Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225757 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:03:07 »

Hold fire.

For how long? Pending takeover court case or give Hunt a chance which could go terribly wrong

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:03:31 »

Given the furlough extension to the end of March, should a Club really be going bust?

Not sure if football contracts stipulate a number of hours, but let's say they are full-time contracts which might assume 40 hrs a week. The Club might be able to claim back 80% of the wages for all players & staff with the exception of the 8 hours training and 4 hours of games a week
Flashheart

« Reply #557 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:04:57 »

Wellens leaving may have come at a good time *if* we have a change of owner soon. Time for a fresh change, although I can't see any appointment being made before then.

I'm beginning to agree with DV that Wellens may have got lucky last season. Or that L2 is his level. I had a look online this morning and found some interesting quotes about his time at Oldham. Like this one:

“We’ve made too many individual mistakes throughout the season and that’s why we’re in this position, and I think the injuries have caught up with us as well because we’ve got a lot of players out.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11719/11360701/oldham-boss-richie-wellens-accuses-players-of-lacking-heart-after-relegation

Sound familiar?

Nothing against Hunt but I think we need a new guy to change the ethos at the club. Players making mistakes is not necessarily a reflection of their ability, but often a sign that something else is wrong. Personally, I reckon it's psychological in that they're afraid to make mistakes, which only makes the problem worse.

I also happened to find this.

“If you are worried about making mistakes, that doesn’t mean you aren’t going to make any, it can make it worse and you make more mistakes.”
- Mathieu Baudry
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-v-fleetwood-time-stand-and-be-counted-1763282

There also seems to be too many occasions at the back when they are not aware of where their own teammates are - as though they've not been drilled well enough. There's been to many wayward passes to nobody and/or an apparent lack of knowing what to do with the ball.

Let's get in an old head who can steady the players and steady the ship. I've a hunch that even Kovar is not as bad as he appears to be - he's just being made to look worse by a disorganised defence. I suppose time will tell and all that.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:05:11 »

The players are doing their jobs exactly the same as if there was no Covid. No furlough available.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:05:49 »

I'm beginning to agree with DV that Wellens may have got lucky last season.

Delusional.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:06:43 »

That would be a lot of luck.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:07:10 »

As much as everyone hates Warnock & Pulis the first thing they do is get the defence sorted out

So, give no fucks
Flashheart

« Reply #562 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:08:13 »

Delusional.

What a compelling counter-argument. It's blown me out of the water.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:08:35 »

As much as everyone hates Warnock & Pulis the first thing they do is get the defence sorted out

And would want a decent salary for taking on an appointment that would tarnish their CV

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:10:11 »

And would want a decent salary for taking on an appointment that would tarnish their CV

Not suggeting we could get Pulis but highlighting that's the type of manager we need at the moment who would focus on cutting out basic mistakes

So, give no fucks
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:15:11 »

What a compelling counter-argument. It's blown me out of the water.
Watch the games from last season and listen to Wellens' post-match interviews where he reads the game tactically better than managers in much higher divisions.

To write last season off as 'luck' is a defence mechanism. Last season was brilliant. Wellens was and will be an excellent manager imo.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #566 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:15:44 »

No matter what happens I am 100% certain no new manager will be appointed until after the court case on the 23rd November.

So it will be Hunt, if he goes to Salford and then it will be a "night watchman" like Alan Mac/LeePea until after then.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:17:31 »

If judgment isn't handed down for some time, there will be further delay.

Nothing to see here
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:18:32 »

Given the furlough extension to the end of March, should a Club really be going bust?

Not sure if football contracts stipulate a number of hours, but let's say they are full-time contracts which might assume 40 hrs a week. The Club might be able to claim back 80% of the wages for all players & staff with the exception of the 8 hours training and 4 hours of games a week

The players need to be put on Furlough to get the 80% - Furlough means they can't work.  Do you see the flaw in your plan?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:19:49 »

That would be a lot of luck.

Not really. I’ve never claimed we were a lucky team or anything like that. Just Wellens got lucky with all the players he bought in falling into place perfectly.

He’s had to a do a complete rebuild and hasn’t produced anywhere near the same results. Obviously there are many reasons as to why this might be the case. Budget for example or it might be just be a poor patch or form by the players that Wellens would have turned around because he’s a great manager - the fact he is gone means we will never know what he might have got out of this current squad but the small sample size we have and it’s not great by any stretch of the imagination.

He wouldn’t be the first (or last) Town manager to get lucky and build a great side only to never be able to recreate it. Kingy did it. Wilson did it. Cooper did it. Wellens appeared to be heading that way...
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: