Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225774 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1050 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 22:51:25 »

In all honesty, I think we are stuck with Sheridan & Wright until;

(a) a takeover; thus change of controlling stake.
(b) contract expiry (end of season).
(c) they walk.

Power won't sack as he'll* have to pay, so (a) is pretty likely out of the question unless fan mutiny were grow, matched against worsening results but even then, would he put anyone new in place other than someone from within/player...(b) is clearly too long and we'll already know Town's fate but this seems the most likely to happen...(c) correlates with (a) in that Power likely won't sack them so from a personal finance PoV, why would they even walk other than honour...can't see that myself.

It's not looking good Boo and it's hard to see any way out of the mess we're in as Power isn't likely to buy any decent players in January and who would want to come here on loan who is any good and also league one quality

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 22:56:06 »

True Paul but I suppose maybe that project had turned sour long before it was in the place it is now? I genuinely don't know enough about Grimsby (I've heard the water is lovely) to make a well informed opinion though.

I know you're being tongue in cheek when mentioning Sheridan as looking "world beating", it makes me think of a certain PM when talking about test and trace  Cheesy

I don't know, I think Holloway would still have one last burst of life in him to take the job to task. Whereas I don't think (for a many number of reasons) that Sheridan has any fight left in him.
Just seems bizarre that you're so set on getting rid of Sheridan that you want to replace him with someone who's most recent track record is actually worse.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 23:01:41 »

Just seems bizarre that you're so set on getting rid of Sheridan that you want to replace him with someone who's most recent track record is actually worse.

I can see why you might think that but if you read the last paragraph - I think this explains my reasoning.

Sheridan - No fight/Not up for it/Hasn't a clue.
Holloway - Nuttier than a Topic but probably has some fight left in him/would be up for it/not sure about the having a clue bit

Cheesy

Edit: Also don't think Town are spoilt for choice. Although I wouldn't mind giving Ricketts a fresh chance. Still don't think he is as shit as his last job suggests and has a chance to put things right. However, I reckon Holloway would be entertaining if nothing else.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 23:03:39 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 23:41:02 »

I can see why you might think that but if you read the last paragraph - I think this explains my reasoning.

Sheridan - No fight/Not up for it/Hasn't a clue.
Holloway - Nuttier than a Topic but probably has some fight left in him/would be up for it/not sure about the having a clue bit

Cheesy

Edit: Also don't think Town are spoilt for choice. Although I wouldn't mind giving Ricketts a fresh chance. Still don't think he is as shit as his last job suggests and has a chance to put things right. However, I reckon Holloway would be entertaining if nothing else.

Coterill has got Shrewsbury up to 16th in the league with the same players!

So, give no fucks
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2020, 23:57:34 »

I really do not understand the logic in the discussion of replacing Sheridan at all for the rest of the season. In every game since he’s arrived, we’ve shown glimpses of what we can achieve if we play at our best. We’ve got a window kicking off in a few days where hopefully a few players that continuously let us down this season will be offski and Jewell will have been working his magic in the background to land the reinforcements we need. I agree with others and stand by my previous comments that we’re really not far off from being a decent team that can compete in the top half of this league.

It’s been a tough season so far, not a lot of joy and a lot of tired legs. Our previous manager bottled it from the fight and fuck off because his heart wasn’t in it. Now, if there are players that don’t have have the heart to wear the shirt, earn their wages or perform to the standard expected of them - quite frankly they can fuck off. In John Sheridan and Tommy Wright I trust to sort the team out, get them playing well and turn this ship around.

Regardless of who the manager is, who the owner of the club is, none of that has an impact on Baudry making one of his million diagonal passes actually reach a red shirt, nor does it have any impact on Grounds ball watching like a tree stump as an opposition striker breeze past him OR does it prevent Kovar from being beaten on his near post.

We have some of players to do this, we’re not a million miles away from turning this around but where we would normally have time in between games, but due to Covid, the games are coming at us faster than we can recover.

I have no doubt the players had the riot act read to them at half time against MK and the impact from the management team on the bench was that we made 3 subs at half time that made a massive difference. Unless someone can point it out to me, not once have I see anyone give Sheridan or Wright credit for that on here.

Stop the negativity, get behind the good players we have that will make a difference and let’s kick on. Reality check. This is Swindon Town and we’ve got a transfer window to sort this team out and get firing again. Don’t write off the Board or Management without giving them a chance to play their full hand. If we’re still fucked by mid-Feb, then whinge and complain all you like.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 00:14:14 »

Coterill has got Shrewsbury up to 16th in the league with the same players!

Indeed and he is arguably even nuttier than Holloway!

'Incessant Nonsense'

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 00:27:28 »

I really do not understand the logic in the discussion of replacing Sheridan at all for the rest of the season. In every game since he’s arrived, we’ve shown glimpses of what we can achieve if we play at our best. We’ve got a window kicking off in a few days where hopefully a few players that continuously let us down this season will be offski and Jewell will have been working his magic in the background to land the reinforcements we need. I agree with others and stand by my previous comments that we’re really not far off from being a decent team that can compete in the top half of this league.

It’s been a tough season so far, not a lot of joy and a lot of tired legs. Our previous manager bottled it from the fight and fuck off because his heart wasn’t in it. Now, if there are players that don’t have have the heart to wear the shirt, earn their wages or perform to the standard expected of them - quite frankly they can fuck off. In John Sheridan and Tommy Wright I trust to sort the team out, get them playing well and turn this ship around.

Regardless of who the manager is, who the owner of the club is, none of that has an impact on Baudry making one of his million diagonal passes actually reach a red shirt, nor does it have any impact on Grounds ball watching like a tree stump as an opposition striker breeze past him OR does it prevent Kovar from being beaten on his near post.

We have some of players to do this, we’re not a million miles away from turning this around but where we would normally have time in between games, but due to Covid, the games are coming at us faster than we can recover.

I have no doubt the players had the riot act read to them at half time against MK and the impact from the management team on the bench was that we made 3 subs at half time that made a massive difference. Unless someone can point it out to me, not once have I see anyone give Sheridan or Wright credit for that on here.

Stop the negativity, get behind the good players we have that will make a difference and let’s kick on. Reality check. This is Swindon Town and we’ve got a transfer window to sort this team out and get firing again. Don’t write off the Board or Management without giving them a chance to play their full hand. If we’re still fucked by mid-Feb, then whinge and complain all you like.

I can explain the logic in replacing him. he is making the same mistakes EVERY single week with his lineups and is not learning from them and doesn't know how to create a team to attack which ends up being boring as fuck to watch.

3 subs at half time may have made a difference, (we were 3-1 down at home!) just like at the end of most matches when changes are made. It is showing he is reactive and not proactive in his selections.

at the start of the season we started getting some good performances- not as much results. now we are getting consistantly shocking performances and shocking results.

we had more rest than Franchise last match, we had extra time on the training pitch, we have players returning from injuries. we get smashed 4-1 by a team close to us the league table.

Sheridans record so far:

11 games- average goals scored 1.09, average goals conceded 2.09.

Pre-Sheridan:

9 games- average goals scored 1.66, average goals conceded 1.77.

He is lining up with players in the wrong positions, in a defensive mindset and we concede more goals and score less as a result. I have seen enough shit from swindon sides in the past to know what a relegation side looks like.

Kovar
Fryers- Conroy- Odemayo- Caddis (Hunt)
J Smith (Stevens)- Grant (Lyden) - M Smith- DJ (Hope)
J Smith- Pitman

This is not a team deprived of goals and a team that would win 2 in 11. This is not the horrific squad that our peformances and results reflect.

Instead we see the same failing cb partnerships and our best cb in midfield, no natural full backs starting, no strike partnerships and an imbalance all over the shop. for all of jonny smiths criticism he is our most creative player going forward- he clearly players better with a caddis and options of support. this gaffa played him at lwb recently!

As much as I detest Wellens for leaving, our results and performances would be nowhere near this standard. You can forgive results, you can't forgive the performances like that every week and i honestly think its all down to the selections, formations and instructions that are forcing them.

Likewise mistakes happen- we have had about 3 seasons worth of mistakes already this season. Sheridan can't be blamed for some of these errors- but its not like we have played well except for them.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 00:30:45 by singingiiiffy » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 00:45:31 »

...stand by my previous comments that we’re really not far off from being a decent team that can compete in the top half of this league.

...if there are players that don’t have have the heart to wear the shirt, earn their wages or perform to the standard expected of them - quite frankly they can fuck off. In John Sheridan and Tommy Wright I trust to sort the team out, get them playing well and turn this ship around.

Regardless of who the manager is, who the owner of the club is, none of that has an impact on ...

made 3 subs at half time that made a massive difference. Unless someone can point it out to me, not once have I see anyone give Sheridan or Wright credit for that on here.

1. That's because this league is a lot weaker than we have seen in previous years (especially so when Town have been in it), which also shows how poor Town must also be.

2. Really? I think it also stems from that the manager doesn't also seem up to it. TW may well have got a bit of his nape up last night but he was only covering his own ass. It also shows how outdated their management style is. They keep banging on about people having to be vocal. You don't need to be giving everyone a bollocking every 5seconds, in fact for some players (and employees) that just won't work. They are out of touch and losing the dressing room as well as faith in the fans. Unless we want a squad of Chris Robertsons and other lower league mouthy twats then L2 will likely be the direction. Good management at any relative level seeks to understand and manage it's players/staff according to how they respond to certain treatment. It's called people engagement now days. These pair don;t have it.

3. Maybe it does have an impact though. Especially if things off the field are more distracting/concerning than off it - especially when lumping covid into the mix. uncertainty can befell the greatest of any man/woman/business/sportsperson. Relative point in case; confidence bashed Joe Hart. He was (I still believe is somewhere) an exceptionally talented keeper. Made a few blunders and his psyche has never really recovered. It's cost him his place as an England No.1 (and two and three) but there is no doubt the ability is still there somewhere. I think a similar thing has happened to some of the better Town players.

4. I think that is largely that the team then played in the positions that they are professionally assigned to play. Maybe we could say bravo to JS&TW for this but surely from a tactical point of view, you play your strongest side in their strongest positions from the outset. A half decent management team would recognise this during the 10 day period of training and strategy whilst planning for this game. Not halfway through the fucker when then game had already been lost? Possible why they aren't obtaining top end plaudits.

5. I'm not sure how old you are or your length of time following Town but I do admire your positivity. I'm considered too positive for the TEF at times...the thing is FDB, i hate to break it to you but in this coming transfer window (unless new ownership comes in) Town have no money to spend in it. There will be some shuffling of the pack and whatever is left of favours done via whatever limited contacts (Power has been good at burning nearly every bridge sourced. Even those that are the main funders have seemingly had enough after being hustled out of several million) but I seriously can't see anyone wanting to sign for us right now - in fact for different reasons we have had 3 staff under contract leave the club. Who's next? Or who next asks to have their contract ripped up? The big rumour is Grant.

On another note people talk about who we should send back from the loan spots but I'm more concerned about the loans Town want to keep and their parent clubs recalling them to loan to a better club (I'm talking M&J Smith in all honesty). I'm concerned because I don't think of those two loans, we would currently get or source better ones. Like I say, currently the clubs toxicity is at extreme alert level. Barge poles and all that.

To coin a well known phrase "There is no manney Shawnn!!"

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 02:37:30 »

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Sheridan will turn this around.  Ever game has been different, suggesting we are simply chucking shit at a wall and seeing if anything sticks.  Different formations, players being moved about and no obvious sign of a "way to play".  At their best, the squad can manage mid table.  They are not at their best, ravaged by injuries and mentally shot thanks to a host of reasons - Sheridan is showing nothing that will turn any of that around.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1059 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 07:52:34 »

I’d rather have Holloway than Sheridan based purely on the fact he’s more likely to motivate the players.
Don’t think his tactics or selections would be any better, nor the way we play with the ball. Nor could he spot us making school boy mistakes.
Might see a bit more effort though.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 08:58:26 »

5. I'm not sure how old you are or your length of time following Town but I do admire your positivity. I'm considered too positive for the TEF at times...the thing is FDB, i hate to break it to you but in this coming transfer window (unless new ownership comes in) Town have no money to spend in it. There will be some shuffling of the pack and whatever is left of favours done via whatever limited contacts (Power has been good at burning nearly every bridge sourced. Even those that are the main funders have seemingly had enough after being hustled out of several million) but I seriously can't see anyone wanting to sign for us right now - in fact for different reasons we have had 3 staff under contract leave the club. Who's next? Or who next asks to have their contract ripped up? The big rumour is Grant.

Please don't patronise posters who take the time to set out their thinking in detail.  The manager debate is not black/white, and none of these points deserve ridicule.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 09:32:30 »

Holloway hasn’t fallen off a cliff since his Blackpool stint has he?? Grimsby hasn’t ended well, but he got palace promoted to the premiership, and kept qpr and millwall bobbing along in the championship for a spell (until it admittedly went sour at both)

I’d take bobbing along in league one for the rest of the year

We also know for a fact that he once watched a game in the town end - how many other town managers, prospective or otherwise, can say that

Things get better but they never get good
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #1062 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 09:41:32 »

I can’t see Sheridan walking or Power having the will to fire him considering the current financial circumstances. It appears we are limping along to relegation. Things might look very differently next season if we can get back to watching games in the ground and the take over goes through. But it’s a BIG IF
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 09:42:33 »

I don’t know how old Drummer Boy is but I remember him in the Town End during the Kingy days (unsurprisingly he was the one with the drum) and posting on the original thisisSTFC. I think he was early teens then...

So, he’s got to be around the 30 mark with a minimum of 17 years watching the Town home and away.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: Thursday, December 31, 2020, 09:43:07 »

Not that those musings have any relevance to anything related to our manager.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: