Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 226092 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #1710 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 13:32:49 »

We should be in league two. We’re a yo-yo club between the bottom two divisions and have been for the last 10-15 years. That’s our place in football at this time

I just don't agree. I hate the 'which club is bigger' shite that gets bandied about, but we are simply too big a club for league 2. 

The only reason we've been up and down is poor management of the club - not the club itself.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1711 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 13:36:19 »

In the 21 years of this century we’ve been in the bottom league for just 5 seasons. The rest were between the now Championship and L1.

Talking bollocks. Again.
And over the entire 63 year history of Div 3 and div 4 split Swindon Town have only been in division 4 (L2) for a total of 9 seasons.

In 3 of those seasons we were promoted as champions too.

We are in L2 on merit but to say this is our natural home is bollocks.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #1712 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 13:37:39 »

In the 21 years of this century we’ve been in the bottom league for just 5 seasons. The rest were between the now Championship and L1.

Talking bollocks. Again.

Um we have been in the championship once in last 21 years and that was 2000.

Since then 5 seasons in L2 soon to be 6 and rest in L1 with 3 or so playoff attempts.

So for younger supporters this is all we know and probably believe this is who we are now. No thanks to management and ownership.

The potential is there with the right backing.

We are now a yo yo team between bottom 2 leagues where really we should be a yo yo team between championship and league 1
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1713 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 13:44:59 »

We'll be a big club when we're in the National League in a years time that's certain enough!
Flashheart

« Reply #1714 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 13:46:48 »

To claim we should be in L2 completely overlooks all of the shit we've had to put up with regarding owners etc this century - as though we've been reasonably well run but could still not complete.

As others have said - it's bollocks. The steaming variety.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1715 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 13:55:26 »

Old town red summed it up

As of next season, almost half of the previous eleven years were spent in league two, across numerous different ownerships and managements. We are where we deserve to be because of mismanagement on and off the pitch.

Doesn’t give a flying fuck what happened thirty years ago, or how big and successful we could be. That’s not being realised and hasn’t been realised, and at present looks incredibly unlikely to be realised. The potential is there, sure. But it’s unrealised potential, and means unrealised is worth the root of fuck all

At this point in time, out of the hundred and twenty odd years that this football club has existed, it’s a yo-yo club between the bottom two divisions. You can’t argue against that, it’s backed up in fact

Things get better but they never get good
Flashheart

« Reply #1716 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:00:36 »

We are where we deserve to be because of mismanagement on and off the pitch.

That doesn't make sense. It's circular.

We are where we are because of mismanagement, but it is not where we deserve to be.

It would only make sense if the club deserves to be mismanaged, but how could that possibly be the case? Do we deserve to be mismanaged because we've been mismanaged? It's circular.

I think this might just be a semantic dispute. I don't think anybody is denying that our current league position is deserved due to not being good enough last season - if that is what's being argued here.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:12:35 by Flashheart » Logged
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #1717 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:03:50 »

Old town red summed it up

As of next season, almost half of the previous eleven years were spent in league two, across numerous different ownerships and managements. We are where we deserve to be because of mismanagement on and off the pitch.

Doesn’t give a flying fuck what happened thirty years ago, or how big and successful we could be. That’s not being realised and hasn’t been realised, and at present looks incredibly unlikely to be realised. The potential is there, sure. But it’s unrealised potential, and means unrealised is worth the root of fuck all

At this point in time, out of the hundred and twenty odd years that this football club has existed, it’s a yo-yo club between the bottom two divisions. You can’t argue against that, it’s backed up in fact

Does seem unlikely to be realised with the gap between championship and league 1 ever increasing and lower league teams being left behind.

Yeah you get the odd Wycombe getting promoted but straight back down they went. Rotherham have been yo yo for past 4/5 years and can’t stay in the championship more than a season.

Unless we get big money bollocks come in, it’s increasingly hard.

Anyway back to the thread topic. I’m not too bothered who we get in as manager as they can’t be any worse than Sheridan and I just want someone in as soon as possible to start building a team. Just someone who can steady the ship until ownership is sorted. Currently next season is going to be tough.

It’s frustrating seeing the club congratulate Marty Taylor getting a managers job when we still need one.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #1718 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:10:01 »

The mega rich seem to want an English football club as a plaything and the top 50 odd league spots in the pyramid have already been bought up. If STFC make it back to div 3, climbing out of the division, without significant investment, is likely to be a big ask.

For whatever reason, it appears that STFC is not the vehicle of choice for those who dream of awakening a sleeping giant and taking the to the PL (or PL2 when that starts).  Sadly, even Wrexham are much more attractive proposition.

Times change and football moves on. STFC has found its (current) place in the natural order of things. That's not to say things can't change, and I hope they will.  In the short to medium term, it appears unlikely.

Nothing to see here
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #1719 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:11:20 »

I assume that the Fowler appointment is dead in the water?

Nothing to see here
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1720 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:11:40 »

we have enough about us to sustain l1 with the odd promotion push. That's where we should be

we are not anywhere near the championship

however, that's assuming we are well run. we aren't.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1721 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:13:04 »

Quote from: JBZ
I assume that the Fowler appointment is dead in the water?

I assumed it was never a serious option.

Typical Power MO when shit hits the fan

I'm still waiting for Clayton Donaldson & co
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1722 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 14:26:48 »

Aren't we ranked at somewhere like 57 in the 92 league clubs, I didn't realise there were 35 teams in league 2 BD?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1723 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 15:12:19 »

Aren't we ranked at somewhere like 57 in the 92 league clubs, I didn't realise there were 35 teams in league 2 BD?

I’m assuming that kind of ranking would be based on all time record, rather than recent record as I was referring too

Things get better but they never get good
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1724 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 15:14:22 »

It is, but you could have just stated we should be and are in league 2 because we were shite this season  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: