Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reg Smeeton  (Read 47296 times)
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 15:30:31 »

I'll be visiting home on June 5th with friends from Stroud for a Swindon General Strike walk. We'll be calling in at the Beehive. I'm intending to read a couple of Reg eulogies outside the County Ground at 3pm. Shrivenham Road side. That's the plan. I imagine we'll be in the pub about one o'clock. We'll be about six in number from Stroud.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 15:44:34 »

I'll be visiting home on June 5th with friends from Stroud for a Swindon General Strike walk. We'll be calling in at the Beehive. I'm intending to read a couple of Reg eulogies outside the County Ground at 3pm. Shrivenham Road side. That's the plan. I imagine we'll be in the pub about one o'clock. We'll be about six in number from Stroud.

Re the Beehive. Best to check nearer the time, but doesn't look as if they'll be reopening until 21st June.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/120259540924/

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 16:57:00 »

Thanks for that WB. Will miss out the pub, alas.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Thursday, May 13, 2021, 18:20:22 »

Thanks for that WB. Will miss out the pub, alas.

Will have something ready for you by the agreed date, if not before. Coming along nicely.

Not sure if you checked/received the DM on here but there's a little more info there, from what I remember Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 10:09:46 »

Excellent. Looking forward to it, Bamboonoclue. Pardon my ignorance, what's the DM mean etc.? Apologies for my ignorance. It's a Reg thing, I suppose. I remember being on a bus with Reg near Marlborough and saying that a friend of mine was constantly complaining about the fact that I seemed to be stuck in the year 1797/8. Reg replied straightway, 'Dunno what he's moaning about. I'm stuck in the Neolithic, mate.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 10:13:33 »

It's a message, check your messages on this site
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 10:16:36 »

Excellent. Looking forward to it, Bamboonoclue. Pardon my ignorance, what's the DM mean etc.? Apologies for my ignorance. It's a Reg thing, I suppose. I remember being on a bus with Reg near Marlborough and saying that a friend of mine was constantly complaining about the fact that I seemed to be stuck in the year 1797/8. Reg replied straightway, 'Dunno what he's moaning about. I'm stuck in the Neolithic, mate.'

Sounds like you could make a pretty good surrogate Reg if you cared to stick around on here for a bit WoT.

What are your views on right backs and Burslem Port Vale?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 12:00:39 »

As an outside right in my youth, I was more bothered about left backs. But as regards right backs, my dad played for Swindon Buses in the 1930s and a team mate was Terry Wollen's dad. Terry's career alongside John Trollope cut short by a broken leg in the 1962-3 season. As regards Burslem, living in Stroud, the nearest football league team is Forest Green Rovers. A mere hamlet.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 14:56:21 »

As an outside right in my youth, I was more bothered about left backs. But as regards right backs, my dad played for Swindon Buses in the 1930s and a team mate was Terry Wollen's dad. Terry's career alongside John Trollope cut short by a broken leg in the 1962-3 season. As regards Burslem, living in Stroud, the nearest football league team is Forest Green Rovers. A mere hamlet.

Though Reg would have argued that Burslem was smaller. Against all available evidence.

I would however take issue with Wikipedia's claim that Nailsworth, at 5794 inhabitants, is "the smallest settlement ever to host an English Football League team". Who knows which club is currently located in a smaller parish?
« Last Edit: Friday, May 14, 2021, 15:02:13 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #294 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 15:16:02 »

Is it Port Vale?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 17:02:06 »

Is it Port Vale?

Crash  Suicide  Clap

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #296 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 17:38:44 »

Sorry Cheesy
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 11:56:58 »

Just a quick update for WoT:

The piece I have written is ready and have emailed you with the link to it Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 13:03:01 »

It's not more than 25mb is it Bambs?  Smiley
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 14:01:06 »

Thanks for the piece, Bamboonoclue. It's the General Strike/Reg Smeeton commemorative walk on Saturday. I imagine we'll be remembering Reg outside the Shrivenham Road stand at 3pm. Will share your piece, Bamboonoclue. But will be great to remember together up the Beehive, sometime. All the best, WoT.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: