Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Not transfer rumours  (Read 5594 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 19:51:01 »

We don't have time to be nurturing other players though that is the problem. I said elsewhere he clearly has potentual and has showed that last season for Oldham but i can only judge him on this season and he has been poor

My point stands though, he will play in the Championship. In time. Whether developed further by STFC or elsewhere Smiley

On what basis do you see a Championship player? When he first joined from the Oldham highlights made him look exciting, the reality has been completely different. There’s only so many times a player can smash the ball into the first man or a shot into row Z under no pressure before you start wondering whether he has the brain or technical ability to even play at this level. He’s not our player so it’s not our job to spend time nurturing him hoping he comes good, we are almost halfway through the season so need loanees that will have an impact. It sounds like one of him or Tyler Smith needs to leave to make way for another striker on loan and I’d put Tyler Smith marginally ahead in terms of what he’s offered to date.

I think you're possibly clouding your judgement a little but it's an understandable assessment but basing purely on his time at Town in what has been a very unsettled season to date (not including covid).  I think you try to make him sound much worse than he really is. He isn't our player, you're correct but my leading statement was that I think he will become a regular Championship player. In time and whether that is via Town or elsewhere.

Why do I think he will? He has great movement off the ball, a good pass, can take on players with ease...we have seen glimpses of what he is capable of and yes of late he hasn't quite offered all of that but I would say that comes to factors already mentioned...being played out of position, an ever changing system and poor tactical strategy. That doesn't lie at the fault of the player unfortunately. I'm not for a minute suggesting he is some world class midfielder but I do thing you're being (for whatever reason) extra harsh on him than is warranted. Comparing him to James Brophy is a little bit too off in my opinion.

This also has nothing to do with his Dad posting (although we don't know RapidFlyer's favourite cheese yet Hmmm), my thoughts would be the same if the scenario were similar to now.

I think he'll be a regular for a Championship side. In time. You don't. That's cool but he's better than Brophy for sure Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 20:22:33 »

I wonder if there is any data on a player's prospects of having a career of any note (say 100+ games) at Championship or PL level if they haven't notched up an appearance at that level by the age of, say, 23.  Is the die cast by then and has a player already found their level in the football pyramid?

Nothing to see here
REDBUCK

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 20:29:54 »

Well Bristol City don't have a great record of playing their loanees once they return although one or two do get there.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 21:04:32 »

I wonder if there is any data on a player's prospects of having a career of any note (say 100+ games) at Championship or PL level if they haven't notched up an appearance at that level by the age of, say, 23.  Is the die cast by then and has a player already found their level in the football pyramid?

There's quite a few about JBZ...one of them won a PL title.

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 21:08:11 »

There's quite a few about JBZ...one of them won a PL title.

Many thanks for this. I get that.  STFC legend Aden Flint is an example. Not quite what I was asking though.

Nothing to see here
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 21:08:22 »

If he got a move to a Championship club would that make him the first player to play in all 3 football league divisions in the same season?
I'm sure some players did it before the rule was put in place...

Tony Cottee towards the end of his career managed to play in all 4 divisions during the same season and scoring in 3 divisions

Leicester (PL) and Barnet (L2) being the only 2 of the 4 teams I can remember without looking.

Remarkable stat

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 14, 2021, 22:44:55 »

Many thanks for this. I get that.  STFC legend Aden Flint is an example. Not quite what I was asking though.

I understood what you were asking. Jamie Vardy didn't play in the Championship until he was 25...so represents a good example with some relevant data to tell us it is of course possible.

I don't think we can truly make a data based judgement for this though, without the event having happened (some may call that hindsight). There surely would just be far too many variables/imponderables? Hmmm

But the answer to your question

'Is the die cast by then and has a player already found their level in the football pyramid?'

In simple terms, the answer would be no, not necessarily.

'Incessant Nonsense'

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 07:16:01 »

I instantly thought of Ian Wright, but he was signed by Palace a few weeks before he turned 22.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 08:54:44 »

Stuart Pearce was playing non league till he was 21.
Went straight up to the top division.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:02:49 »

Rickie Lambert was quite elderly before appearing in the top 2 divisions I seem to recall.

Nothing to see here
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:45:36 »

Ian Wright from non-league to Palace?

Edit: Doh, didn't read Jayo's post above, apologies.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 15, 2021, 10:57:25 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:59:50 »

RUMOURS RUMOURS

FUCKING RUMOURS
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 10:20:49 »

As most of the rumours derive from 'Al', what does he say?

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 10:40:11 »

You lot are taking the fuckling piss.

Sorry everybody else, I'm just too busy to clean it up right now.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 15, 2021, 12:21:21 »

RUMOURS RUMOURS

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: