

If today were a matchday, we might be just about to set off "From the Beehive to Burslem". Enjoy and raise a glass for Reg Smeeton/Andy Beck  

Pint

* From the Beehive to Burslem.txt (1.51 KB - downloaded 89 times.)
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 26, 2021, 12:28:11 by bamboonoclue » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Saturday, June 26, 2021, 15:10:10 »

Well done, Baboonoclue. Excellent stuff to come to when just back from a bike ride. Something Reg and I did a fair bit, in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Wales and Ireland. Last night a Darlo/Barrow/Newcastle mate and I looked at some of Reg's old programmes. They go back to 1958 with the score recorded on the front in a child's careful script. We are donating most to care homes to support dementia projects, and 'Talking Football' ideas. We also have Reg's collection of fossils which my wife and I have put into a Belfast sink rock garden. Bound to bring us luck next season and beyond! We also have Reg's childhood collection of a few Victorian pennies - shall select one as a lucky penny and hope it brings us luck next season.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Saturday, June 26, 2021, 19:56:53 »

...Something Reg and I did a fair bit, in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Wales and Ireland. Last night a Darlo/Barrow/Newcastle mate and I looked at some of Reg's old programmes. They go back to 1958 with the score recorded on the front in a child's careful script. We are donating most...

...collection of fossils which my wife and I have put into a Belfast sink rock garden. Bound to bring us luck next season and beyond! We also have Reg's childhood collection of a few Victorian pennies - shall select one as a lucky penny and hope it brings us luck next season.

Glorious stuff. What a day for a bike ride too! Absolutely brilliant in regard to the footy programmes.

Big fan of fossils and paleontology in general. Great near me, amongst the Cretaceous chalk line with several fully preserved sponges amongst other marine fossils. I can't ever remember discussing any of this area with Reg (even briefly) - unless my mind escapes the conversation.

It's nice you have several mementos to give a physical reminder of Reg/Andy. I'm sure your wife and yourself have been blown away by the many contributions, anecdotes and tributes from total strangers over the last few months.

Here's to a hopefully fruitful season!

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: