Poll
Question: When do you think will STFC have new owners?
January - 1 (1.6%)
February - 3 (4.9%)
March - 4 (6.6%)
April - 2 (3.3%)
May - 3 (4.9%)
June - 4 (6.6%)
Somewhere between July & the end of time - 44 (72.1%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Ownership Poll  (Read 20526 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 16:17:00 »

I wouldnt trust the owner with his choice of who to sell to in all honesty.
Fair point, I keep getting into debates with people about fan ownership being the solution to everything. Has zero appeal to me to be honest as will still leave us as a jobbing bottom half of league 1 or league 2 team at best as again it’s just all about sustainable football. No golden bullet to kickstart our fortunes unfortunately.
That Nestor Lorenzo Heade

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 16:29:05 »

I wouldn’t say fan ownership is the solution to everything, but I do think it’s worthy of consideration - especially given lack of alternative options and Swindon’s track record of dodgy owners. I reckon the club has little or no “asset value” so would probably be a case of taking on the debts and running costs. How much would it cost to run Swindon with a competitive playing budget for three years?

Also (and forgive me for not knowing) but isn’t there a treasure chest of Sir Seton Wills money held in trust that might be available to ‘proper’ owners, such as a fan-elected board?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 16:31:40 »

I wouldn’t say fan ownership is the solution to everything, but I do think it’s worthy of consideration - especially given lack of alternative options and Swindon’s track record of dodgy owners. I reckon the club has little or no “asset value” so would probably be a case of taking on the debts and running costs. How much would it cost to run Swindon with a competitive playing budget for three years?

Also (and forgive me for not knowing) but isn’t there a treasure chest of Sir Seton Wills money held in trust that might be available to ‘proper’ owners, such as a fan-elected board?
No. Diamandis burned through all the Wills money
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 16:36:46 »

Tactics Tim with his gilet still stuffed full with the Luongo money

Looks like he could be joining his mate Les at QPR😁

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 16:45:03 »

The problem is that realistically there’s a lot of near term expenditure needed not least on the ground, it’s not going to be long before areas of the CG don’t pass safety certification. With fan ownership we are likely to need to take out loans, these will likely have sizeable interest rates attached due to our sketchy track record. These repayments will then need to be funded from the clubs normal income meaning even less money gets spent on the team and you have the potential death spiral scenario into non league as less spend on the pitch, could see a double whammy of income falling due to less fans attending and less fans maintaining membership of the club ownership vehicle. The likes of Pompey and Wrexham have abandoned the fan ownership model the moment an owner with some wealth came along which speaks volumes.
Don’t get me wrong I think there should be a member of say the Trust on the board in an oversight position but fan ownership doesn’t excite me.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:33:38 »

No. Diamandis burned through all the Wills money
I think your referring to the Nigel Eady money that has funded alot of the foundation work to date but he left a trust for STFC generally to be used but under the present owner I think they are not keen to.get involved until this is resolved.
That Nestor Lorenzo Heade

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:40:55 »

I think your referring to the Nigel Eady money that has funded alot of the foundation work to date but he left a trust for STFC generally to be used but under the present owner I think they are not keen to.get involved until this is resolved.

Sorry, yes that's what I was referring to.  RIP Nigel Eady.  Isn't one of the previous chairmen on the trustee board?  I'm sure they would look favourably on a fan-elected board, with a proper strategic plan.

I know I always bring up the Bath City FC example - yawn - yes I know it's a much smaller operation - but they have doubled attendances under fan ownership and even raised £50k in a kickstarter to fund the playoff campaign last season.  By comparison we have declining attendances and a generation of fans staying away from games (pre COVID obviously).
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:42:38 »

Sorry, yes that's what I was referring to.  RIP Nigel Eady.  Isn't one of the previous chairmen on the trustee board?  I'm sure they would look favourably on a fan-elected board, with a proper strategic plan.

I know I always bring up the Bath City FC example - yawn - yes I know it's a much smaller operation - but they have doubled attendances under fan ownership and even raised £50k in a kickstarter to fund the playoff campaign last season.  By comparison we have declining attendances and a generation of fans staying away from games (pre COVID obviously).
Wasn’t it spent on the FITC hub?
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:43:50 »

The problem is that realistically there’s a lot of near term expenditure needed not least on the ground, it’s not going to be long before areas of the CG don’t pass safety certification. With fan ownership we are likely to need to take out loans, these will likely have sizeable interest rates attached due to our sketchy track record. These repayments will then need to be funded from the clubs normal income meaning even less money gets spent on the team and you have the potential death spiral scenario into non league as less spend on the pitch, could see a double whammy of income falling due to less fans attending and less fans maintaining membership of the club ownership vehicle. The likes of Pompey and Wrexham have abandoned the fan ownership model the moment an owner with some wealth came along which speaks volumes.
Don’t get me wrong I think there should be a member of say the Trust on the board in an oversight position but fan ownership doesn’t excite me.

I think in all honestly the 2 clubs you refer were purchased as the benefactor was a ke to move these clubs forward from fan ownership , especially Pompey given Mr Disney being the benefactor.  

On the subject of fan ownership I think it's the way forward,  most people buying clubs these days are in it for non football reasons, I.e to make money from getting to premier league , or a branding tool for their own business (Sportsdirect) . Fan ownership would look to use all money to improve the club. On the topic of ongoing funds for operating costs, I think you will find most clubs that make a success of it involves a subscription funding approach so consistent money is coming in to pay the bills, plus in utilising the facilities for other reasons other than football more income can be generated for the club. You also have to be mindful that clubs pay large amounts of rent for their grounds I.e stfc pay 200k a year approx so if they own the ground that rental money doesnt need to be paid and can be used on maintenance and upkeep. Most clubs with a fan model of ownership dont need and dont have loans so that's not an issue. It's all about living within your means,  maximising revenue, selling the odd player for profit and investing everything into football not paying for your luxury lifestyle and living and personal expenses. It's the way you go especially at our level.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:45:00 »

Wasn’t it spent on the FITC hub?
No it wasnt !
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:51:32 »

No it wasnt !
Some of it definitely was!
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #26 on: Sunday, January 3, 2021, 17:55:57 »

Some of it definitely was!
Sorry wasnt clear, I did mean not all of it was spent on the foundation,  but they did release a 7 figure sum for sure.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 4, 2021, 11:33:56 »

Sadly £50k is frankly petty cash at the level we play at (and aspire to), whilst fan ownership sounds great what happens (as alluded to above) when suddenly the ground needs £100k spending on it or we are (like we are this season) wallowing in shit creek and need to sign a striker in January, where does the cash injections for such matters come from?

You also have to be mindful that clubs pay large amounts of rent for their grounds I.e stfc pay 200k a year approx so if they own the ground that rental money doesnt need to be paid and can be used on maintenance and upkeep.

Thing is without Power or AN Other you are looking at the Trust needing to raise £2.2m just to buy what is an increasingly decrepit ground, that's without any sort of redevelopment to improve facilities for supporters and provide the 7 days, 52 weeks income that clubs need to sweat such assets.

Fan ownership sounds great but unless we go into Admin (with the potential shit show that could lead to) the fans are firstly going to have to buy out Power (wasn't he wittering on about c.£7m) and with the ground its looking like a c£10m investment upfront just to maintain the status quo. 
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 4, 2021, 13:44:48 »

If I make c50m in the next 5yrs. I'll buy the club for 5m (Power can cut *his loses). I'll make a share offer in kind of 2.5m to Standing/Barry and 2.5m to AN Other, possibly the Eady's. I'll then initially revalue the club at 10m with a clean slate.

10m then on ground infrastructure and a further 10m on development.

I'd throw 500k at the catering twats and tell them to go (unless their contract has already expired)

15m would be available for player purchases and contracts.

3m would be available for a long term management appointment (upon a successful first year)

I'd have a discussion with Black, Arbib & Co about reinvesting in a new (but familiar) project whilst also agreeing to pay their debenture. No time for fannying about constantly passing the buck on that one.

Investor returns on any asset sales would be capped at 10% with the rest being exclusively put back into player purchases and contracts.

A final C2.5/3m would be used for use of my fuck off luxury jet, permitted to take off/land at Lyneham for any injury or treatments flown straight to Germany or Turkey.

Oh, a final final bag of 50ps (to the value of 10k) will be used to smack Jed and his merry team of convicts around the face. I'd also make sure "Big Petey" saw them right whilst in the clink too.

That's it we're saved and rid of the scum. It's just you have me in charge instead.

Oh forgot to mention, as an optional form of entry to the ground, for an extra 5 quid you can enter via flume which orbits the stadium giving the "rider" a clear view of the pitch on their approach to the concourse. Includes a free Dog Roll, Bürger, Pasty, Pie all developed in collaboration with Mark Stinchcombe.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 4, 2021, 15:26:13 »

Oh forgot to mention, as an optional form of entry to the ground, for an extra 5 quid you can enter via flume which orbits the stadium giving the "rider" a clear view of the pitch on their approach to the concourse. Includes a free Dog Roll, Bürger, Pasty, Pie all developed in collaboration with Mark Stinchcombe.
How big is the flume because if there is a free burger/hot dog i'm using that method, but it would need to be very big, and very strong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: