Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225665 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #885 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:11:39 »

If he's going 442, Hope and Pitman and a recall for Scott Twine as backup could be incoming
Twine has no recall option in his contract with Newport until January. I have a feeling he will be recalled then though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:12:23 »

His general record is good enough I think - promoted Chesterfield, got close with Oldham and Plymouth in very different circumstances.  He has also been around when the situation has turned a bit messy for the club, so maybe he's a good 18 month Manager, which is more than enough for now.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #887 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:16:45 »

Plymouth friend just warned me to look out for hoofball. Would be a shame if we took a step back in that respect, but certainly this year our defenders need to get a bit smarter about fannying around on the edge of the area.
Yes he did mix it up a lot at Plymouth but at Fleetwood was preaised for his attcking style of football.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-plymouth-argyle-manager-john-1276885

Former Plymouth Argyle manager John Sheridan has been praised for his attacking philosophy as he looks to save Fleetwood Town from relegation.

The Cod Army sacked manager Uwe Rosler after a poor run of results saw them, slide from the fringes of the play-off zone to just outside the bottom four, despite significant investment at Highbury Stadium during the January transfer window.

Sheridan’s first game in charge ended in a 1-1 draw with fellow relegation strugglers Franchise, but Fleetwood striker Ash Taylor has already seen an improvement under the guidance of the former Argyle and Oldham boss.

He likes to play attacking football, and let the defenders defend and the attackers attack. That is a positive for the strikers and I hope I’ll enjoy playing under him.

I’ve not really got to know him properly yet but he has given me a lot of confidence, saying that when I’ve played against him before I did well. He just wants me to play my own game and be attack-minded.

Flashheart

« Reply #888 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:21:41 »

Yes he did mix it up a lot at Plymouth but at Fleetwood was preaised for his attcking style of football.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-plymouth-argyle-manager-john-1276885

For a little more context.

He took them over in 20th and they finished in 14th, with Sheridan managing 13 games. He had a 46% win ratio there which as we all know is promotion form.

There's a lot of positives to be taken from his record, as well as plenty of negatives, granted.
Panda Paws

« Reply #889 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:32:59 »

He's a lower league Warnock or Pulis - bit of a dinosuar, potentially a bit unsavoury but good in a crisis.

I do not want him here at the start of next season (assuming there is a next season) but will back him initially. Could be just what we need.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:34:31 »

if he does a decent job this season, why shouldn't he stay on?

Nothing to see here
Panda Paws

« Reply #891 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:35:46 »

if he does a decent job this season, why shouldn't he stay on?

Because I'm scared of dinosaur managers, and would hope with a bit of budget and fans back in we can attract someone more than a firefighter.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #892 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:45:06 »

Sheridan has courted controversy at pretty much every club he has been manager at.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239989
After he had steered the side to safety at the end of last season, Sheridan spoke of changing the team's direct approach to a more passing style of play. Although, Oldham just do not have the quality of players to deliver what he wanted.

Sunderland fans views on Sheridan.
https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/john-sheridan.1533175/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/14/notts-county-owner-alan-hardy-rips-into-scandalous-former-manager-john-sheridan

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/sheridan-primed-for-toughest-job-yet-37705335.html

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/5794943/john-sheridan-shouldnt-slagging-off-league-of-ireland-earns-wage/

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/17320690.quit-people-cant-accept-style-says-carlisle-utds-john-sheridan/

And finally what Wigan fans are saying about him.

Sheridan is poor, but again who would want to come in given the situation?

Couldn’t do any worse than the arrogant bell end we have at the moment!

A harsh title I know but he must go asap no fookin around or he will take the Coyle-Joyce trophy for keeps as the worst ever Latics manager in our clubs history. His stand of ignorant attitude to the players at extra time half time was an utter disgrace. When all said and done, these players might not be 17-18 but to alot of them it was all new and when they needed expericance, a guidance a gee up a pep talk he decided to stand back like a spoilt child who’s had just had his xbox taken off him while the Chorley player were gathered in a huddle, how fookin embarrassing.

Sheridan is like a angry never happy middle aged man who moans at everything and everyone, never content never happy and never to praise when due.I remember his post match interview after I think it was against Doncaster we he didn’t have a good word to say not one ounce of praise.

I’ve really not wanted to criticise anyone after what’s gone on but we need to get rid of Sheridan. He’s not capable of bringing the Youngsters through and throwing them under the bus is unforgivable

Although his hands were tied in some aspects, he only tightened the knot by making the strange decision to split the midfield duo that had dominated possession in the first 40 minutes and basically surrender that area of the pitch.

In the future he want’s to try biting onto that dummy and stop it from falling out. Not for me he needs to go, nothing more than a bad attitude all round

I am not completely blaming Sheridan.Lets face it ,it was a thankless task.The administrators absolutely decimated the first team squad.My main concern is that the few experienced players we have left seem to have picked up mysterious injuries.They might be genuine ,however ,if there is something more sinister going on then we really do have a problem.

I’m not on about results m8 that’s not my point, I’m on about his negative childish dummy spitting behavior you just can’t do it at this level. At the end of the day it gets you no were and causes divisions within squads so is that why we’ve so many out ?. If he left it wouldn’t surprise me if they all did come back from injury, are the senior players in a mini revolt ?.

My big burning question is, which bellend nobhead chose him Huh? did they look at his CV ? for fs. We need someone young, ambitious someone who can connect with both senior and especially the young kids

Call these young lads all you want they are right now our future like it or not and no dickhead like 5 minute Sheridan should be allowed to come in and treat them like he did.

Sheridan OUT !!! and OUT yesterday

I am no Sheridan fan ,he has made some big mistakes but my main concern is that the administration is dragging on and on and is sucking the life out of what’s left of our great club. We will continue to plummet as long as we are in this perilous position ,who ever the manager might be.

Just read he’s favorite for the Swindon job.
Let’s join hands and pray the interview goes well

Gosh 3-1 favourite Swindon must be more desperate than us.

Can we use the supporters club money to pay for his travel? One way ticket only of course.

Best news since this nightmare began. Cant believe another club actually want him. At least now we have a little bit of a chance of avoiding relegation. Thank you Swindon Town.

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:48:56 »

I am sure I have seen almost identical gripes about STFC's managers over the years.

Nothing to see here
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:50:28 »

Because I'm scared of dinosaur managers, and would hope with a bit of budget and fans back in we can attract someone more than a firefighter.

Dinosaur or pragmatist?

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 13:58:02 »

The same Alan Hardy who got his nob out and posted it on social media. Banging on about Sheridan’s ‘foul mouthed tirade’ seems mild compared to todger-gate

This was impressive, though

Fourth official Matthew Donohue was told: “You’re a f***ing c***. A c***.”

‘He then shouted at referee Eddie Ilderton: “You’re a f***ing disgrace, you’re a f***ing useless ... you’ve not f***ing got anything right today, you should be f***ing ashamed, you’re f***ing shit, my kids aren’t going to get any f***ing Christmas presents because of f***ing you.”

After Donohue reported him to Ilderton, who sent him off, Sheridan said: "You really are a c***. I'm gonna knock you out you c***".'
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 14:04:40 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #896 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 14:08:17 »

Dinosaur or pragmatist?

They're different things. Don't mind a pragmatist. Michael Flynn at Newport is phenomenally pragmatic - build a team on a budget and play the style that gets the best from that squad and environment.

But all evidence suggests Sheridan is a short-term fix, which hinders long-term planning, recruitment etc - all of the things we should be doing when back on an even keel post-COVID.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 14:09:48 »

I am sure I have seen almost identical gripes about STFC's managers over the years.

And were any of them good managers?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 14:30:40 »

Taken from the long post by the Wigan fan quoted above...

Sheridan is like a angry never happy middle aged man who moans at everything and everyone, never content never happy and never to praise when due.

Does he post on here?  Wink Cheesy
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: Thursday, November 12, 2020, 14:54:20 »

And were any of them good managers?

I will leave it with you to decide

Nothing to see here
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: