Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225849 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 22:45:13 »

It's the "Swindon is 30 to 40 miles " comment I don't get.
Valid Pint

« Reply #646 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 01:26:28 »

Oxford City who just dumped Northampton out of the FA Cup. Played progressive attractive football, really impressed with them.

Poxford Shitty really were a pile of shite in an earlier round when they just scraped through against Royal Wootton Bassett Town with a freak goal. Anyone who got off their ass to see some live football at that match would have seen. It was however Shitty's first competitive match in 6 months.

I hope this isn't a love-in with a plucky non-League side of ol' boys. They are also a bunch of cunts from Poxford.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 08:15:14 »

I must admit to skimming the past 10 pages or so, but it basically seems like now Wellens has been gone for a few days people are saying that last season was a fluke and he's been shit all along?

I don’t think anyone has said he was shit all along.

I think I got the ball rolling on this subject so will clarify my point of view.

I have not at any point said I think last season was a fluke.
What I have said it’s it’s a possibility that last season was a fluke.

I have entertained this possibility based on a few things. Firstly this seasons recruitment, whilst this season is still in its infancy most of our summer signings look pretty poor. I’d go as far as to say none of them are an improvement on last seasons teams. No one we have signed this year would get into last seasons team. Now this could all be related to budget but it’s also possible Wellens recruitment is so so (highly likely in fact as no manager gets all their signings right) And last season all our signings worked perfect and this season none of them have.

Results and performances have not been great and we’ve been making the same mistakes. Again, Wellens could quite easily coach this out of the players but it’s just as possible he would never be able to?

Even before Wellens left I mentioned that this season felt a bit Danny Wilsonish, based on the fact he put together a great team, that almost did the business but once he lost key players his replacements turned us from promotion candidates to worst team in the division.

Obviously it’s not the same under Wellens as we’ve gone up a division but the loss of key players and their replacements seems hauntingly familiar to me anyway.

Wellens might have turned it around easily and fired us up the league. He might have lost 10 in a row and been sacked. We will never know. Schrodingers manager!

tl:dr - it’s possible Wellens got lucky last season. The beginning of the season has not gone well. He’s gone and we will never know.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 08:23:01 »

You only have to look down the A420 to see how easily it is to turn to shit. Their decent loanees have gone - replaced by lower quality ones. Their defensive rock, Dickie, has gone replaced by a homegrown youngster.

Losing play off finals is regularly the death knell for the following season as the decent players who got you there are picked off and replacements aren’t as good.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:11:06 »

Can I just point out this is the new manager thread not the old one.

Any substantive rumours knocking about?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:12:10 »

Nope apart from Noel Hunt
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:28:00 »

I see Michael Flyn is now 12/1 unless I missed that before

So, give no fucks
CMT82

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:31:16 »

Wonder if Culverhouse will gain traction, although the trip to Portsmouth for King's Lynn may not have helped. Not even sure if he'd be a popular addition. Tisdale seems favourite for many; locally based, experienced and works to a budget. Should be plenty of managers seeking jobs as Swindon is, despite the current issues, an attractive proposition. Other than that, Swindon do love a wildcard...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:32:55 »

I think most fans would be happy with Tisdale but can Power afford him even if he was interested

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:36:27 »

As it stands its a buyers market, albeit dependent on the buyer having money to spend.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:50:56 »

My take is that Wellens is the biggest loss of a manager since Hoddle left as far as potential and where he could have taken us (but this obviously depends on the level of investment).  This perfect storm (Covid, ownership issues, financial situation) has meant that Wellens has moved on I don't blame him for going given the scenario he had in front of him.  Take Covid out of that perfect storm and I believe he would have stayed for the longer term plan, but it is done now and we have to move on.

It took us nearly 30 years to find a manager that I believe had the potential to take the club to that next significant level where all other managers in between IMO didn't (I don't include Di Canio because his achievements were gained by unstustainable "Football Manager" type methods) and that is my big fear.  Is it going to take us another 30 years to come across the right type of manager that Swindon needs, do we have the financial backing to compete, will we have a club in 6 months time?

Wellens is a massive loss and more significant than most realise I believe but the circumstances have meant he is gone - nobodies fault, and I don't care about all of the loyalty talk or location talk, that is just the usual lines that are churned out when a manager changes club.

It is a shit situation to be in at a time when we have little pieces to play with.  Very Swindon and very depressing.  The blame game has alrady started with fingers being pointed at Power and I fear we are in for a bleak few seasons if we manage to survive.  The only bright spark (if you can call it that) is that we are not likely to be the only club in this situation.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:54:32 »

My take is that Wellens is the biggest loss of a manager since Hoddle left as far as potential and where he could have taken us (but this obviously depends on the level of investment).  This perfect storm (Covid, ownership issues, financial situation) has meant that Wellens has moved on I don't blame him for going given the scenario he had in front of him.  Take Covid out of that perfect storm and I believe he would have stayed for the longer term plan, but it is done now and we have to move on.

It took us nearly 30 years to find a manager that I believe had the potential to take the club to that next significant level where all other managers in between IMO didn't (I don't include Di Canio because his achievements were gained by unstustainable "Football Manager" type methods) and that is my big fear.  Is it going to take us another 30 years to come across the right type of manager that Swindon needs, do we have the financial backing to compete, will we have a club in 6 months time?

Wellens is a massive loss and more significant than most realise I believe but the circumstances have meant he is gone - nobodies fault, and I don't care about all of the loyalty talk or location talk, that is just the usual lines that are churned out when a manager changes club.

It is a shit situation to be in at a time when we have little pieces to play with.  Very Swindon and very depressing.  The blame game has alrady started with fingers being pointed at Power and I fear we are in for a bleak few seasons if we manage to survive.  The only bright spark (if you can call it that) is that we are not likely to be the only club in this situation.

Excellent post and not many would disagree with your comments. I guess there was a little optimism when Steve McMahon was in charge but that was short lived

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #657 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 09:55:03 »

I don't want a new manager just "learning the ropes" I want one with at least some league management experience, this is not the time for an untried non league young manager to come in.

We need someone with a good background of coaching and man management, who can get the best from limited resources and hugely under performing decent set of players who have shown how good they can be already this season, but also how awful they can be too.

Certainly not a jobbing manager with more clubs that Tiger Woods but a manager who has stuck to his guns and stayed at 2 or 3 clubs for several seasons each and with promotions under their belt.

For me it would be Tisdale or Keith Hill, Graham Alexander has a good record but plays a poor style of football hated by Salford couple of hundred fans.

Paul Cook and Cowley will be way out of our wage allowance, Adam Murray might be a possible but with limited managerial experience.

There is no way we can possibly afford to employ any manager currently employed so that rules out Culverhouse, Garrard and Flynn, none of them inspire me anyway TBH.

A weird one on the betting is Clint Hill, assistant at Fleetwood who has never had the top job before.

Aren't you a bundle of fun this morning mate Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #658 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 10:04:31 »

I have a lot of time for what I think was the conclusion of the discussion from the LS chaps on Monday's pod: ordinarily we might want an exciting up and coming appointment in the mode of Wellens, but this season, in these circumstances, we just need someone to steady the ship and keep us up. If we get to next season, then we can maybe look at the options afresh.
Flashheart

« Reply #659 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 10:12:01 »

I have a lot of time for what I think was the conclusion of the discussion from the LS chaps on Monday's pod: ordinarily we might want an exciting up and coming appointment in the mode of Wellens, but this season, in these circumstances, we just need someone to steady the ship and keep us up. If we get to next season, then we can maybe look at the options afresh.

That's exactly how I feel.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: