Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spain bans betting companies from football advertising  (Read 2119 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 09:52:40 »

New Spanish law has banned betting companies from shirts and adverts in grounds, this affects 41 of the 42 La Liga clubs

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/07/09/5f072d71ca4741a4478b45e3.html

There's been rumblings about similar moves here, although looking at what happened with Wigan they might want to have a look at prohibiting betting-related companies from *owning* clubs first.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 10:35:25 »

Half the Premier League and Championship sponsors evaporating overnight would be fun...

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 10:50:59 »

Plenty of others sports as well rely of sponsorship from betting companies.

Would be a hammer blow to multiple sports in this country if any ban were to come in.  TV adverts should be banned but nobody realistically gets a gambling addiction due to name on a shirt or title of an event.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 10, 2020, 10:54:34 by Abrahammer » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 10:56:27 »

Half the Premier League and Championship sponsors evaporating overnight would be fun...

I suspect its rather more than half?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 11:05:29 »

I suspect its rather more than half?
As the article says, it's 41 out of 42 in Spain and they have still gone ahead with it.

Plenty of others sports as well rely of sponsorship from betting companies.

Would be a hammer blow to multiple sports in this country if any ban were to come in.  TV adverts should be banned but nobody realistically gets a gambling addiction due to name on a shirt or title of an event.
Similar argument was made around banning tobacco and alcohol sponsorship IIRC. But I agree that TV adverts do far more harm than naming rights etc. Is there though also a more insidious element of betting companies having influence on clubs/leagues via sponsorship as well?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 11:24:59 »

10 of 20 in the Prem this season according to this https://www.scoreandchange.com/overview-2019-2020-premier-league-sponsors/
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 12:19:19 »

Add in the advertising hoardings and the like, it's a sizeable chunk.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 14:40:33 »

In terms of sponsorship, it really doesn't matter what is on the shirt to clubs, there will always be another industry stepping in to cough up the money. As Paul D said, the Tobacco one was supposedly going to destroy the Motorsport industry, now and probably more apt, a lot of them are sponsored by energy drinks, Monster and RedBull (yes they are a team too but double bubble there) come to mind.

The sports will always have someone else willing to throw cash at them. It's a good move though, even if it isn't so effective on a shirt or hoarding it is still a continued message of acceptance and for anyone with any kind of addiction, the slightest excuse of being able to continue is enough. I agree though, the adverts - especially the ones that focus on the types and styles of bettors...those should be pulled. Glamorising betting is never going to end well for those who identify with some of the stereotypes.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: