Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reg Smeeton  (Read 47285 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 17:04:02 »

Bloody hell Wormhole. This made me well up...what a lovely idea to hold a memorial walk. "Reg" and I nearly arranged meeting for a hike (possibly followed by some cricket watching at Trent Bridge/Chesterfield) probably a two or three years ago.

We often talked about different walks. I think the Howardian Hills was the last area we spoke about albeit briefly. I'm not local to the area as you may have figured out but I would love to take part in the memorial walk - possibly virtually. I would have absolutely have loved to have gone on a little trek with Reg.

I'm sure others will be keenly interested too. It's quite amazing what an impact this guy had on many of us and as you say, only recently being discovered by the people even closer to him. I'm not crying.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 17:30:31 »

Thank you bamboonoclue. You've made me feel welcome straightaway. I'll be doing the General Strike walk on May 8th around the railway village and then along the old canal and the old railway line up to Old Town. My mate from Stroud who knew 'Reg' too will be there. I'm sure we can find a way to do it virtually through words and images - because I'll have to restrict numbers, of course. Looking forward to contributing something special for 'Reg'. With the walk, first. Then a Beehive eulogy event when circs allow.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 18:03:31 »

Only chatted to him in person a few times, mostly in the Beehive but did point him out once or twice to others at the Country Ground, I don't think one person believed me.

RIP Andy/Reg.

Did anyone ever find out how he'd come up with his forum moniker? He'd neve tell me when I asked.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 18:07:47 »

Did anyone ever find out how he'd come up with his forum moniker? He'd neve tell me when I asked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Henry_at_Rawlinson_End_(film)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 19:40:07 »

Wormhole's 'welcome' comment made me think - Sippo hasn't posted for a while. I know some here know him IRL. Is he ok?

(Sorry for thread hijacking, couldn't find the 'disappearing members; thread)

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 19:48:01 »

Wormhole's 'welcome' comment made me think - Sippo hasn't posted for a while. I know some here know him IRL. Is he ok?

(Sorry for thread hijacking, couldn't find the 'disappearing members; thread)

He hasnt posted on twitter for ages either
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 19:52:28 »

Maybe he's just enjoying being able to sit in a beer garden with a pint  Hmmm

Plus, is his work not connected with schools/education? Maybe it's all been a bit all go and so now the pubs have opened (seriously this time), he's using that as his unwind time, rather than the TEF?

Edit:

Also logged in last on March 22nd

Last comment was mid Feb.

It's Sutton I'm more worried about, don't think he's posted since before Crimbo  Sad
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 19:55:54 by bamboonoclue » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
normy

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 07:52:19 »

Only chatted to him in person a few times, mostly in the Beehive but did point him out once or twice to others at the Country Ground, I don't think one person believed me.

RIP Andy/Reg.

Probably too unlikely a coincidence, but I once worked with a guy about my age calles Reg Mitson, and I did wonder if there was a connection. Perhaps a friend or relative.

ust be the oldest
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 08:31:11 »

Hello there. I visited my old mate's house today to meet with the ex-partner of 'Reg' and only found out about this website then and the nom de plume of my old chum. Do people now know 'Reg's' identity? I collected a lot of 60s STFC programmes today from the house. It's been a sad time for me but great to discover how he was held in such esteem on this site. I have discussed with 'Reg's' ex-partner about holding a memorial walk for him. An idea she loves. That will be in May and will be to do with the 1926 General Strike in Swindon - detailed history 'Reg' found out from me shortly before his decline. I will liaise with 'Reg's' ex-partner about holding a performative remembrance do at the Beehive later in the year when circumstances allow. If anyone is interested in that, then please let me know. And let me know if 'Reg's' identity is still unknown. Best wishes from an STFC exile in Stroud.

Im up for a meet in the Beehive!

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 08:33:01 »

+1
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #250 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 09:08:24 »

Probably too unlikely a coincidence, but I once worked with a guy about my age calles Reg Mitson, and I did wonder if there was a connection. Perhaps a friend or relative.
See my link above, Reg Smeeton is a character in a film from 1980 called Sir Henry at Rawlinson End.

Reg Smeeton was the main character played by Ian McDiarmid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Henry_at_Rawlinson_End_(film)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 09:14:17 »

Im up for a meet in the Beehive!

Me too
Wormholes of Time

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:54:17 »

I see a two or three people are up for a Beehive 'Reg' eulogy event. I'll be on that after I have run the Reg Smeeton Memorial Swindon General Strike Walk. That's on May 8th. The Beehive event will be after the 17th May, sometime. I have written something that I have shared with 'Reg's' ex-partner and she thinks it lovely and fitting. I'll share that on-line at some point. If anyone wishes to book a place on the walk then please let me know. I think 3 of us are coming over from Stroud so there's space for another 3 on the walk. AND if anyone would like to leave any words on here that I can add to the eulogy so that there is a postscript for 'Reg' then that would be brilliant. Many thanks from Stroud.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Friday, April 23, 2021, 04:08:22 »

I've not really posted about Reg, but as it's 4.30am in the morning and drugs and booze have been partaken, I doubt there is a better time.

Apart from recognising his face more, I only knew reg the same as the rest of you. He was one of those guys I'd see around Old Town loads. You know how you get that with your seasoned local pub drinker? Once you've chatted once you see them about everywhere. I'd honestly like to tell havean amazing story about how I found out Reg's real first name was Andy or something, but I don't really have one. Think another local seasoned pub drinker I was chatting to knew him from the olden days in the somewhere (probably beehive - but I don't think he was averse to spreading his wings for a pint - I used to bump into him all over the place - our shared aquaintence was much of the same ilk). Shame I hadn't bothered to find out his last name, I'm sure I could have done at the time but "Reg" honestly seemed to like to keep that seperate, even having a conversation with a shared aquaintence who was calling him by his real name whilst I was calling him Reg. Either we were all too pissed or nobody seemed to care - to me he was reg, I knew him off here.

I'd end up seeing Reg around a fair bit, sometimes not for ages, and never often enough for it be weird if that makes sense? Often down the back of Old Town between Eastcott and Vic Hill. I think he lived up that killer hill up from the beehive, the one which takes you from the level of the beehive at the bottom to the level of the castle at the top at like a 45 degree angle, but normally see him around there, or Union Street, or Prospect, that tidy little zone which very much misses the Prince of Wales (Side note - don't think I ever saw Reg in the PoW, used to hang out with there with BBC Wilts Mark who did the footy show for a year or two, he was another top guy, and beehive drinker).

Honestly though our chats were normally pretty short, "how ya doing" "yeah ok You" sort of stuff. Now and again the stars would align and we'd bump into each other pissed in the Vic or somewhere and we'd chat for a bit. Fuck knows what about though, we were probably both pissed, if I'm honest I'd probably try and impress him with a random bit of STFC knowledge I'd recently found out. I can see if I'd done that in the last week or two:
 "HEY REG"
(I'd honestly just call him Reg even if others about were calling him Andy, seemed right, especially if i was pissed. Enough of you have shouted "FLAMMABLEBEN" at me across pubs before. Which I love btw, although a bit weird to explain to the lovely young or older subject of my attention)
"WHAT'S THE ONLY KEEPER TO SCORED FOR US"

To be honest at this point he would have known, not heard me, pretended not to here me, or have literally read the whole thread on here the same afternoon making the whole thing completely pointless.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, but he was a nice chap when I met him in real life, but I knew him through here the most.

Think the last time I saw him he was beardy and we stopped to exchange pleasantries, but I was on the way home from an unexpected stay at a lady friends, and really needed to get home for a shit. True Story.

Sorry if that's a bit rambly.  Bit drunk. Also sorry I think I turned off the spell checker so forgive any random letters.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Friday, April 23, 2021, 06:21:42 »

Word
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: