Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26815 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:10:48 »

Yup. Wellens' recruitment was poor and he left Sheridan with an unbalanced squad ravaged with injuries. So Sheridan started off by being dealt a poor hand, that doesn't mean he hasn't also played it badly.

We had a decent striker lined up from a Championship side and Wellens pushed back on it.
What a mistake that looks now.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:12:30 »

Covid is the first thing to blame - I don;t know why us more than others, but that has certainly messed with the players.  From the odd pre-season, to playing loads of games quickly, to no crowds, to the mental impact of just living in these times etc.  It's clearly, in my mind, behind the concentration issues and our injuries.

Wellens gets some blame for not realising the fact this season was going to be very different and we needed a team of mentally tough characters who could bond and work through a tough season, aiming first and foremost to make it to the end, then worry about how high.  He compounded the issue by using the same approach as last year for type of player, but wasn't able (due to the Covid impact on finances) to get the higher standard.  We've ended up with a slightly short of a full squad capable of making a run at Div 4 if we were playing a normal season.

Power gets blame for being Power - not a time for an absent owner without any money and a bunch of legal cases hanging over his neck.

Sheridan gets blame for clearly just not being invested.  He's got very little clue about the squad still, that shows in his interviews, and he's equally as absent as Power it seems.  His formation has changed for every game I think, all close to every game.  You cannot expect to find any sort of form by doing that.  Players, already mentally shot, will pick up on a lack of clear leadership and use it as an excuse.  An easy way to avoid being too critical of yourself and doubling down your focus on improving.

It's a perfect storm.

The best we can hope for is a return from injury of the key players - starting to happen.

Then we need a settled formation and approach to the game.

The best players in this squad have it in them to compete - we are then relying on them gaining the necessary focus and pulling together.

There is a chance, is slim, relying on the stars aligning a bit, but we've taken a shit load of bad luck already, so maybe it will balance out?

Palmer needs to return, and Twine.  Find a left back or right back to fill Donohue's slot.  If we can get a forward great.

Superb post that.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:43:45 »

Excellent post Rob.

Power (and perhaps Wellens, but I guess he was being as frugal as possible) being so short sighted is also to blame. Constant use of loans and 1 year contracts has hit us fairly hard. We were playing last season knowing full well the vast majority of the best players could leave for free. Seems to be a game we play every season and whilst it will have the odd success (14/15 arguably, and last season) it will always come back and bite us at some point.

Power doesn't want to be here, and it's glaringly obvious it's 'just a job' for Sheridan (that doesn't mean he doesn't want to do well of course). The entire infrastructure of the club needs to be rebuilt IMO. A chairman / owner who wants to build something long term and at least have SOME ambition would be ideal.

I was listening to Charlton's (non) owner Thomas Sandgaard on TalkSport yesterday and listening to him say "I want to get this club to the top level, we want to be a big part of the community, I want to get fans excited" made me feel so jealous. It could all be hot air but at least he's saying it. I have defender Power a fair amount without ever being a fan of his, but his complete lack of ambition and his "well, we're lucky to just get by" does get to me sometimes. I guess this is what it is to be a Swindon Town fan but fuck me, wouldn't it be nice to have someone in charge who could see Swindon as a club in a huge town with a lot of potential that needs a big kick up the arse.

Might be a daydreamer but I honestly think the potential to turn this club into a big, successful asset for the Town is huge. The population of Swindon is huge, and still growing quickly.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:54:16 »

From the Donny forum, gives us something to think about.

Swindon were loads better than I thought they would be. Nothing dropped for them in the box but they gave as good as they got otherwise. If that's the quality of teams in the bottom four then we have our work cut out in the next couple of games.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 14:58:49 »

Excellent post Rob.

Power (and perhaps Wellens, but I guess he was being as frugal as possible) being so short sighted is also to blame. Constant use of loans and 1 year contracts has hit us fairly hard. We were playing last season knowing full well the vast majority of the best players could leave for free. Seems to be a game we play every season and whilst it will have the odd success (14/15 arguably, and last season) it will always come back and bite us at some point.

Power doesn't want to be here, and it's glaringly obvious it's 'just a job' for Sheridan (that doesn't mean he doesn't want to do well of course). The entire infrastructure of the club needs to be rebuilt IMO. A chairman / owner who wants to build something long term and at least have SOME ambition would be ideal.

I was listening to Charlton's (non) owner Thomas Sandgaard on TalkSport yesterday and listening to him say "I want to get this club to the top level, we want to be a big part of the community, I want to get fans excited" made me feel so jealous. It could all be hot air but at least he's saying it. I have defender Power a fair amount without ever being a fan of his, but his complete lack of ambition and his "well, we're lucky to just get by" does get to me sometimes. I guess this is what it is to be a Swindon Town fan but fuck me, wouldn't it be nice to have someone in charge who could see Swindon as a club in a huge town with a lot of potential that needs a big kick up the arse.

Might be a daydreamer but I honestly think the potential to turn this club into a big, successful asset for the Town is huge. The population of Swindon is huge, and still growing quickly.

Great post and completely agree.. It really annoys me we haven't heard from LP since Wellens left and that was only because he had to. Very very poor.

We need an owner who wants to be here to help us move forward and inject some passion back in the club.. RW had that passion but since he has left i have seen this passion and spark dwindle again. Sherry Sheridan isnt the man for us, hes a low budget stop gap.

My view is we need fresh ownership and passion from a  new owner ASAP before we do go too far backward from the highs of last season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 15:47:11 »

Superb post that.
Agree, very well said Rob
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 23:53:45 »

Bamboo's got a bee in his bonnet 'bout booze.

Bzzzzz!  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 14:25:54 »

Football clubs lose money every year. To own one you’ve either got to be prepared to prop them up with your own money or be able to sell players on quicker than you lose money.

Football owners are usually either hopeless romantics or ruthless get rich quick (or slow) schemers. They are probably not helped by most clubs lacking strategic direction from their full time staff (eg. Directors of football who know what they are doing). How many clubs have clear links between academy and 1st team, and already have replacement players and managers lined up for when the existing ones move on for a profit?

Southampton and Brentford both come to mind, but many others?

There is such potential in English club football for better management. If you’ve watched the film Moneyball, you might have thought like me that surely it is only a matter of time where clubs are run by Cambridge graduates and the days of having the likes of Tim Sherwood as DoF will be a distant memory. A huge culture shift would have to take place but I think it’s already happening.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 14:27:39 »

Liverpool have a Throw-in Coach
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #324 on: Friday, December 18, 2020, 14:36:38 »

Liverpool have a Throw-in Coach
Our long throw ins are awful this season, often taken by Odimayo or Grounds who rarely throw past the first man despite putting huge amounts of effort into them.

That said we don't have any players who would threaten the opposition goal from them anyway even if the delivery was brilliant.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: