Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225769 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 10:42:14 »

Why would Campbell be so unpopular??

Did a good job at Macclesfield, was on a hiding to nothing at Southend who appear the most baskety of basket cases

Feel for him to be honest, that he’s only linked with basket case clubs like us rather than more secure sides

Agree with this.

He’s done ok in almost the worst of circumstances. We were all prepared to give Wellens a chance in spite of his awful record at Oldham due to ‘circumstances’

Wouldn’t be my first choice and I’d be a bit ‘meh, could go either way’ if he was appointed but I was the same with Wellens.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 10:50:07 »

Would be fine with Campbell but I can't see a new manager coming in unless there is a Prem/EFL bailout.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:03:43 »

I wonder if there’s any reason why we’re getting so many injuries? It’s not normal is it.

So is it:
a) We’ve taken a risk and signed a shit load of injury prone players
b) Something to do with the way we’re training
c) Not preparing for games properly?

I’ve no idea but I genuinely think we’ve got maybe 14 players capable of competing at this level but the majority of them are injured. That’s the first thing any new manager needs to figure out.

It's A mainly I think. Re-signing all of Baudry, Fryers and Conroy was a mistake. Impossible to have any continuity when you have a different CB pairing most weeks.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:09:59 »

The 50mill bailout money from the PL is still on the table and the door is open for individual clubs that are in the shit to have a word as far as I'm aware.

That would involve breaking ranks though, but it must be getting close to tipping point for a number of clubs.

Wouldn't have a problem with Sol Campbell.
Wasn't always the case but beginning to think that Tisdale might be a good shout now.

Maybe our resident Exeter fan could give some pros and cons on the dapper cravat wearing one.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:12:24 »

The 50mill bailout money from the PL is still on the table and the door is open for individual clubs that are in the shit to have a word as far as I'm aware.

That would involve breaking ranks though, but it must be getting close to tipping point for a number of clubs.

Wouldn't have a problem with Sol Campbell.
Wasn't always the case but beginning to think that Tisdale might be a good shout now.

Maybe our resident Exeter fan could give some pros and cons on the dapper cravat wearing one.

Is the resident  Exeter fan still around as I haven't seen him post since we got promoted

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:14:40 »

My reasoning behind Campbell being unpopular is that I think some of our fans believe that Paul Cook or someone of that ilk will come here. FWIW I’d be pretty content if he rocked up here.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:15:48 »

My reasoning behind Campbell being unpopular is that I think some of our fans believe that Paul Cook or someone of that ilk will come here. FWIW I’d be pretty content if he rocked up here.

I think those days are well gone unless we can get a super rich owner who will give him what's he wants

So, give no fucks
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:28:38 »

I think it's a combination of all factors.

Wellens thought he could squeeze another year of performances from the older pros like Baudry, Caddis and Grant. To differing degrees they have not hit the heights of last season. A year older and a higher division will expose this. Maybe it might just take them longer to get up to speed.

The off and pre-season were different to usual years with not knowing when the season would start, nor the usual friendlies and reading Wellens comments this week maybe his heart wasn't 100% in it. Remember the 'Charlton League Cup is another friendly' comment.

So possibly under-prepared players who are include some that are injury prone at the best of times and a Saturday Tuesday schedule most weeks is a recipie for injuries.

Last season that gamble paid off for long periods. This season the squad seems unbalanced with older pros 31+ or young loans but not enough of the players with 100+ league games at this level that Wellens often talked about regularly available. It can be turned around but maybe a new manager can bring some fresh ideas.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:30:46 »

As mentioned above, Campbell has a great deal of experience in nursing moribund clubs to some form of recovery. On that basis, he could be a good fit.  Whether he would take on the ‘project’ is another matter.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 11:34:19 by JBZ » Logged

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 13:18:58 »

William Hill still got Nigel Clough st 16/1 even though he's now at Mansfield! Interestingly Dan Crowley now 8/1

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 15:28:08 »

Why would Campbell be so unpopular??
Because he's always come across as a bit of an arrogant cock, even or perhaps especially prior to his recent spate of managerial stints. FWIW, I agree he's done a good job in impossible circumstances in those jobs, and he may well have learned some humility along the way but that's why he always produces a knee-jerk "God, not him" response
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 16:55:15 »

Has Campbell really done that well? I must have missed it. (Not joking. Just thought that he went to 2-3 clubs in a blaze of glory, moaned about funds, then jumped ship leaving the departing club in a similar position).

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 17:13:28 »

Because he's always come across as a bit of an arrogant cock, even or perhaps especially prior to his recent spate of managerial stints. FWIW, I agree he's done a good job in impossible circumstances in those jobs, and he may well have learned some humility along the way but that's why he always produces a knee-jerk "God, not him" response

This for me.  He might do alright but I dislike him as a person due to his attitude, rightly or wrongly.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 17:16:06 »

This for me.  He might do alright but I dislike him as a person due to his attitude, rightly or wrongly.

Remember the time he went home st half time whilst playing for Arsenal

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #524 on: Sunday, November 8, 2020, 17:23:26 »

Has Campbell really done that well? I must have missed it. (Not joking. Just thought that he went to 2-3 clubs in a blaze of glory, moaned about funds, then jumped ship leaving the departing club in a similar position).
He left Macclesfield being owed £180k in wages so they were in breach of contract to him, he did well there TBH(relatively), he went to Southend with them 2nd from bottom and thats where they finished, he led Macc to 8 wins from 30 games and Southend to just 4 wins from 23 games.

He is also very outspoken politically and on racial matters too in the past which
antagonized some fans and does have a "holier than thou" attitude, stating that he should be given a managers job based purely upon his playing career and not for his coaching merits.

He is a self proclaimed "one of the greatest minds in football"

https://www.sportbible.com/football/transfers-rivalries-sol-campbells-agent-reveals-defender-turned-down-unbelievable-offer-20180328

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sol-campbell-reveals-turned-down-1357545

https://dailycannon.com/2018/02/laugh-fans-appalled-sol-campbells-latest-outrageous-comments/

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2018/12/celtic-hero-paddy-mccourt-sol-campbell/

He is a walking ego trip, and its a no from me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: