Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 137   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager Thread  (Read 225750 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:01:53 »

Some of his signings this pre season and the last Jan window have been poor - whether that’s because of financial constraints or not. Kovac, Stevens, Hope, Grant J, Palmer, Pitman - all not up to L1 standard.

I’m presuming Wellens wanted them and not foisted by above. I said earlier, he didn’t address the defensive side at all so he is culpable for the mess we’re in now. This run of, mainly, losses is very reminiscent of his time at Oldham where a good start degenerated into a string of losses.

Personally, I don’t think it’s as big a body blow as most think. We couldn’t go on playing as we were and he hadn’t recruited well enough to change it. Midfielder upon midfielder and no upgrading the defence.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:05:43 »

This run of, mainly, losses is very reminiscent of his time at Oldham where a good start degenerated into a string of losses.
That's quite staggering revisionism. He had an indifferent-to-mixed start here when he took over part way through the season, then an outstanding season last season in which we were promoted as PPG title champions. This season's been very mixed again, but overall it's a bit more than "good start degenerated into losses".
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:09:56 »

That's quite staggering revisionism. He had an indifferent-to-mixed start here when he took over part way through the season, then an outstanding season last season in which we were promoted as PPG title champions. This season's been very mixed again, but overall it's a bit more than "good start degenerated into losses".
I wouldn't disagree with the players bit, if money is thrown at him he will be very dangerous as he signs a lot of players and his signings are very hit and miss. Tyler Reid, Adam May, Muskwe, Palmer etc all just seemed like signings for the sake of signing someone.
For all the good football last season if Doyle didn't have a freak season we'd likely be talking about something completely different right now.
Flashheart

« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:11:25 »

Personally, I think Wellens would likely have turned it around.

But, how much longer would he have if things continued as they have been this season? We're at the stage now when the league starts to take shape - and we're near the bottom!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:17:41 »

I wouldn't disagree with the players bit, if money is thrown at him he will be very dangerous as he signs a lot of players and his signings are very hit and miss. Tyler Reid, Adam May, Muskwe, Palmer etc all just seemed like signings for the sake of signing someone.
For all the good football last season if Doyle didn't have a freak season we'd likely be talking about something completely different right now.
Quite possibly and I know everyone is feeling a little sore right now but nonetheless Wellens' time here amounted to quite a bit more than "a good start degenerated into a string of losses"
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:26:07 »

Quite possibly and I know everyone is feeling a little sore right now but nonetheless Wellens' time here amounted to quite a bit more than "a good start degenerated into a string of losses"
For all his good his managerial career still only amounts to half a good season, let’s just say he’s jumped before he gets sacked and move on.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:35:12 »

With the short term nature of playing contracts these days it’s hard to judge managers.

Was last seasons team great because of Wellens tactics and Management it was it because we had good players?  If the latter was that by luck or judgement?

There are plenty of example of managers capturing lightening in a bottle with a team put together and never being able to successfully rebuild that.

Even Cooper managed it.

This season we are a level up and with practically a new team. Who knows how it would I’ve gone for Wellens?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:39:36 »

With the short term nature of playing contracts these days it’s hard to judge managers.

Was last seasons team great because of Wellens tactics and Management it was it because we had good players?  If the latter was that by luck or judgement?

There are plenty of example of managers capturing lightening in a bottle with a team put together and never being able to successfully rebuild that.

Even Cooper managed it.

This season we are a level up and with practically a new team. Who knows how it would I’ve gone for Wellens?
I don't disagree. Could have gone either way, personally I think it's likely he'd have been able to stabilise us to lower mid table, but others may not think so. But he revived a club and a fanbase that was on it's knees in terms of morale when he came in and don't think it's unreasonable to acknowledge that.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:44:27 »

I don't disagree. Could have gone either way, personally I think it's likely he'd have been able to stabilise us to lower mid table, but others may not think so. But he revived a club and a fanbase that was on it's knees in terms of morale when he came in and don't think it's unreasonable to acknowledge that.

His time at Oldham does make me wonder.

He wouldnt be the first manager we had - who was excellent and keeping a good thing going but unable to halt a slide.

In fact to me his tenure was staring to feel a bit ‘Danny Wilsonish’
Flashheart

« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:46:35 »

Wilson was a tad 'playing OK but losing' towards the end. Lots of needless errors, if my memory serves me right...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 11:51:01 »

Was last seasons team great because of Wellens tactics and Management it was it because we had good players?  If the latter was that by luck or judgement?

As much as anything the risking recruitment of players with shite inhjury records worked by luck last season, not looking such a good approach this season.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:02:15 »

Without checking 100% Wellens won 2 of STFC’s last 12 competitive matches - losing 10. Seems like degeneration to me.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:04:32 »

Nixon:

Salford. Richie Wellens wants to take Tommy Wright with him from Swindon. Coach Wright also has a rival interest in him. That leaves Noel Hunt with a chance to stay on at Swindon. If they give him the nod.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:05:28 »

More compo. Lovely!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 12:11:54 »

Nixon:

Salford. Richie Wellens wants to take Tommy Wright with him from Swindon. Coach Wright also has a rival interest in him. That leaves Noel Hunt with a chance to stay on at Swindon. If they give him the nod.
As I said yesterday.

Noel Hunt for me, lives locally unlike Wellens, came in as Powers man. Wright to leave with Wellens.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 137   Go Up
Print
Jump to: