Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 226049 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #825 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:12:52 »

Am I right in remembering that prior to buying David Peach from Southampton we tried to sign Mick Channon for £250,000.
Yep that is true, a fee of between £200k and £250k was agreed but he prefered to stay with the Saints. A huge fee at the time for a 3rd division club, the proceeds of the League Cup semi final money, would have been an awesome signing what with his last of his 46 England caps coming just over a year before, he went on to play for another 3 or 4 season at Norwich and Pompey.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #826 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:27:25 »

uninspiring.

I wrote Wellens off, so will reserve judgement
Exactly this. As I have said many many times, some managers fit teams and some teams fit managers, could easily go either way.

At least he tries[i/] to play passing football at most clubs, but it depends on what he has available.

He has won L2 as a manager at Chesterfield and, of course, beat us in the EFL cup final a few years back.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-plymouth-argyle-manager-john-1276885

He likes to play attacking football, and let the defenders defend and the attackers attack. That is a positive for the strikers and I hope I’ll enjoy playing under him.

I’ve not really got to know him properly yet but he has given me a lot of confidence, saying that when I’ve played against him before I did well. He just wants me to play my own game and be attack-minded.

Interestingly this will be Shez's 4th job in 2020 after Waterford, Wigan and Chesterfield.

Underwhelming to say the least but if hes in as night watchman until the new owner/court case/end of season and can get us the results we need to stabilize the ship then fine.

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:30:18 »

Does anyone know what shape he favours? Unlike some of his other jobs, I would imagine the prospect of incoming players is virtually nil. Do our players fit his system, or will he be left with the 4-2-3-1?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:31:38 »

If his past employment record is anything to go by, he'll be off in about a fortnight for his 4th stint as manager with Oldham.

Good luck etc., anyway.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #829 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:33:33 »

Does anyone know what shape he favours? Unlike some of his other jobs, I would imagine the prospect of incoming players is virtually nil. Do our players fit his system, or will he be left with the 4-2-3-1?
At Chesterfield and Fleetwood he played old fashioned 4 4 2, not sure what hes been playing so far with Wigan though.

EDIT:

4 4 2 at Wigan too.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:34:38 »

Not forgetting that Sheridan was Carlisle’s Manager in Wellens first game where they thrashed us 0-4.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:36:06 »

I was totally underwhelmed when Wellens was appointed, this appointment beats that, groans!!  Wellens was sucessful, perhaps Sheridan's will be as well.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #832 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:39:35 »

I was totally underwhelmed when Wellens was appointed, this appointment beats that, groans!!  Wellens was sucessful, perhaps Sheridan's will be as well.
Absolutely.

And don't forget that people moaned when we appointed Hoddle, Ardiles and PdC and will moan if we appointed Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger.

brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:40:31 »

Fairly sure Tommy Wright was Sheridan’s assistant at Chesterfield
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:43:34 »

Sheridan is the opposite of almost everything we have seen be successful at town. Everyone deserves a chance but its an uninspiring choice. I hope Hunt stats as assistant and he's groomed for some sort of future boss (given Wellens worked under Sheridan before).

There are so few managerial jobs, yet the same old journeymen get jobs. Its crazy. Better have someone thats failed multiple times than someone new?!? Just crazy.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:51:30 »

To use a Reg term, ‘a jobbing lower league gaffer’ - just what is needed IMO.

To be frank - some of our supporters live in a fantasy land and I’m delighted this has brought them back down to earth.

Let’s get to next summer with our existence and League 1 status intact and we can re-visit then.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #836 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:55:27 »

Fairly sure Tommy Wright was Sheridan’s assistant at Chesterfield
And at Carlisle.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 17:59:35 »

To use a Reg term, ‘a jobbing lower league gaffer’ - just what is needed IMO.

To be frank - some of our supporters live in a fantasy land and I’m delighted this has brought them back down to earth.

Let’s get to next summer with our existence and League 1 status intact and we can re-visit then.

Some truth in that.  We are Swindon, after all.  Not Barcelona.

I think it's the culmination of a series of disappointments following promotion.  We'd all hoped we would carry a bit of momentum in to this season, and it hasn't happened like that.  Quite the opposite.

Don't know if the poster of this tweet (Juddy?) is on here, but he puts it very succinctly.

Nick Judd on Twitter

'Imagine after the Exeter euphoria in Feb being told you’d have to avoid the CG for over a year, that Doyle would choose L2 over L1, that Doughts would walk, and that the gaffer would leave for a club with an av. crowd of 3k. And that we’d replace him with John Sheridan. Crackers.'
adje

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 18:09:16 »

Anything is better than Sol fucking Campbell.
I'm whelmed

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 18:14:04 »

Dunno, but he schooled PDC in the JPT final
Nodding head

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 137   Go Up
Print