Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225740 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1245 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 10:48:25 »

Wellens made the right decision for him and his family, during a Pandemic, with more knowledge and visibilty than us of the further shit storm that was about to hit the club.  There isn't one person on here that wouldn't put their family over their job/club irrelevant of what he said or how what he said was perceived.

Anyway, bigger fish to fry at the moment - let's make sure we have a club to support and then worry about who will be at the healm then.

I agree with what you have said but will also add in the fact Wellens knew he’d built a poor squad that was going to struggle.

I wouldn’t want him back and my opinion on him is well known.
Doncaster seems like a logical choice for him / them. I’ll be genuinely interested to see how he gets on in job 4.

If we were going to get an ex manager back it would of course be Paolo Di Canio
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1246 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:15:05 »

I agree with what you have said but will also add in the fact Wellens knew he’d built a poor squad that was going to struggle.

If we were going to get an ex manager back it would of course be Paolo Di Canio

Tbf, his ability to build a squad was significantly hampered by the pandemic and the reluctance of the owner to spend any money - that's what I meant by Wellens having the visibility of the pending shit show that we didn't see.  He lost players that he wanted to re-sign, and was unable to attract the level of players that he wanted because of the above.  However, he couldn't just sit there and sulk, he had a short window to get players in in time for the start of the season and did the best with what he had avaialable I believe.  They weren't all shit, 2 of the Smith's looked decent signings - he screws up with the Gk, and was hampered financially in replacing Doyle and Yates, however every manager screws up with some signings.

As for Di Canio - loved his stye of football, but his managment style makes Sheridan look like he was a nursery school teacher.  He would also bankrupt the club with his expectations, and if they weren't met he just wouldn't rock up here - simple.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:22:26 »

Tbf, his ability to build a squad was significantly hampered by the pandemic and the reluctance of the owner to spend any money - that's what I meant by Wellens having the visibility of the pending shit show that we didn't see.  He lost players that he wanted to re-sign, and was unable to attract the level of players that he wanted because of the above.  However, he couldn't just sit there and sulk, he had a short window to get players in in time for the start of the season and did the best with what he had avaialable I believe.  They weren't all shit, 2 of the Smith's looked decent signings - he screws up with the Gk, and was hampered financially in replacing Doyle and Yates, however every manager screws up with some signings.

As for Di Canio - loved his stye of football, but his managment style makes Sheridan look like he was a nursery school teacher.  He would also bankrupt the club with his expectations, and if they weren't met he just wouldn't rock up here - simple.

No doubt it’s not as simple as ‘Wellens built a poor squad’ there are many intangibles as to why he built he built a poor squad but he did so.

Di Canio’s management style was to take no shit and get the very best out of the players who wanted it. He also won games - which is something a lot of our managers do well!!!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1248 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:24:29 »

As for Di Canio - loved his stye of football, but his managment style makes Sheridan look like he was a nursery school teacher.  He would also bankrupt the club with his expectations, and if they weren't met he just wouldn't rock up here - simple.
Definately this!

It was a great ride but he was like a bucking bronco at times throwing stuff off in every direction and he needs huge backing financially, something not many teams could cope with.

It was fun though at the time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:36:36 »

No doubt it’s not as simple as ‘Wellens built a poor squad’ there are many intangibles as to why he built he built a poor squad but he did so..............
Kovar was unforgiveable.  I'd have rather played Curran in goal.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1250 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:42:16 »

Di Canio’s management style was to take no shit and get the very best out of the players who wanted it. He also won games - which is something a lot of our managers do well!!!

He also alienated pretty much an entire squad during his time here, similar to what Sheridan did.  I don't deny he was successful, but longterm that just isn't sustainable as his time here showed.  If being lucky was labelled at Wellens for his Championship winning season then Di Canio had a fair bit of luck also with the players he had at his disposal and was allowed to bring in constantly over his Championship season.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:45:31 »

Kovar was unforgiveable.  I'd have rather played Curran in goal.

The season isn't over yet  Wink
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:48:45 »

Di Canio made many more mistakes in the transfer market than Wellens did but was lucky to have Black's deep pockets and Wray's desire to keep him happy.

People keep saying Wellens got lucky with Doyle & Yates scoring so many, Di Canio likewise got lucky with having to put McCormack in at emergency CB and stumbling on a foundation on which to build his/our success.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:51:47 »

Quote from: 4D
The season isn't over yet  Wink

I disagree Wink
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 11:56:56 »

Well, I mean there are games left  Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 13:09:09 »

Should always move forwards, never back. 

You talking about Pawns in chess again?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 14:54:22 »

You talking about Pawns in chess again?  Hmmm

Of all the men and women in the footballing world who might be willing/able to manage a soon to be div 4 club, why the slight obsession with those individuals who have previously managed STFC? 

Nothing to see here
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1257 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 14:58:39 »

Be like dating an old girlfriend  No
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 15:22:51 »

Of all the men and women in the footballing world who might be willing/able to manage a soon to be div 4 club, why the slight obsession with those individuals who have previously managed STFC? 

No harm in wanting someone that we like and know can be quite good. Obviously has a pleasing style of football and has an eye for a player.

I think Wellens will end up at Donny regardless (unless they've appointed a manager already and I missed it).
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1259 on: Thursday, April 22, 2021, 17:25:27 »

No harm in wanting someone that we like and know can be quite good. Obviously has a pleasing style of football and has an eye for a player.

I think Wellens will end up at Donny regardless (unless they've appointed a manager already and I missed it).
I agree, and no they havent, they have an interim manager until the end of the season, Andy Butler.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: