Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225656 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:03:03 »

I would also add that Wellens worked out pretty quick that power never had the funds to give him better quality players to take us forward and decided to get out as soon as a good job was available
If he did "work out Power didn't have the funds to give him better quality players to take us forward", it took him over a season and a half, so he didn't work it out pretty quick. And in that time, he was demonstrably backed with funds to bring players in and by his own account he turned down 4 other job offers so he also didn't "get out as soon as a good job was available". Not a huge fan of Power either, but let's not rewrite history to suit a narrative.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:06:53 »

I wasn't suggesting that he deserved sympathy, more that it's easy to say he should sell up to a consortium with more cash, the problem might be finding one (and finding one now, not some alleged bid from Americans in Feb or whenever)
This.

The amount of people who just think someone will come in and buy the club is mind boggling, it's even less attractive now than it usually is and on those occasions we just had the likes of Brady, Donegan, BEST, Jed etc interested.
There's no evidence if Power loses that Standing and Barry will want to run the club and same goes for Clem, who I still don't trust. A lot of people seem to think Power losing the court case will be great and begin a new era, but it could actually spell the end of the club....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #587 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:14:58 »

If he did "work out Power didn't have the funds to give him better quality players to take us forward", it took him over a season and a half, so he didn't work it out pretty quick. And in that time, he was demonstrably backed with funds to bring players in and by his own account he turned down 4 other job offers so he also didn't "get out as soon as a good job was available". Not a huge fan of Power either, but let's not rewrite history to suit a narrative.
Absolutely.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:17:54 »

The only hope is that some wealthy benefactor with ties to Swindon comes in with some cash.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #589 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:18:56 »

Most other clubs in the league are operating under the same financial constraints as we are.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:21:49 »

The only hope is that some wealthy benefactor with ties to Swindon comes in with some cash.

I think 20+ years have proven that such an individual does not exist.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:23:12 »

Let’s not forget Wellens also said he’d sign for 10 years if Power doubled his salary - so he was quite happy being here as things were (salary aside).

It’s pretty obvious he foresaw us going down the shitter with the Covid constraints placed on recruitment and jumped at the first opportunity for a club who will see it out with no problems.

Flashheart

« Reply #592 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:24:22 »

I can think of one who recently quit football as a player - it might be a while before he's ready to take the plunge, though.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:26:03 »

I can think of one who recently quit football as a player - it might be a while before he's ready to take the plunge, though.

Dean Ashton?  Wink
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:27:16 »

Yes this has come up on other threads I seem to recall.  

Nothing to see here
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:30:57 »

Let’s not forget Wellens also said he’d sign for 10 years if Power doubled his salary - so he was quite happy being here as things were (salary aside).

It’s pretty obvious he foresaw us going down the shitter with the Covid constraints placed on recruitment and jumped at the first opportunity for a club who will see it out with no problems.

While there is some truth to that I'm sure, it was about this time last year we went to Salford and completely played them off the park. Both at the ground and I'm sure on here, there were plenty saying that they wouldn't be surprised if Wellens ended up at Salford next given the obvious - location, money, opportunity for a second promotion on his CV. If we were saying that last year, it may have still happened without covid
« Last Edit: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:43:51 by Boeta » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:31:12 »

The clubs that do have such a person still find things to moan about, don't worry!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:31:24 »

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:39:17 »

The clubs that do have such a person still find things to moan about, don't worry!

But that is likely to be confined to issues such as whether the pies contain animal parts ...

Nothing to see here

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:53:26 »

Revised
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: